Trenches: Some proof on why we lose in the playoffs

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
yes i agree, they have over the last 2 seasons looked to fix the trenches, hope they keep going like they did with the safety group who are now deep and a strength...
That is what Q left us with.
We have a good back seven.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
You speak of trenches to cover for Prescott. None of all that matters.

Going into year nine, Prescott and Dallas will be judged in January. The regular season will not matter. The wins and losses will not matter. Any MVP caliber stats will not matter.

It will be about if Prescott and Dallas choke when it counts, period.

If Prescott chokes, that's the label he will carry for his career. Just like Dallas has carried it for the last 28 year.

No more excuses.
If Dallas has any chance of success it needs to start in the trenches, no chance this team does well if our trenches fail.

12+88=7

Reaction score
Not that I disagree but literally NOTHING you said was a rebuttal towards his argument about the trenches, NOTHING.
Because it's not a thread about the trenches, but a thinly veiled "woe is me" Prescott thread. Read between the lines

Brax

Reaction score
We are losing in the trenches, just a thought I’d share…starts on Offense, because Dak/Tony gets blamed a lot,​

Zeke and our run game in the playoffs,

• 2016 -22-125 5.7, lost over no defense against rogers not on dak.
  • 2018 -Seattle game 26-137 won the game. The next week 2018 rams game 47 yards, averaging 2.4 yards per carry yup LOSS but really was on the defense but dak alone once again.
  • 2021-31 yards on 12 carries 2.6 yup a loss.
  • 2022 -23 carries 53 yards 2.4 YPC, that’s 2 games, ouch. I mean at least we did beat Tampa Bay on Prescott’s arm with no run game…
  • 2023-TP wow HOF 15-56 at 3.7 he was cooking but down big they were hollow stats folks.

And trust me it was just as bad for the quarterback with the offensive line not opening holes, no run game, and this is what you want where is Tony Dorsett and Emmitt Smith and the offensive lines from those championship teams??​

I mean for a defense I'd have to go by memory, but I just know the defense gave up

2016- the last play of the game with less than two minutes and 2016 is why we lost to Aaron Rodgers and the Green Bay Packers while the offense played great.

2018- the Rams game in 2018 there was no run game as I said above but there also was no defense 278 yards on the ground.

2021- this one's tougher to remember but if memory serves me right first half of that game the defense gave up nearly 10 yards per carry to deebo Samuels they owned the time of possession and then on offense they had to deal with once again no run game and you had to add on the fact that the offensive line had 11 penalties yeah quarterback is supposed to play well in that game short should have won that game by himself put him on his back and won the game.

2022- in my opinion this was one of the ones that's tough to blame the defense they played pretty well but at times they gave up yards on the ground but they did not make the key plays the championship defense should yeah Trayvon diggs didn't break up that play against kittles he did not intercept that ball would have been some game changing plays in a close game.. But we do know it was very easy for their defense to stop our run game and once again make our offense one-dimensional and it's very difficult to play quarterback in this kind of environment. IMHO

2023- this is the absolute **** show total annihilation from beginning to end by the team, 100% all on the team. please do not blame the flow of the game which started out down 7 nothing because the defense sucked but it was more people keep citing those two interceptions by Prescott is somehow setting the tone forgetting that the defense didn't stop the Green Bay Packers at all the whole entire game. Let's be clear that first interception Brandon cooks was interfered with not once but twice there was nowhere to throw the ball so Prescott said hey go make a play there was no call by the referees but the reason that ball got picked off is because our receiver got yanked once and then solder pulled back while they were going to the ground so he can sneak up in there and just grab that ball. 2nd interception it was clear that Prescott was trying to make a play he threw the ball where the play was supposed to go and CD lamb broke off his route and started up field they were he was trying for a off script play and it didn't turn out well.

So yes, while Prescott did play great play bad at times deserves some criticism there's obvious proof here, in the trenches, this Cowboys team is set up for failure against the better teams in the league.. they do not bring what it takes as a team to win.

Where is the defense, run game, and coaching?? This happened to Tony Romo as well, so let’s stay on facts and not flawed memory's. LOL​

let me finish on this,

because we all want the championships, and we keep citing how great Troy and Roger were as championship quarterbacks and deserve the Hall of Fame flowers that they get...

come on people, give me a break they never had to carry a team in that mess I described above, they did not have to feel like they had to come into a game and play perfectly or take all the heat for a loss.

