Trading For the 1 Overall Pick to Get the QB: Would You Do It?

plasticman

Reaction score
Hell yeah I'd do it. Because a number 1 pick quarterback is a guaranteed success!! Oh wait.....
Yeah, I get it. You're right, drafting a QB with the #1 overall pick does not guarantee a Super Bowl.

But it sure does increase the odds:

Out of 58 Super Bowls, the winning quarterback was a 1st round pick 32 times or 52% of the time. They were the #1 overall pick 18 of those times. They were a top ten pick 27 times.

Eleven quarterbacks have won multiple Super Bowls. Six of them were drafted #1 overall

Of course, this is a step to be taken only if he is a consensus blue chip with the proper physical traits and college resume. It could be that none of them impress enough to make the trade.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would only trade for an established QB. Moves like Stafford to LA and Brees to New Orleans paid off for those franchises. The asking price for the top pick is too high and too much of a crapshoot.

Hardline

Reaction score
If there was a clear cut franchise QB in the 25 draft you would need the worse record in the league to get him. No team is trading the 1st overall pick if there is a potential blue chip franchise QB there.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There doesn't seem to be a clear choice for the best QB prospect in next year's draft. There is no Elway or Aikman, or Manning. There is no "generational savior". The pro football analysts draft gurus seem split between three college players.

I know who the favorite is among most fans here. Of course, this will clear up at the end of next season.

My question is, could three 1st round picks and a 2nd round pick secure next year's #1 pick overall? If it could, would you be willing to make that trade?

Would you be willing to trade the Cowboys #1 picks for 2025, 2026, and 2027 plus the 2nd pick in 2025 for the 1st pick overall in the 2025 draft?

For the most part, the Cowboys do pretty good in the 1st round, 2023 draft notwithstanding. In fact, they may do too good. They are presently considering close to the max contract for two of the most recent to stay with the team.

If the Cowboys make the trade and get a QB, the Cowboys could set their future as well as alleviate some cap issues. They could sign both Lamb and Parsons with no problem. As for the #1 overall pick, it's the highest rookie contract but still a rookie contract It is still far, far lower than the alternative Dak contract.

Dak would play out his contract this season, Trey would be traded at some advantageous point. Rush may or may not stay, depending. He may even start a few games in 2025 before the #1 pick becomes the official starter. Realistically, the Cowboys could take some lumps that season.

The Cowboys wouldn't have a 1st round picks for two years but wouldn't that cash help contract negotiations for guys like Daron Bland, Tyler Smith, and Jake Ferguson?

The obvious question would be whether there is a worthy prospect once the dust settles from the 2024 college season. We know there are seasons when the #1 overall pick isn't even a quarterback. Since 2000 this has happened on an average of every four years, so it is possible. It's also possible that one of these quarterbacks separates himself from the rest and is a clear cut #1.

So....

Would you give up three #1's and a #2 for Shedeur Sanders?

How about Carson Beck from Georgia or Quinn Ewers from Texas?
PM, as always a well thought out post.

My response will be two fold: 1. What I would do. 2. What the Jones boys will do.
If I was in charge and I believed it was time to rebuild, I would have done these things months ago at beginning of off-season:
  • Make 2024 a “clearing the decks” for the future season. Meaning take your lumps for a better draft position in 2025. Make this season an official rebuild.
  • I don’t believe Big Mac is good for a rebuild, so I would have fired him in Feb and hired a new young HC that has 4 years with full authority to completely rebuild this team.
  • Either sign Cedee Lamb or trade him. Waiting is stupid. Make a decision by Mar 1.
  • Try to sign Parsons NOW at a cheaper price than he’s going to cost in the future. He’s only going to get more and more expensive.
  • If finding a new franchise QB is the goal, I would not be wasting a season. I would go to Dak in Feb/Mar with his agent and see what kind of trade they would agree to. I don’t care what anyone says, if Dak knows he’s not in the plans of the Cowboys future, he WILL agree to be traded. Despite what many on this forum believe, Dak would be in demand for several teams. And being on the last year of his deal could be a plus because a new team could negotiate a future new deal on their terms. Acquiring him for several draft picks would be a must.
  • See what you could get for Zack Martin. Even at his late career stage you could probably find a team willing to give up a Day 2 pick for him.
  • Play a ton of young guys knowing you're rebuilding. Let either Cooper Rush or Trey Lance play QB this season knowing you aren’t really competing for a championship anyway.
  • Use the picks from trades to package moving up for a QB in next years draft.
The problem with the plan I have above is it’s too late to do all that now. If I was stuck with what the Jones boys have already done this off-season, I would not be able to do the above.

