Travel/Vacation experiences plans hopes

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I’m a Russian Lit nut, if you still read, check out Dostoevsky’s The Brothers Karamazov. Not quit as nailbiting and internally agonizing as the great Crime and Punishment (an absolute top-10, all time, work of fiction), but still wrought with conflict and fear and doubt. Have you read Tolstoy or Checkov? Pasternak?

Russia is up there for me, just because the three greatest writers, not named Shakespeare, that ever lived are from there. Their culture and history and society is fascinating. Russia is boring post-1920 (post-Czar Russia, really), but no one goes to Russia to see where Stalin lived (unless you’re a college student or some such).

Nope, C&P is the only Dostoevsky I've read. (you're right, that is an absolute fantastic book! It's a very heavy read though and a lot of people can't get through it. But if you do, it's so worth it!) I used to read everyday on my train commute to and from Manhattan. Now I'm back to driving for my commute so I do not have near enough time to read. Since October, I've start listening to books using audible.com Though I find stories harder to listen too while I'm driving. I find lectures much easier and enjoyable while I drive. I think it has to do with if you miss part of a story, you can get a bit lost. Driving can distract you from listening. If you miss a bit of a lecture, that's alright.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
Nope, C&P is the only Dostoevsky I've read. (you're right, that is an absolute fantastic book! It's a very heavy read though and a lot of people can't get through it. But if you do, it's so worth it!) I used to read everyday on my train commute to and from Manhattan. Now I'm back to driving for my commute so I do not have near enough time to read. Since October, I've start listening to books using audible.com Though I find stories harder to listen too while I'm driving. I find lectures much easier and enjoyable while I drive. I think it has to do with if you miss part of a story, you can get a bit lost. Driving can distract you from listening. If you miss a bit of a lecture, that's alright.
I haven't used it in awhile but Audible.com is awesome.

kskboys

Reaction score
Wifey n I got to The Horseshoe at Bossier City a couple times a year. Great comps, great people, they really take care of you there. Highly recommend.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
Iv'e been hitting my bucket list and interests pretty heavily the last few years, not sure why exactly, but some life pieces came together and i'm running with it. Going Fla Ormond beach for a break from the cold Feb 7-13. Got my National Parks trip booked for Sept 5-18 2018 for Yellowstone/Teton/Bryce/Zion, God willing.
-------

Here's where i am looking for any extra info/opinions i can get.
So i been researching Rome resorts/suites/hotels recently. Iv'e had Rome in my thoughts for about 15 years or so.
I have started a possible October 2019 trip for Rome/Scotland/London.

Rome seems not have many 2 bedroom/balcony w/view of anything decent for a respectable price, Rome seems very tight. I have found a few places that fit the bill which will cost me about 3k US dollars for 7 nights. More than i was looking to pay.

While in Rome i am looking to visit The Forum, The Pantheon, The Vatican/Sistine Chaple, Julius Caesar/Augustus Caesar House, The Colosseum and a few fountains.
While in London i want to visit anything related to The Rolling Stones, CS.Lweis, JRR Tolkien, Thomas Moore.

Where i am uninformed still is Scotland. Edinburgh & Glasgow, i will be there three nights if all goes according to plan, and i have no idea what to go see.

I'll be researching it. Any info appreciated.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I was very fortunate to have spent more than 25 years of my working career living outside the US -- West Africa, the Former Soviet Union, UK and Australia. Whenever and wherever possible, we would take our annual vacations overseas, rather than simply returning to the US. My kids grew up in a number of different skills and learned those invaluable life-skills of navigating through passport control and customs in a foreign country :).

My list of favorite vacation spots: East Africa, Egypt, Russia (love St Petersburg -- my wife attended university there), central Europe (Czech Republic and Slovakia), Galapagos and Antarctica. I am an avid scuba diver and my all time favorite spot(s) to dive is Raja Ampat in Indonesia.

This is a good thread. I am picking up a lot of good pointers for places to see and visit in the states.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
So basically where you been, where you might be going, where you want to go.

I was in Fort Worth/Cowboy game, Sedona Arizona/Grand Canyon/Hoover Dam trip early Sept 2017.
Was in Carlsbad/SD/LA California in early December 2017.
These were my first real trips out west besides a Vegas trip i took the year before. So anyway i loved the land out west, makes the east look plain.

