Trenches: Some proof on why we lose in the playoffs

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe good defenses play us differently.
Maybe if they have 4 good cover guys, they can play the other 7 up a little tight and stuff the run, bringing pressure on passing downs.
Maybe they play their corners 12 yds off the ball challenging your QB to take the easy 7-8 yd out, but he CANNOT make the throw. instead he waits until something opens in the middle, but it's too crowded in there, so he pats the.ball and takes the 2 yd dump off to the RB. It looks good in the stats, but it's now 4th down.

Again for the 500th time: A QB CANNOT SINGLE HANDEDLY WIN A FOOTBALL GAME. However a QB can fail to produce in a half dozen critical plays THAT CAN COST YOU A GAME. like the 2022 SF playoff.
who knows where we could have ended up if Dak had been consistent and capable..
Sorry, I don't want Dak, Romo, or even White. I want a QB who can make plays and cover some warts if needed and ALWAYS steps up when the lights come on.

We've only had 2, its time for another.

Don't get me started on why we still have the HC whos team took the field against GB, whose teams are never prepared for tough games.

Games are won or lost in the trenches, but close games involve other factors.

blueblood70

Reaction score
What is amazing to me is Tony Pollard averaged just 59 rushing yards in the Cowboys' 12 victories last year. In fact his only 100 yard game was the loss to Arizona.

Just a reminder of how much the game has changed. But in the playoffs, the margin grows smaller and you need more balance to be successful. The Cowboys have probably asked Dak to do too much. Even as a fan of his, I know he is not the type of QB that can carry an entire offense against elite defenses.

This is not to say he can't ever do it. But the Cowboys need to recognize what he can and cannot do and build a team around him that allows him to excel. It seems this year they are asking both Dak and Mike McCarthy to do more with less compared to past seasons.
Yeah I agree with that and you might be right the running back by committee thing might be risky given the fact that it would be nice to have another de Marco Murray or Ezekiel Elliott and their formidable younger years even though that didn't work out either though... Don't act like we didn't have like one of the top offensive lines and run games in both those seasons they have given this team and our quarterback some talent but that talent doesn't show up in the playoffs that's the problem our offense played well in 2016 as I pointed out I mean go look at it our young studs who look good in the regular season look good in the playoffs the defense failed in 2014 and 2016 against Aaron Rodgers it's plain and simple...

Let's hope because the run game can be manufactured with running back by committee as the Kansas City Chiefs have done lots of teams have done it's easier to do than say 2018 where that whole wide receiver by committee debacle fell apart and luckily we went out and got amari Cooper maybe we go find a running back if it doesn't look good during preseason training camp..

But just blanketly saying that the FO not putting talent around them ,it's not true it's just either the talent gets hurt or old or it just doesn't play well against the better teams so maybe we're a bit overrated in the regular season and our expectations are higher and then we fail when we get up against the team that was ready for us that goes for the coaching staff as well...

I mean to their credit they didn't know that Travis Frederick was gonna get a illness and have to cut short what would probably be a Hall of Fame career and then they have to scramble looking for other centers what's the now they're gonna have to do with Terrence Smith but I think they're doing a good job of trying to rebuild that offensive line for the third time since 2013... Just not like there purposely doing this but if you look at Kansas City and I know they got Patrick mahomes and Andy Reed so they can get away with it they do the same thing it's a matter of fact most of the league does what the Cowboys do they're very few teams that do the all in and do a bunch of crazy moves that would be the Rams and the Eagles occasionally it looks like the 49ers have done it but really the change to the one winning the Super bowl go look at the New England Patriots the way they built their teams they were not winning free agency they were also having problems in the draft but they did enough they built teams that could win without winning any all in fashion that a lot of us talk about here that they want the Cowboys front office to do and I don't think most teams do that..

They took away a lot of weapons from Patrick mahomes and ain't going with a seventh round running back which isn't any different than us using an undrafted guy or using a running back by committee like we're going to attempt I mean they didn't even have any superstars at wide receiver the last couple of seasons in my opinion it's still we're beating the teams with the all in philosophy they literally left the Eagles and the 49ers hanging dry and they were the ones who were more conservative like we were...

But again I agree with you at times like this offseason knowing they needed a running back why they didn't do it when they normally do do it I mean it's one thing Jerry does do they make sure they stock the offensive lineman and always seem to have a star running back this year is different I think they relied on Tony Pollard or maybe it's the dead cap money from both of them that made them a little hesitant this year and this may be a 2015 year all over again which wasn't terrible if the quarterback didn't get hurt but they brought in some guy like McFadden who is a lot like Ezekiel Elliott right now and they used this some guys to fill in they still could have done something had romo not went down that year as well.. I mean we know this because in 2016 they went ahead and built the team over again starting with the Elliott.

