Trade Zeke

aria

Reaction score
No, I'm Joeking. You can spout off all the stats you want about any RB in the league. There is none that has gained more yards in the time that Zeke has been in the league than Zeke. None. You like that. You don't have to admit it but we both know, you like that. We agree he is paid too much and is trouble off the field but no one is all bad.
Most yards in the league is about the most worthless stat there is when comparing running backs. You already blamed coaching on his short falls, why do you think he has the most yards?

Hell, Barkley runs behind one of the bottom 5 O lines in the league, zeke runs behind one of the top 5, and barkley still averaged more ypc WITH a high ankle sprain.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He’s a transcendent player at top form (which for him starts about game 5 or 6), and we don’t have an adequate replacement. I actually like the guy in a way, and feel like he’d be a cool friend. But part if what makes him seem like able is his extremely laid back, happy go lucky mentality, which just keeps getting him into trouble. It’s constant! He’s an elite athlete, no doubt, but he doesn’t have elite (perhaps not even average) focus, drive, or hunger for winning. He might not get suspended for this “faded” thing, but he is in the news for something mildly or severely negative all the time, the threat of suspension is constantly over him, he’s already been suspended—which hurt the team a lot— and I think he’s likely to be suspended again at some point for something. He’s also only getting older, and the only way to mitigate the pace of Father Time at his demanding position is to have elite conditioning and elite training... which by now he clearly is not interested in doing.

At RB, a cheaper player only one or two tiers below him could be found. McCarthy’s scheme will not truly need or utilize his strengths as a ground and pound player anyway. I think the trade return we get for him and the cap savings would add up to a net benefit over the talent drop off at RB, especially given the relatively low importance of this position in modern NFL. The biggest benefit to the team, however, would be in removing the chaos, disruptions, and reliance on an unreliable player who’s out of shape for a quarter of the season even when he’s not suspended or potentially suspended.

There is something called a Salary Cap in the NFL.

Zeke just signed a new contract last season

If they trade him this off-season:
2020 Salary Cap Hit: 28.6 million.

Total paid to Zeke for 1 year of service (2019): 29.4 million.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If I'm not mistaken the Cowboys get money back if Zeke gets suspended again. They can't afford to trade him because it's too much dead money. The best they can do is make sure they have 2-3 solid running backs in case he is suspended.
Players don't get paid while suspended.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Always been a fan of Zeke but I think this new drug policy is going to end a lot of careers prematurely!

Flamma

Reaction score
Exactly my point... we can’t rely on him necessarily due to conditioning issues and off the field stuff makes it worse. He’s a heck of a player though when he gets going. I’m thinking that we could move him... not for a top 10 pick or even a first, but getting him out of here opens the road for a more dependable and affordable option.

Regardless of what you think of him, he'll be here until the 2023 season where they can choose to release him. There is no other way around it with the way the contract is structured. Regardless of his faults, it's worse for the team to release him prior to that.

To much money and trouble. Just stop. He ain’t going anywhere for 2 years. Unless he gets suspended. Then we don’t even have a good RB.

Three more seasons. His 2022 salary is guaranteed before the 2021 season even starts. So if he plays in 2021, his dead cap shoots up. He is here through 2022 and they can release him after that.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't mean just the missed game checks. Zeke loses most (if not all) guaranteed money.
https://www.prosportsdaily.com/arti...-void-almost-all-guaranteed-money-587220.html
The Cowboys have to cut him for that to come into play.

They don't get to keep him and pay him less other than the league mandated loss of game checks during the suspension.