What the Jones boys will do:
  • Drag their feet, then sign Dak sometime in the next 3-12 months to a 3-4 year deal for market price- somewhere between $55-65 mil per season. It would have been cheaper to extend him earlier but that’s not the way these guys roll.
  • Complain they don’t have cap space. (Which is a complete lie because if they handled their contracts the way most good GMs do, they could defer cap space and have WAY more flexibility to do more. They choose not to do this then hornswaggle fans into buying into “we don’t have cap space”)
  • Repeat what they’ve been doing year after year, then blame the coaches and players for THEIR failures.
The Jones cartel basically wasted an entire off-season being coy about the future. Waiting and being indecisive in today’s NFL is losing. And I believe they will sign Dak, Cedee and Parsons eventually and pretend (as always) they are competing for a SB with this roster.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
PM, as always a well thought out post.

My response will be two fold: 1. What I would do. 2. What the Jones boys will do.
If I was in charge and I believed it was time to rebuild, I would have done these things months ago at beginning of off-season:
  • Make 2024 a “clearing the decks” for the future season. Meaning take your lumps for a better draft position in 2025. Make this season an official rebuild.
  • I don’t believe Big Mac is good for a rebuild, so I would have fired him in Feb and hired a new young HC that has 4 years with full authority to completely rebuild this team.
  • Either sign Cedee Lamb or trade him. Waiting is stupid. Make a decision by Mar 1.
  • Try to sign Parsons NOW at a cheaper price than he’s going to cost in the future. He’s only going to get more and more expensive.
  • If finding a new franchise QB is the goal, I would not be wasting a season. I would go to Dak in Feb/Mar with his agent and see what kind of trade they would agree to. I don’t care what anyone says, if Dak knows he’s not in the plans of the Cowboys future, he WILL agree to be traded. Despite what many on this forum believe, Dak would be in demand for several teams. And being on the last year of his deal could be a plus because a new team could negotiate a future new deal on their terms. Acquiring him for several draft picks would be a must.
  • See what you could get for Zack Martin. Even at his late career stage you could probably find a team willing to give up a Day 2 pick for him.
  • Play a ton of young guys knowing you're rebuilding. Let either Cooper Rush or Trey Lance play QB this season knowing you aren’t really competing for a championship anyway.
  • Use the picks from trades to package moving up for a QB in next years draft.
The problem with the plan I have above is it’s too late to do all that now. If I was stuck with what the Jones boys have already done this off-season, I would not be able to do the above.

What the Jones boys will do:
  • Drag their feet, then sign Dak sometime in the next 3-12 months to a 3-4 year deal for market price- somewhere between $55-65 mil per season. It would have been cheaper to extend him earlier but that’s not the way these guys roll.
  • Complain they don’t have cap space. (Which is a complete lie because if they handled their contracts the way most good GMs do, they could defer cap space and have WAY more flexibility to do more. They choose not to do this then hornswaggle fans into buying into “we don’t have cap space”)
  • Repeat what they’ve been doing year after year, then blame the coaches and players for THEIR failures.
The Jones cartel basically wasted an entire off-season being coy about the future. Waiting and being indecisive in today’s NFL is losing. And I believe they will sign Dak, Cedee and Parsons eventually and pretend (as always) they are competing for a SB with this roster.
Id be okay with keeping parsons....but if we do...id make the effort to get him some help, another real lineman that can stuff the run or at least hold up the interior....and super lber.
Take the pressure Off him and just let him play naturally?