So my next planned trip is early Sept 2018 to Jackson Hole WY where i plan to visit Yellow Stone & The Grand Tetons. I will be driving to Cedar Breaks Utah as a base where i can then visit Zion and Bryce National Parks, followed by Vegas for a night and back home/NJ.

I never been to WY/ID and am preparing myself for people who are much more calm and relaxed than i am. I am also preparing myself to eat a lot of meat while i am there, i am guessing the seafood is probably not so good besides a few upscale restaurants.

Grand Canyon and Sedona were amazing and i am expecting Yellowstone/Tetons/Zion/Bryce to be equally amazing.

I'm doing my homework on these areas but any info on these places i plan to visit next would be great.

Enjoy your adventures & work that bucket list. :flagwave:
When I was a teenager, I went cross country two times, and down to Florida once, camping along the way. I highly recommend it. This country has so much to see, you could never do it on a schedule.
The three things that will always stay with me are Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, and Mt. Rushmore, but the Badlands, Painted Desert, various caverns, Rocky Mountains, assorted lakes and rivers, etc. are amazing.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I'm not really a cruise guy, but really enjoyed an Alaska cruise last summer.

Surf trips to Costa Rica are always fun.
Here's a little story:
While in CR for a 10 day trip one summer, we took a day excursion to an out of the way surf spot called Boca Barranca.
It's a point break but right on a river mouth.
To get a better start, we decided to paddle across the narrow river then walk all the way out the on the point before paddling into the lineup.
After we crossed, some locals were screaming in Spanish "logs with eyes, logs with eyes!"
We had just crossed a very alligator infested river...they were everywhere.
Got some photos too.
Talk about luck not to lose a limb.
lol

DFWJC

Reaction score
Work takes me to Switzerland, The Netherlands, and Australia at times. So I branch out from there.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Iv'e been hitting my bucket list and interests pretty heavily the last few years, not sure why exactly, but some life pieces came together and i'm running with it. Going Fla Ormond beach for a break from the cold Feb 7-13. Got my National Parks trip booked for Sept 5-18 2018 for Yellowstone/Teton/Bryce/Zion, God willing.
-------

Here's where i am looking for any extra info/opinions i can get.
So i been researching Rome resorts/suites/hotels recently. Iv'e had Rome in my thoughts for about 15 years or so.
I have started a possible October 2019 trip for Rome/Scotland/London.

Rome seems not have many 2 bedroom/balcony w/view of anything decent for a respectable price, Rome seems very tight. I have found a few places that fit the bill which will cost me about 3k US dollars for 7 nights. More than i was looking to pay.

While in Rome i am looking to visit The Forum, The Pantheon, The Vatican/Sistine Chaple, Julius Caesar/Augustus Caesar House, The Colosseum and a few fountains.
While in London i want to visit anything related to The Rolling Stones, CS.Lweis, JRR Tolkien, Thomas Moore.

Where i am uninformed still is Scotland. Edinburgh & Glasgow, i will be there three nights if all goes according to plan, and i have no idea what to go see.

I'll be researching it. Any info appreciated.
I lived in Aberdeen, Scotland for a few years and was able to travel to both Edinburgh and Glasgow. Here is a quick brain-dump of places to see and things to do:

Edinburgh
  • Edinburgh Castle (must do!)
  • Military Tatto (annual event in August only)
  • Walking tour of the Old Town Pubs (guided tour, about 2 hours)
  • Whisky tasting
  • Holyroodhouse tour
  • Royal history walking tour (guided tour, about 1.5 hours)
  • Hop-on, hop-off buses offer great overview of the city
Glasgow
  • Glasgow Cathedral
  • Walking tour of Buchanan Street
  • George Square
Just as an aside, you can reach Inverness by train from either Glasgow or Edinburgh in about 3+ hours. Who knows? You might see the Loch Ness monster.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'm not really a cruise guy, but really enjoyed an Alaska cruise last summer.