They had Tony Dorsett, Emmitt Smith, Jimmy Johnson, Landry and some of the best play in the trenches you can get out of a team and that is why they won championships, had nothing to do with just having a great quarterback.
Delusional, just face it Dak is terrible come the good teams, Tampa Bay, 8-9 team who stunk the second half of the season, a Dak feast type team. Excuse and Blame all you want but Dak 8 seasons in is the focal points of dumb throws, dumb runs pick 6 and failure to show up for the first 3 quarters in games. Dak is the key reason for the failures of playoff teams.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Naw, .......we don't pay big money for that.
Also, is a little ball control and keeping the opposing offense off the field too much to ask for?
They couldn’t run the ball because they were getting dominated up the middle physically and mentally.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Just because GMs are dumb enough to pay that much does not mean the players deserve it.
has nothing to do with deserve. its market value. MARKET. is a crappy car that I used to by for 1500 new 30 years ago, now priced at 24000 worth it? its the market. don't like it? don't buy it.

and you are telling me there are 12 Dumb owners who are willing to pay 40M+ to QBs...They OWN the NFL teams.

its an entertainment business. that's all it is. and they are smart enough to have put in a cap. who cares who gets the money. its a maximum they spend.

so are they dumb?

sbark

Reaction score
The teams that ran it down our throats generally went off tackle, away from D.Law.
Buff, G.Bay, etc

Then they had to widen LB'rs to keep them from getting trapped inside.

Wonder if they see Kneeland & D.Law being able to hold both edges alot better
Which then can keep Lbrs at least behind DE and can get to inside runs effectivly.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Who would we sign? One of the three?

We had 15M and 20M on the cap the past two years. Could have signed an impact player but chose not to.

You will over pay in FA and can't build a team through FA. Outside of top 3, 4 impact players the rest are older, injured, flawed.
You overpay in FA, but you'll overpay for your own FAs too most of the time. It's very rare to see guys actually take discounts to stick with a team these days. I just think the Jones plan for building this team is flawed and we are seeing that with good top end talent, but massive holes on the roster that get exposed in the playoffs year after year.

This team has had money available but refused to spend in free agency because they need the rollover money to afford the following years cap hits. Right now this team is basically retaining its starts, keeping mid tier players for 4 years then letting them walk, and hoping to hit on monster draft classes. Good news is they have the top end talent to field a really strong team. The other good news is that they draft relatively well compared to the rest of the league. The bad news is we continue to see that you can't draft well enough to consistently sit out free agency. The other bad news is that right now doesnt make sense to move on from any of these guys as the draft has passed and free agency is mostly over.

The mismanagement of the cap is destroying what has really been a solid job by the front office for a long time now in most areas.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
We are losing in the trenches, just a thought I’d share…starts on Offense, because Dak/Tony gets blamed a lot,​

Zeke and our run game in the playoffs,

• 2016 -22-125 5.7, lost over no defense against rogers not on dak.
  • 2018 -Seattle game 26-137 won the game. The next week 2018 rams game 47 yards, averaging 2.4 yards per carry yup LOSS but really was on the defense but dak alone once again.
  • 2021-31 yards on 12 carries 2.6 yup a loss.
  • 2022 -23 carries 53 yards 2.4 YPC, that’s 2 games, ouch. I mean at least we did beat Tampa Bay on Prescott’s arm with no run game…
  • 2023-TP wow HOF 15-56 at 3.7 he was cooking but down big they were hollow stats folks.

And trust me it was just as bad for the quarterback with the offensive line not opening holes, no run game, and this is what you want where is Tony Dorsett and Emmitt Smith and the offensive lines from those championship teams??​

I mean for a defense I'd have to go by memory, but I just know the defense gave up

2016- the last play of the game with less than two minutes and 2016 is why we lost to Aaron Rodgers and the Green Bay Packers while the offense played great.

2018- the Rams game in 2018 there was no run game as I said above but there also was no defense 278 yards on the ground.

2021- this one's tougher to remember but if memory serves me right first half of that game the defense gave up nearly 10 yards per carry to deebo Samuels they owned the time of possession and then on offense they had to deal with once again no run game and you had to add on the fact that the offensive line had 11 penalties yeah quarterback is supposed to play well in that game short should have won that game by himself put him on his back and won the game.

