Trenches: Some proof on why we lose in the playoffs

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Joe Flacco won a Super Bowl with his defense giving up 35 points in the Divisional round and 31 points in the Super Bowl.

Patrick Mahomes won with his defense giving up 36 points and the lead with 13 seconds left in the Divisional round.

Tom Brady came back from 28-3 in the Super Bowl.

Andrew Luck led the Colts back from a 28 point deficit in a Wild Card game.

Trevor Lawrence (that guy that just got paid that y'all think Dak is better than) just last year came back from being down 27-0.

I mean, that's just a few examples of QBs picking up the slack and putting the team on their backs when everything isn't going perfect. It must be nice to have a QB not bound to the "You're only allowed to play well if everyone else plays well" curse that Dak is bound with.
So you are complaining why Dak is not able to play like the Goat and a generational talent like mahomes and why he doesn't have same talent as two #1 over all picks,
Wow.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
So the Ravens didn’t get any help from Bernard Pierce or Ray Rice that SB push? No help from the defense?

And how on earth did Tom Brady come back down 28-3 with no help from the defense?

How did Luck do it? The math isn’t mathing….
I have a feeling there isn't much math that does math for you.

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
We are losing in the trenches, just a thought I’d share…starts on Offense, because Dak/Tony gets blamed a lot,​

Zeke and our run game in the playoffs,

• 2016 -22-125 5.7, lost over no defense against rogers not on dak.
  • 2018 -Seattle game 26-137 won the game. The next week 2018 rams game 47 yards, averaging 2.4 yards per carry yup LOSS but really was on the defense but dak alone once again.
  • 2021-31 yards on 12 carries 2.6 yup a loss.
  • 2022 -23 carries 53 yards 2.4 YPC, that’s 2 games, ouch. I mean at least we did beat Tampa Bay on Prescott’s arm with no run game…
  • 2023-TP wow HOF 15-56 at 3.7 he was cooking but down big they were hollow stats folks.

And trust me it was just as bad for the quarterback with the offensive line not opening holes, no run game, and this is what you want where is Tony Dorsett and Emmitt Smith and the offensive lines from those championship teams??​

I mean for a defense I'd have to go by memory, but I just know the defense gave up

2016- the last play of the game with less than two minutes and 2016 is why we lost to Aaron Rodgers and the Green Bay Packers while the offense played great.

2018- the Rams game in 2018 there was no run game as I said above but there also was no defense 278 yards on the ground.

2021- this one's tougher to remember but if memory serves me right first half of that game the defense gave up nearly 10 yards per carry to deebo Samuels they owned the time of possession and then on offense they had to deal with once again no run game and you had to add on the fact that the offensive line had 11 penalties yeah quarterback is supposed to play well in that game short should have won that game by himself put him on his back and won the game.

2022- in my opinion this was one of the ones that's tough to blame the defense they played pretty well but at times they gave up yards on the ground but they did not make the key plays the championship defense should yeah Trayvon diggs didn't break up that play against kittles he did not intercept that ball would have been some game changing plays in a close game.. But we do know it was very easy for their defense to stop our run game and once again make our offense one-dimensional and it's very difficult to play quarterback in this kind of environment. IMHO

2023- this is the absolute **** show total annihilation from beginning to end by the team, 100% all on the team. please do not blame the flow of the game which started out down 7 nothing because the defense sucked but it was more people keep citing those two interceptions by Prescott is somehow setting the tone forgetting that the defense didn't stop the Green Bay Packers at all the whole entire game. Let's be clear that first interception Brandon cooks was interfered with not once but twice there was nowhere to throw the ball so Prescott said hey go make a play there was no call by the referees but the reason that ball got picked off is because our receiver got yanked once and then solder pulled back while they were going to the ground so he can sneak up in there and just grab that ball. 2nd interception it was clear that Prescott was trying to make a play he threw the ball where the play was supposed to go and CD lamb broke off his route and started up field they were he was trying for a off script play and it didn't turn out well.

So yes, while Prescott did play great play bad at times deserves some criticism there's obvious proof here, in the trenches, this Cowboys team is set up for failure against the better teams in the league.. they do not bring what it takes as a team to win.