Surf trips to Costa Rica are always fun.
Here's a little story:
While in CR for a 10 day trip one summer, we took a day excursion to an out of the way surf spot called Boca Barranca.
It's a point break but right on a river mouth.
To get a better start, we decided to paddle across the narrow river then walk all the way out the on the point before paddling into the lineup.
After we crossed, some locals were screaming in Spanish "logs with eyes, logs with eyes!"
We had just crossed a very alligator infested river...they were everywhere.
Got some photos too.
Talk about luck not to lose a limb.
lol

I hate cruises too but the wife talked me into an Alaskan cruise about 5 years ago......well worth it. What sucked was I never got off the boat in Alaska, so have still yet to set foot in that state :laugh:

Long night of drinking and gambling........

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
I lived in Aberdeen, Scotland for a few years and was able to travel to both Edinburgh and Glasgow. Here is a quick brain-dump of places to see and things to do:

Edinburgh
  • Edinburgh Castle (must do!)
  • Military Tatto (annual event in August only)
  • Walking tour of the Old Town Pubs (guided tour, about 2 hours)
  • Whisky tasting
  • Holyroodhouse tour
  • Royal history walking tour (guided tour, about 1.5 hours)
Glasgow
  • Glasgow Cathedral
  • Walking tour of Buchanan Street
  • George Square
Just as an aside, you can reach Inverness by train from either Glasgow or Edinburgh in about 3+ hours. Who knows? You might see the Loch Ness monster.
Thank You. Were planning on staying very very close to Edinburgh Castle. My brother wants to go into the highlands for a day, I'm hoping that's doable in a day's time. I think we might need 4 nights total in Scotland instead of only 3 nights. That extra night might be crucial i'm thinking.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
When I was a teenager, I went cross country two times, and down to Florida once, camping along the way. I highly recommend it. This country has so much to see, you could never do it on a schedule.
The three things that will always stay with me are Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, and Mt. Rushmore, but the Badlands, Painted Desert, various caverns, Rocky Mountains, assorted lakes and rivers, etc. are amazing.
Grand Canyon is amazing/overwhelming. Booked Yellowstone/Tetons/Bryce/Zion for this September. I don't think i will ever drive to FLA again, but yea there is a lot to see on the drive.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Thank You. Were planning on staying very very close to Edinburgh Castle. My brother wants to go into the highlands for a day, I'm hoping that's doable in a day's time. I think we might need 4 nights total in Scotland instead of only 3 nights. That extra night might be crucial i'm thinking.
If you can arrange the time, it is well worth the time and effort to visit the Highlands.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I hate cruises too but the wife talked me into an Alaskan cruise about 5 years ago......well worth it. What sucked was I never got off the boat in Alaska, so have still yet to set foot in that state :laugh:

Long night of drinking and gambling........
I got off at three different places in Alaska. Good weather too, so those excursions worked out great.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
Heading to the Bay Area this summer. Loved SoCal, I expect a nice visit to NoCal.
I also recently did SoCal, i had NoCal ready to go for this coming Sept and at the last minute before i was ready to start reserving stuff we decided to do Jackson Hole and Utah instead. I'm hoping to do Europe Sept or Oct 2019, but i will have to get back around to that NoCal trip. I actually have two trips i still need to do on the West Coast. One is LAX to Sierra Nevada National Parks to San Fran/Nappa and back home. The other is land in Seattle drive right to the Redwoods stay 3 or 4 nights than visit Crater Lake 2 nights, drive/stop Mulholland Falls for a few hours and than few nights in Seattle/Mt Rainer/Mt Olympus and visit Vancover for the day.

So many places so little money and time. :popcorn:

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
Weather will be nice soon for some of us :grin:. Don't snooze, go visit somewhere new and have fun this spring/summer. If you don't go soon you might never go. Enjoy it and don't forget to share some details when you get back!

For me Sept 2018 - Yellowstone/Teetons/Jackson hole/Brian Head Utah/Mt Zion/Bryce Canyon, 14 nights total booked.

I usually do one really good trip or 2 or 3 minor ones per year, i found that one really good one per year works better for me now.

Next few trips i'm hoping for.
Rome/Edinburgh/Inverness/London - Family 2019.
Israel with group/tour guide - Family/friends are saying 2020.
Seattle few nights followed by 7 night cruise to Alaska 2021.
San Fran driving to and stopping at Nappa,Tahoe,Redwoods,Crater Lake,Multnomah Falls,Seattle,Vancouver.

Strong possibility of these getting flipped around for one reason or another, but those are my planned locations if things go ok.

Go somewhere and have fun! :flagwave: