Trading up for Burrows makes sense

leeblair

Reaction score
If the Cowboys could trade up for Joe Burrow instead of signing Dak it makes better sense.
Burrows would then be under a rookie contract for five years, with a new and capable head coach in Mike McCarthy, and Kellen Moore leading the offense. The Cowboys would save big money compared to giving a big contract to a still unproven Dak Prescott.
The offensive line is still strong, and Zeke is still powerful.
In the short term and the long, trading up for Burrows is a no-brainer.
And signing Case Keenum would give them solid depth for a championship run by 2021.
It makes good sense every way you look at it.

Last edited:

Creeper

Reaction score
Once you see what Cincinnati is asking for you won't think it makes sense anymore. And you are throwing 2020 away along with your 2021 and maybe 2022 1st round picks.

It would make more sense to let Dak sign with another team and play the season with Cooper Rush at QB. Then when the team finishes 1-15, they will have the first pick in next year's draft when they can take to top QB prospect coming out in 2021. And they would keep all their other draft picks.

johneric8

Reaction score
If the Cowboys could trade up for Joe Burrows instead of signing Dak it makes better sense.
Burrows would then be under a rookie contract for five years, with a new and capable head coach in Mike McCarthy, and Kellen Moore leading the offense. The Cowboys would save big money compared to giving a big contract to a still unproven Dak Prescott.
And signing Case Keenum would give them solid depth for a championship run by 2021.

Yea, lets trade a borderline elite QB that is a locker room stud whom never gets hurt for an unknown commodity. Prescott is not unproven genius, the coaching staff and outdated schemes have been horrendous. Open your eyes man, Prescott is a top talent getting better each year.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
It makes sense for Dallas but it doesn’t for the Bengals. There is no way we could move up that high and take him unless they are willing to take Dak.

I think the realistic option would be Tua or Herbert and I’d be ok with moving up for either one of those guys and signing a vet for 1 year.

If we’re going to switch QBs the best move IMO is to go with Brees if he is available or Brady and just go all in on these next 2 years like the Broncos, Eagles, and Rams did to get themselves to the Super Bowl.

Or.. We just play it safe.. Sign Dak... Then try to figure out how on earth we are going to put together the best roster in the NFL around him.

Flamma

Reaction score
Yes yes I agree. But like I said in another thread, the Cowboys simply do not have the draft capital or players that could get them from 17 to 1 in this particular draft.

If I were the Bengals owner I wouldn't even listen to offers from the Cowboys. If the Cowboys get Burrows what do the Bengals get in return? A 17th overall, and if Burrows pans out the Bengals would be getting all late round 1st picks.

The Bengals need a QB and they're sitting at #1 with Burrows in the draft. The Cowboys don't have what it takes to get that pick.

Flamma

Reaction score
It makes sense for Dallas but it doesn’t for the Bengals. There is no way we could move up that high and take him unless they are willing to take Dak.

I think the realistic option would be Tua or Herbert and I’d be ok with moving up for either one of those guys and signing a vet for 1 year.

If we’re going to switch QBs the best move IMO is to go with Brees if he is available or Brady and just go all in on these next 2 years like the Broncos, Eagles, and Rams did to get themselves to the Super Bowl.

Or.. We just play it safe.. Sign Dak... Then try to figure out how on earth we are going to put together the best roster in the NFL around him.

I would just transition tag Dak without intent to match unless it's a no brainer. Sign any UFA we want and draft either Love or Eason.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
If the Cowboys could trade up for Joe Burrows instead of signing Dak it makes better sense.
His last name is Burrow.

leeblair

Reaction score
Yea, lets trade a borderline elite QB that is a locker room stud whom never gets hurt for an unknown commodity. Prescott is not unproven genius, the coaching staff and outdated schemes have been horrendous. Open your eyes man, Prescott is a top talent getting better each year.
If anything, Dak has proven that he cannot beat good teams. His record on this is pretty clear. He plays great against weaker teams, but struggles when the pressure is on against playoff caliber teams.
So, I guess he is in fact a proven commodity.
We know what we don't have with Dak; we don't have a quarterback who will fight and claw to make the Cowboys a better team. He will go along for the ride vs teams under .500 and play great.
But he's proven that he is not the guy.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

I love these Dak hating threads. It offs just another opportunity for the Ignorant mouth breathers to identify themselves. God bless you on this holy day.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Once you see what Cincinnati is asking for you won't think it makes sense anymore. And you are throwing 2020 away along with your 2021 and maybe 2022 1st round picks.

It would make more sense to let Dak sign with another team and play the season with Cooper Rush at QB. Then when the team finishes 1-15, they will have the first pick in next year's draft when they can take to top QB prospect coming out in 2021. And they would keep all their other draft picks.

Trevor Lawrence would be the pick if he enters the draft as a Junior.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I would just transition tag Dak without intent to match unless it's a no brainer. Sign any UFA we want and draft either Love or Eason.

Eason is going to be interesting in the Pro’s to watch.

Everything is there except mobility. He’s got by far the best arm in this draft.

visionary

Reaction score
If the Cowboys could trade up for Joe Burrow instead of signing Dak it makes better sense.

too rich
Trade to 5 with Miami and take Tua who could be better than Burrow

leeblair

Reaction score

I wonder if the rights to Dak can be traded?
Where Cincinnati would then be in position to negotiate and sign or tag Dak?
That might make it even more affordable.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

How many more of your anti Dak threads do we need to endure?
Can you ever post about anything else going on with the team, in a positive manner?

JBS

Reaction score
If the Cowboys could somehow manage to recreate a figure that was as good as Roger Staubach it would make sense

Especially when you consider the amount of money Roger was making back then and you figure you could reinvest into the rest of the team and still have an elite qb..it just makes complete sense any way you look at it

Flamma

Reaction score
If anything, Dak has proven that he cannot beat good teams. His record on this is pretty clear. He plays great against weaker teams, but struggles when the pressure is on against playoff caliber teams.
So, I guess he is in fact a proven commodity.
We know what we don't have with Dak; we don't have a quarterback who will fight and claw to make the Cowboys a better team. He will go along for the ride vs teams under .500 and play great.
But he's proven that he is not the guy.

In his defense he did look really good in 2016 and swatted away all but one team. It wasn't just Elliott playing well. But over the last 3 years I'm starting to think that was an anomaly.