Trading For the 1 Overall Pick to Get the QB: Would You Do It?

plasticman

Reaction score
There doesn't seem to be a clear choice for the best QB prospect in next year's draft. There is no Elway or Aikman, or Manning. There is no "generational savior". The pro football analysts draft gurus seem split between three college players.

I know who the favorite is among most fans here. Of course, this will clear up at the end of next season.

My question is, could three 1st round picks and a 2nd round pick secure next year's #1 pick overall? If it could, would you be willing to make that trade?

Would you be willing to trade the Cowboys #1 picks for 2025, 2026, and 2027 plus the 2nd pick in 2025 for the 1st pick overall in the 2025 draft?

For the most part, the Cowboys do pretty good in the 1st round, 2023 draft notwithstanding. In fact, they may do too good. They are presently considering close to the max contract for two of the most recent to stay with the team.

If the Cowboys make the trade and get a QB, the Cowboys could set their future as well as alleviate some cap issues. They could sign both Lamb and Parsons with no problem. As for the #1 overall pick, it's the highest rookie contract but still a rookie contract It is still far, far lower than the alternative Dak contract.

Dak would play out his contract this season, Trey would be traded at some advantageous point. Rush may or may not stay, depending. He may even start a few games in 2025 before the #1 pick becomes the official starter. Realistically, the Cowboys could take some lumps that season.

The Cowboys wouldn't have a 1st round picks for two years but wouldn't that cash help contract negotiations for guys like Daron Bland, Tyler Smith, and Jake Ferguson?

The obvious question would be whether there is a worthy prospect once the dust settles from the 2024 college season. We know there are seasons when the #1 overall pick isn't even a quarterback. Since 2000 this has happened on an average of every four years, so it is possible. It's also possible that one of these quarterbacks separates himself from the rest and is a clear cut #1.

So....

Would you give up three #1's and a #2 for Shedeur Sanders?

How about Carson Beck from Georgia or Quinn Ewers from Texas?

Yobwocs

Reaction score
I would not. Id try to win a Super Bowl in 2025 or 2026. Dak, CD, Micah locked it. Other units will have been upgraded by then.

Offensive line hopefully features Guyton, Beebe, Smith now all Pros. Steele is probably gone. Martin maybe can give us a some more years as a seasoned veteran.

Corners are Diggs and Bland. Might have new safetys but still a solid secondary with core players.

Hopefully we'll have added some linebackers and defensive linemen by then as our last line of needs. Most Cowboys fans agree that's our weakest 2 positions. Kicker is Aubrey.

Id much rather do that than give up 3 draft picks who will in likelihood by our future starting defensive tackles and linebackers.

Desperado

Reaction score
We won't have to do that. They will either extend Dak, in which case the bed is made for the next 3-4 years, or they will let him walk without much of a fight because we were terrible. In that case we are much higher in the draft order.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I wouldn't hesitate at all to pull the trigger on a deal if you love a QB at the top. Honestly I think that you have a good enough roster that you can still be competitive for a playoff spot.

The issue I would have with this situation goes back to poor preparation for a QB transition. If you're going to go all in on trading up in the draft you should probably get rid of your current QB now. Trade him to try and offset some of the draft capital your losing.

Yobwocs

Reaction score
There doesn't seem to be a clear choice for the best QB prospect in next year's draft. There is no Elway or Aikman, or Manning. There is no "generational savior". The pro football analysts draft gurus seem split between three college players.

I know who the favorite is among most fans here. Of course, this will clear up at the end of next season.

My question is, could three 1st round picks and a 2nd round pick secure next year's #1 pick overall? If it could, would you be willing to make that trade?

Would you be willing to trade the Cowboys #1 picks for 2025, 2026, and 2027 plus the 2nd pick in 2025 for the 1st pick overall in the 2025 draft?

For the most part, the Cowboys do pretty good in the 1st round, 2023 draft notwithstanding. In fact, they may do too good. They are presently considering close to the max contract for two of the most recent to stay with the team.