Where is the defense, run game, and coaching?? This happened to Tony Romo as well, so let’s stay on facts and not flawed memory's. LOL​

let me finish on this,

because we all want the championships, and we keep citing how great Troy and Roger were as championship quarterbacks and deserve the Hall of Fame flowers that they get...

come on people, give me a break they never had to carry a team in that mess I described above, they did not have to feel like they had to come into a game and play perfectly or take all the heat for a loss.

They had Tony Dorsett, Emmitt Smith, Jimmy Johnson, Landry and some of the best play in the trenches you can get out of a team and that is why they won championships, had nothing to do with just having a great quarterback.
Nice write up.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
The thing is, the market dictates what Dak gets paid. Along with agents and the player's association.

Teams in need of a franchise QB pay them no matter what the postseason results are. I don't think Jared Goff, Trevor Lawrence, or even Justin Herbert deserve the money they got. Look at the money Kirk Cousins has collected over his career for simply being "good".

We want more in the playoffs from Dak, of course. But the thing is, no matter if the Cowboys or another team pay him top dollar, it won't be long until the next QB gets even more.

This is the natural cycle. The cap goes up every year and the contracts go up with them. This is why the Cowboys are being criticized for being stupid with Dak twice. They wait and wait and wait and the price only goes up. They could have gotten him a lot cheaper in 2021. And they could have signed him to an extension months ago and then watched other teams pay even more for Goff and Lawrence.

HotDog37

Reaction score
Excellent post OP. I am in the middle with Dak he is a good QB that has needed help from the defensive side and the running game pretty much post 2016, I do not wallow in negativity I try to look on the bright side of things. Last year if I am JJ I sign Henry to 2 year deal and allow him to run over people to take some pressure off of Prescott. I get down on the sidelines get Micah Parsons off the bench and stop with the 'poor me' pouting bit. The elephant in the room is IMO the Jones family basically not really having the desire to formulate, build, nurture a proper defense, trenches, and an effective running game. I believe it's 90% done on purpose just to prove the point of.

1. Jerry is fully in charge of all things Dallas Cowboys.
2. The Dallas Cowboys will never advance in the playoffs unless Jerry Jones wants them to.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
We are losing in the trenches, just a thought I’d share…starts on Offense, because Dak/Tony gets blamed a lot,​

Zeke and our run game in the playoffs,

• 2016 -22-125 5.7, lost over no defense against rogers not on dak.
  • 2018 -Seattle game 26-137 won the game. The next week 2018 rams game 47 yards, averaging 2.4 yards per carry yup LOSS but really was on the defense but dak alone once again.
  • 2021-31 yards on 12 carries 2.6 yup a loss.
  • 2022 -23 carries 53 yards 2.4 YPC, that’s 2 games, ouch. I mean at least we did beat Tampa Bay on Prescott’s arm with no run game…
  • 2023-TP wow HOF 15-56 at 3.7 he was cooking but down big they were hollow stats folks.

And trust me it was just as bad for the quarterback with the offensive line not opening holes, no run game, and this is what you want where is Tony Dorsett and Emmitt Smith and the offensive lines from those championship teams??​

I mean for a defense I'd have to go by memory, but I just know the defense gave up

2016- the last play of the game with less than two minutes and 2016 is why we lost to Aaron Rodgers and the Green Bay Packers while the offense played great.

2018- the Rams game in 2018 there was no run game as I said above but there also was no defense 278 yards on the ground.

2021- this one's tougher to remember but if memory serves me right first half of that game the defense gave up nearly 10 yards per carry to deebo Samuels they owned the time of possession and then on offense they had to deal with once again no run game and you had to add on the fact that the offensive line had 11 penalties yeah quarterback is supposed to play well in that game short should have won that game by himself put him on his back and won the game.

2022- in my opinion this was one of the ones that's tough to blame the defense they played pretty well but at times they gave up yards on the ground but they did not make the key plays the championship defense should yeah Trayvon diggs didn't break up that play against kittles he did not intercept that ball would have been some game changing plays in a close game.. But we do know it was very easy for their defense to stop our run game and once again make our offense one-dimensional and it's very difficult to play quarterback in this kind of environment. IMHO

2023- this is the absolute **** show total annihilation from beginning to end by the team, 100% all on the team. please do not blame the flow of the game which started out down 7 nothing because the defense sucked but it was more people keep citing those two interceptions by Prescott is somehow setting the tone forgetting that the defense didn't stop the Green Bay Packers at all the whole entire game. Let's be clear that first interception Brandon cooks was interfered with not once but twice there was nowhere to throw the ball so Prescott said hey go make a play there was no call by the referees but the reason that ball got picked off is because our receiver got yanked once and then solder pulled back while they were going to the ground so he can sneak up in there and just grab that ball. 2nd interception it was clear that Prescott was trying to make a play he threw the ball where the play was supposed to go and CD lamb broke off his route and started up field they were he was trying for a off script play and it didn't turn out well.

So yes, while Prescott did play great play bad at times deserves some criticism there's obvious proof here, in the trenches, this Cowboys team is set up for failure against the better teams in the league.. they do not bring what it takes as a team to win.

Where is the defense, run game, and coaching?? This happened to Tony Romo as well, so let’s stay on facts and not flawed memory's. LOL​

let me finish on this,

because we all want the championships, and we keep citing how great Troy and Roger were as championship quarterbacks and deserve the Hall of Fame flowers that they get...

come on people, give me a break they never had to carry a team in that mess I described above, they did not have to feel like they had to come into a game and play perfectly or take all the heat for a loss.

They had Tony Dorsett, Emmitt Smith, Jimmy Johnson, Landry and some of the best play in the trenches you can get out of a team and that is why they won championships, had nothing to do with just having a great quarterback.
iu

Playoff troubles? Easy answer: deer in the headlights.

Too much cocaine too few brain.

CWR

Reaction score
You speak of trenches to cover for Prescott. None of all that matters.

Going into year nine, Prescott and Dallas will be judged in January. The regular season will not matter. The wins and losses will not matter. Any MVP caliber stats will not matter.

It will be about if Prescott and Dallas choke when it counts, period.

If Prescott chokes, that's the label he will carry for his career. Just like Dallas has carried it for the last 28 year.

No more excuses.
Not that I disagree but literally NOTHING you said was a rebuttal towards his argument about the trenches, NOTHING.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Just because someone is highly paid does not mean they are great. Look at the biggest QB contracts of the last few years.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
I mostly wrote that because people have flawed memories they really believe the Ezekiel Elliott of the regular season when he was at his prime or even the DeMarco Murray you know the guy who fumbled in a playoff game and Dan Bailey who missed 2 kicks and the referee calls it all circles back to the quarterback I mean they all think we had dynamic defenses run games ingenious coaching Staffs that developed the trenches and all we are missing is a better quarterback..lmao

I mean somehow their memories are so flawed they thought that the main reason we've been losing these playoff games is because only the quarterback has played poorly and he should have been Superman when we never asked our other great quarterbacks to do that never I've watched those games they threw interceptions in big games just like Tom Brady had three in the NFC championship game just like Matthew Stafford led the league in interceptions and had two in the Super bowl and somehow the Rams teams were just good enough to not use excuses and blame the quarterback they won those games....

I just tried to remind folks from time to time that their memories are very flawed somehow they're blurred I don't remember that all those great players that did well in the regular season did not do so against the better teams in those playoff losses they all failed to live up to expectations just like CD Lam in the last game he didn't have his best game he dropped some passes he ran some bad routes he pounded on the sideline this is just becoming more and more of the same for the last 20 years that something in the playoffs if it can go wrong it does go wrong for the team...
You wrote it to cover for Dak.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
It is a known fact that the laws of the universe require that Dak can only play well if everyone else also plays well first.

If our defense is off that day then, by those universal laws, Dak must also be off.

It sucks that we are bound to these laws.
Never have any consistency I swear!!! It's like clock work

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Excellent post OP. I am in the middle with Dak he is a good QB that has needed help from the defensive side and the running game pretty much post 2016, I do not wallow in negativity I try to look on the bright side of things. Last year if I am JJ I sign Henry to 2 year deal and allow him to run over people to take some pressure off of Prescott. I get down on the sidelines get Micah Parsons off the bench and stop with the 'poor me' pouting bit. The elephant in the room is IMO the Jones family basically not really having the desire to formulate, build, nurture a proper defense, trenches, and an effective running game. I believe it's 90% done on purpose just to prove the point of.

1. Jerry is fully in charge of all things Dallas Cowboys.
2. The Dallas Cowboys will never advance in the playoffs unless Jerry Jones wants them to.
Your post was excellent up till the point where you believe Jones is purposely holding the team back. That’s a ridiculous statement.