Last edited:

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Maybe you should go compare the trenches of the Cowboys vs the Chiefs and then you will figure it out.

KC gave up 16.5 points a game last year on defense. Not once did they give up 30 points. All of their losses last year came when their defense gave up more than 21 points. So the great Mahomes could not over come 24 points?
The Great Mahomes won a SB... again.

Some of you really need to read your posts a couple of times before you conclude that you did a "gotcha'. It'll keep you from owning yourself.

gtb1943

Reaction score
A soft culture will never win it all and that is what we have here

when the rubber meets the road; when it all comes down to a few plays, the boys always find a way to lose.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Because of what QBs are paid these days, they are expected to overcome a flawed roster around them, and almost every one of them cannot.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
You speak of trenches to cover for Prescott. None of all that matters.

Going into year nine, Prescott and Dallas will be judged in January. The regular season will not matter. The wins and losses will not matter. Any MVP caliber stats will not matter.

It will be about if Prescott and Dallas choke when it counts, period.

If Prescott chokes, that's the label he will carry for his career. Just like Dallas has carried it for the last 28 year.

No more excuses.
I see facts really offend you. That’s good.

fivetwos

Reaction score
How many games did Emmitt miss during his and Aikman's primes? 4? Kinda hard to gauge that hypothetical.
Emmitt missed basically four entire games in 93 alone and they lost all four. There was probably another 2-3 in other years and they lost those also. I may have missed something but I did the research about a year ago. Aikman never won a game that Smith didn’t play in.

Doesn’t really prove any point. There are many things that need to go right to win. Those two needed each other. They both needed that great OL. All three needed Charles Haley and the rest of the defense.

The greatest of QBs need a lot of help. KC this past season is a perfect example. No one is better than Mahomes, but he doesn’t win if that defense isn’t peaking in January.

Again, it goes back to people thinking QBs should carry the team themselves because of the money they make.

I really hope they come up with something to try to redirect some of that to other players and the players union can understand the point behind it.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Joe Flacco won a Super Bowl with his defense giving up 35 points in the Divisional round and 31 points in the Super Bowl.

Patrick Mahomes won with his defense giving up 36 points and the lead with 13 seconds left in the Divisional round.

Tom Brady came back from 28-3 in the Super Bowl.

Andrew Luck led the Colts back from a 28 point deficit in a Wild Card game.

Trevor Lawrence (that guy that just got paid that y'all think Dak is better than) just last year came back from being down 27-0.

I mean, that's just a few examples of QBs picking up the slack and putting the team on their backs when everything isn't going perfect. It must be nice to have a QB not bound to the "You're only allowed to play well if everyone else plays well" curse that Dak is bound with.
So the Ravens didn’t get any help from Bernard Pierce or Ray Rice that SB push? No help from the defense?

And how on earth did Tom Brady come back down 28-3 with no help from the defense?

How did Luck do it? The math isn’t mathing….

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
It is a known fact that the laws of the universe require that Dak can only play well if everyone else also plays well first.

If our defense is off that day then, by those universal laws, Dak must also be off.

It sucks that we are bound to these laws.
So you are disappointed that a non elite QB needs team support to win in playoffs,

So Dak is non elite and you are disappointed why he is not elite?

Your only response is I want an elite QB to carry the team. Is that it?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Because of what QBs are paid these days, they are expected to overcome a flawed roster around them, and almost every one of them cannot.
There are 17 QBs that make 30M or more. There are 2 Elite QBs .

And there is no way all 17 will win a championship

It's the market. It is what it is

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Basically he wants Mahomes and wants to look for Mahomes until he finds him.
He has limited football knowledge and is more TMZ than anything else.

Purdy, hurts, made it to superbowl . Both have shown they need strong supporting cast. However, when they had that they made it to the big dance.

Of course they both lost to perhaps one of the best ever QBs in NFL history

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I don't disagree with the OP, but this is also why I'm rooting for moving on from one of the big 3. Flip one for draft picks, free up $30-60M per year and use that money plus addition picks to fix the holes on this roster that show up in the post season.
Who would we sign? One of the three?

We had 15M and 20M on the cap the past two years. Could have signed an impact player but chose not to.

You will over pay in FA and can't build a team through FA. Outside of top 3, 4 impact players the rest are older, injured, flawed.