If the Cowboys make the trade and get a QB, the Cowboys could set their future as well as alleviate some cap issues. They could sign both Lamb and Parsons with no problem. As for the #1 overall pick, it's the highest rookie contract but still a rookie contract It is still far, far lower than the alternative Dak contract.

Dak would play out his contract this season, Trey would be traded at some advantageous point. Rush may or may not stay, depending. He may even start a few games in 2025 before the #1 pick becomes the official starter. Realistically, the Cowboys could take some lumps that season.

The Cowboys wouldn't have a 1st round picks for two years but wouldn't that cash help contract negotiations for guys like Daron Bland, Tyler Smith, and Jake Ferguson?

The obvious question would be whether there is a worthy prospect once the dust settles from the 2024 college season. We know there are seasons when the #1 overall pick isn't even a quarterback. Since 2000 this has happened on an average of every four years, so it is possible. It's also possible that one of these quarterbacks separates himself from the rest and is a clear cut #1.

So....

I'm not giving up my future starting linebackers or defensive linemen for Quinn Ewers or Shedeur Sanders

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I would not. Id try to win a Super Bowl in 2025 or 2026. Dak, CD, Micah locked it. Other units will have been upgraded by then.

Offensive line hopefully features Guyton, Beebe, Smith now all Pros. Steele is probably gone. Martin maybe can give us a some more years as a seasoned veteran.

Corners are Diggs and Bland. Might have new safetys but still a solid secondary with core players.

Hopefully we'll have added some linebackers and defensive linemen by then as our last line of needs. Most Cowboys fans agree that's our weakest 2 positions. Kicker is Aubrey.

Id much rather do that than give up 3 draft picks who will in likelihood by our future starting defensive tackles and linebackers.
That sounds fantastic on paper, but it probably comes down to the actual contract terms we see with the three mega contracts. Hopefully we can get some flexible deals to move money around with to not cripple the teams ability to upgrade the rest of the roster.

My fear is that we lose more talent the next couple of season than we are able to bring in if free agency continues to be off the table. Over the next two years we also are going to have to make decisions on Zach Martin, DLaw, Bland, OSA, Ferguson, Tyler Smith, Aubrey, Sam Williams, Brandin Cooks as well. A lot more deals to think about than just the big three.

Setackin

radioactivecowboy88
Reaction score

So....

Yes, when Archie Manning comes out.

Yobwocs

Reaction score
That sounds fantastic on paper, but it probably comes down to the actual contract terms we see with the three mega contracts. Hopefully we can get some flexible deals to move money around with to not cripple the teams ability to upgrade the rest of the roster.

My fear is that we lose more talent the next couple of season than we are able to bring in if free agency continues to be off the table. Over the next two years we also are going to have to make decisions on Zach Martin, DLaw, Bland, OSA, Ferguson, Tyler Smith, Aubrey, Sam Williams, Brandin Cooks as well. A lot more deals to think about than just the big three.
I think D Laws gonna be gone. As for the rest, I think we can squeeze them all in. Williams and Aubrey are probably chump change.

GINeric

Reaction score

So....

Hell yeah I'd do it. Because a number 1 pick quarterback is a guaranteed success!! Oh wait.....

Jfconrow

Reaction score
We already have a first round pick in Lance. Even still, no way. There are 3-4 good QBs this year, they can get one later in the 1st

Chuck 54

Reaction score
You guys may soon relearn the NFL reality that it doesn’t matter how many high paid super stars you have on your roster. If your QB isn’t above average, you will stink.

plasticman

Reaction score
We already have a first round pick in Lance. Even still, no way. There are 3-4 good QBs this year, they can get one later in the 1st
Do you mean the #2 overall pick? The #3 overall pick?

Whatever ranking these QBs are in when it comes to the 2025 draft, they have a curious way of floating to the top the closer that day approaches.

Suppose the top pick is a DE. The team holding the #2 overall pick is probably going to require something close to the same. Ditto for #3.

At that point, I already know there wasn't a QB so good that it was practically unanimous that he would be #1 overall.