• Scenario 1: Suspended in 2020 but not cut. Retained for both 2021 and 2022
    • Loses (1/17th of 6.8M) per game suspended.
  • Scenario 2: Suspended in 2020 and then cut after the season.
    • Does not get 2021 or 2022 salary because he was cut and those guarantees were nullified.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He’s a transcendent player at top form (which for him starts about game 5 or 6), and we don’t have an adequate replacement. I actually like the guy in a way, and feel like he’d be a cool friend. But part if what makes him seem like able is his extremely laid back, happy go lucky mentality, which just keeps getting him into trouble. It’s constant! He’s an elite athlete, no doubt, but he doesn’t have elite (perhaps not even average) focus, drive, or hunger for winning. He might not get suspended for this “faded” thing, but he is in the news for something mildly or severely negative all the time, the threat of suspension is constantly over him, he’s already been suspended—which hurt the team a lot— and I think he’s likely to be suspended again at some point for something. He’s also only getting older, and the only way to mitigate the pace of Father Time at his demanding position is to have elite conditioning and elite training... which by now he clearly is not interested in doing.

At RB, a cheaper player only one or two tiers below him could be found. McCarthy’s scheme will not truly need or utilize his strengths as a ground and pound player anyway. I think the trade return we get for him and the cap savings would add up to a net benefit over the talent drop off at RB, especially given the relatively low importance of this position in modern NFL. The biggest benefit to the team, however, would be in removing the chaos, disruptions, and reliance on an unreliable player who’s out of shape for a quarter of the season even when he’s not suspended or potentially suspended.
:espn:

BackInTown

Reaction score
The best back in the league? Yes he should.

I agree he's one of the best backs in terms of his ability to get consistent yardage running at high volume of carries, and he's got no big weaknesses on the field (he can block, catch, run inside, and run outside). He seems to be losing his home run ability but he could be an amazing game closer (the best use of an RB in the modern NFL, IMO)... however, he is one of the best players in the game at a position that is arguably less important than any other skill position, as you can find decent RBs who cost less in late rounds of draft and in FA, plus he costs a lot, has conditioning and off-field drama reliability issues (which make it unwise to build a team around him).

To what team? What would they get in the trade?

Good point. It's possible that we couldn't find one, as many others have also pointed out. I do think that there are a few teams with more cap space than us who are willing to deal with off-field shenanigans. He does at least have some value, and arguably more potential value to some other teams than to us, especially if McCarthy intends to implement his traditional passing-heavy offense.

Last edited:

JonesBoys

Reaction score
I would try to get two more top form years out of him and then sell high(no pun intended) before his value starts to drop.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
The Cowboys have to cut him for that to come into play.

They don't get to keep him and pay him less other than the league mandated loss of game checks during the suspension.

• Scenario 1: Suspended in 2020 but not cut. Retained for both 2021 and 2022
  • Scenario 2: Suspended in 2020 and then cut after the season.
    • Does not get 2021 or 2022 salary because he was cut and those guarantees were nullified.

Yea that's what I meant. The Cowboys would be able to cut him and not have it count against the cap. They could also trade him without any dead money. I thought they got back some of the signing bonus as well but I don't see anything definitive about that.

Edit: This article mentions possibly being able to recoup bonus money for "conduct detrimental to the league" but it is referring to his rookie contract, not his extension. Although I would think his new contract would have the same (or even stronger) protections.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/20...ion-base-salary-forfeit-signing-bonus-return/

Last edited:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Which is what? He continuously disappears in big games and only one SB winner in the past twenty years has had the league leading rusher.

Disappears? He was excellent in 2 or 3 playoff games.

1st playoff game: 125 yards, 5.68 average

2nd playoff game: 137 yards, 5.27 average

During the 2019 regular season he has less sub 4.0 yards/carry games than Emmitt had in 1992.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Ya Dak performed soooooo well when Zeke was out for 6 games.
In fact, he went 15 str8 Quarters of offense without 1 single TD.
You have the pulse of the team bud.....:banghead:

And Aikman performed soooooo well when Emmitt or Irvin missed games. lol.

Qcard

Reaction score
Dak Haters...Zeke straight up for Carson Wentz YES!!

Big_D

Reaction score
This would've been a good move before the new contract.