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
No, I wouldn't make that trade - it is just too high of a draft "price" that would adversely impact the team for years.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If there was a clear cut franchise QB in the 25 draft you would need the worse record in the league to get him. No team is trading the 1st overall pick if there is a potential blue chip franchise QB there.
Agreed. And I haven’t seen a college QB that will be in the 2025 draft that even remotely interests me. Drafting a top college QB is a dice roll at best.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
Make the trade and select Vontae Mack no matter what. When Bo Callahan falls, you go get your draft picks back.

kskboys

Reaction score
There doesn't seem to be a clear choice for the best QB prospect in next year's draft. There is no Elway or Aikman, or Manning. There is no "generational savior". The pro football analysts draft gurus seem split between three college players.

I know who the favorite is among most fans here. Of course, this will clear up at the end of next season.

My question is, could three 1st round picks and a 2nd round pick secure next year's #1 pick overall? If it could, would you be willing to make that trade?

Would you be willing to trade the Cowboys #1 picks for 2025, 2026, and 2027 plus the 2nd pick in 2025 for the 1st pick overall in the 2025 draft?

For the most part, the Cowboys do pretty good in the 1st round, 2023 draft notwithstanding. In fact, they may do too good. They are presently considering close to the max contract for two of the most recent to stay with the team.

If the Cowboys make the trade and get a QB, the Cowboys could set their future as well as alleviate some cap issues. They could sign both Lamb and Parsons with no problem. As for the #1 overall pick, it's the highest rookie contract but still a rookie contract It is still far, far lower than the alternative Dak contract.

Dak would play out his contract this season, Trey would be traded at some advantageous point. Rush may or may not stay, depending. He may even start a few games in 2025 before the #1 pick becomes the official starter. Realistically, the Cowboys could take some lumps that season.

The Cowboys wouldn't have a 1st round picks for two years but wouldn't that cash help contract negotiations for guys like Daron Bland, Tyler Smith, and Jake Ferguson?

The obvious question would be whether there is a worthy prospect once the dust settles from the 2024 college season. We know there are seasons when the #1 overall pick isn't even a quarterback. Since 2000 this has happened on an average of every four years, so it is possible. It's also possible that one of these quarterbacks separates himself from the rest and is a clear cut #1.

So....

Since we suck so bad drafting in the 2nd, be tough to make this decision.

I'd consider it, depending on who is there. No to Sanders, don't believe in him. Maybe he'll convince me otherwise this next season.

shabazz

Reaction score
I would not. Id try to win a Super Bowl in 2025 or 2026. Dak, CD, Micah locked it. Other units will have been upgraded by then.
Wrong. Those 3 bloated contracts will make it IMPOSSIBLE to add any FA help to the roster.

It's an old cliche but apropos for your opinion; "Insanity is defined as doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

This core of team will be broken up after this season....book it

CowboyoWales

Reaction score

So....

Nope. I we don't extend Dak we build through the trenches first.

phildadon86

Reaction score

So....

This was the year to move up for a QB.

The class next year is terrible.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
If you want a top QB next year or a year from now the way to do it is not to give up your draft for the next 3-4 years, as there is a ton of building to do on the OL/WR/TE/RB. There are far too many question marks, let alone the elephant in the room question mark about trading your future to take a QB at 1 that we all know fails more than succeeds. This team does not sign free agents, and lives and dies by the draft...so, what you do is let Dak walk, and trade Micah/Lamb for picks if the ultimate goal is draft a top QB

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You guys may soon relearn the NFL reality that it doesn’t matter how many high paid super stars you have on your roster. If your QB isn’t above average, you will stink.
I honestly believe if this team had Pat Mahomes last year, it could not have won a SB. That roster last year, though good at several positions, was still sorely lacking on defense at DT and LB. Neither Joe Montana, Tom Brady, nor Pat Mahomes could rescue this team by themselves.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Yeah, I get it. You're right, drafting a QB with the #1 overall pick does not guarantee a Super Bowl.

But it sure does increase the odds:

Out of 58 Super Bowls, the winning quarterback was a 1st round pick 32 times or 52% of the time. They were the #1 overall pick 18 of those times. They were a top ten pick 27 times.

Eleven quarterbacks have won multiple Super Bowls. Six of them were drafted #1 overall

Of course, this is a step to be taken only if he is a consensus blue chip with the proper physical traits and college resume. It could be that none of them impress enough to make the trade.
In the same period of time how many quarterbacks selected in the first round, top ten in first round, first overall, have not won a Super Bowl?