2022- in my opinion this was one of the ones that's tough to blame the defense they played pretty well but at times they gave up yards on the ground but they did not make the key plays the championship defense should yeah Trayvon diggs didn't break up that play against kittles he did not intercept that ball would have been some game changing plays in a close game.. But we do know it was very easy for their defense to stop our run game and once again make our offense one-dimensional and it's very difficult to play quarterback in this kind of environment. IMHO

2023- this is the absolute **** show total annihilation from beginning to end by the team, 100% all on the team. please do not blame the flow of the game which started out down 7 nothing because the defense sucked but it was more people keep citing those two interceptions by Prescott is somehow setting the tone forgetting that the defense didn't stop the Green Bay Packers at all the whole entire game. Let's be clear that first interception Brandon cooks was interfered with not once but twice there was nowhere to throw the ball so Prescott said hey go make a play there was no call by the referees but the reason that ball got picked off is because our receiver got yanked once and then solder pulled back while they were going to the ground so he can sneak up in there and just grab that ball. 2nd interception it was clear that Prescott was trying to make a play he threw the ball where the play was supposed to go and CD lamb broke off his route and started up field they were he was trying for a off script play and it didn't turn out well.

So yes, while Prescott did play great play bad at times deserves some criticism there's obvious proof here, in the trenches, this Cowboys team is set up for failure against the better teams in the league.. they do not bring what it takes as a team to win.

Where is the defense, run game, and coaching?? This happened to Tony Romo as well, so let’s stay on facts and not flawed memory's. LOL​

let me finish on this,

because we all want the championships, and we keep citing how great Troy and Roger were as championship quarterbacks and deserve the Hall of Fame flowers that they get...

come on people, give me a break they never had to carry a team in that mess I described above, they did not have to feel like they had to come into a game and play perfectly or take all the heat for a loss.

They had Tony Dorsett, Emmitt Smith, Jimmy Johnson, Landry and some of the best play in the trenches you can get out of a team and that is why they won championships, had nothing to do with just having a great quarterback.
It was never more evident than in today’s UFL Championship game. Birmingham ran the ball and stopped the run winning 26-0. San Antonio had 0 run game.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
The teams that ran it down our throats generally went off tackle, away from D.Law.
Buff, G.Bay, etc

Then they had to widen LB'rs to keep them from getting trapped inside.

Wonder if they see Kneeland & D.Law being able to hold both edges alot better
Which then can keep Lbrs at least behind DE and can get to inside runs effectivly.
Good observation and I don't think this gets nearly the attention it should. I'm not saying the Cowboys are great up the middle against the run, but the major issues with stopping the run came from the edge players. If Kneeland can force his way onto the field for run downs it would be a massive help for this front seven. Getting him and DLaw on the field together allows you to get Micah some snaps at LB which is where he is better equipped to play the run.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
I have not agreed much with you, nor have you been eloquent of an adult about disagreeing with my posts, but I am a big boy and can deal with it. That being said, you have summed up the problem with this franchise. In order for a team to be all around successful it must: Have a good OL to open holes for a running game. The QB needs a running game to be an effective passer...2)The QB will perform better when they have the lead which is predicated upon a solid D..3) A good QB will have an Andy Reid as their HC, and only 1 QB in the league has him. Patty is not Patty with MM. All these points can work both ways, but nothing changes the fact our QB cannot perform in the postseason, and one cannot just blame the deficiencies I have listed...he must step up when the planets don't align perfectly

GINeric

Reaction score
The intelligent people will understand what you posted, but the dumb, small brain, mouth breathers with extremely low football IQs will still blame the function of 53 players and 3 units on one player. Only dumb people think that one player affects the functionality of a TEAM.

I'll tell you how important the trenches are.... The Washington Commanders won 3 different Superbowls with 3 different quarterbacks.

Only one of those quarterbacks are in the HOF.

That's how important the trenches are.

GINeric

Reaction score
It sucks that he is never the ignition spark to turn around a game going south.

Name me the quarterbacks who are winning Super Bowls with a line like ours who played it's starters together for the first time in 3 years or worse than our offensive line.

Since good or great quarterbacks can win big without the help of his offensive line and other teammates.... please give us a list of quarterbacks who are winning big without these necessary components.