Trent Dilfer: If Cowboys fire Garrett, he'll be No. 1 candidate NFL Jobs for

Don Corleone

Reaction score
I find it extremely hard to believe that Garrett would be #1 on anyone's list. If he is, it would say alot about what people think of the other candidates. If Garrett is that "highly regarded" in the football world, why isn't he being looked at as a GM?

What makes you think Jerry won’t give him a front office job where is basically the GM?

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Why do I get the sinking feeling at Jerry will give him a front office job in Dallas where he is a consultant to the next head coach? This would be so Jerry Jones.
I dont know why you are getting that feel. Its pretty random

Reactions: CWR

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
That's fine. But it just has not worked out here. He's had an entire decade.If he goes on and has incredible success elsewhere, great for him. It's not like anyone can say the organization did not give him enough time in Dallas.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I find it extremely hard to believe that Garrett would be #1 on anyone's list. If he is, it would say alot about what people think of the other candidates. If Garrett is that "highly regarded" in the football world, why isn't he being looked at as a GM?
How do we know he isn't being looked at for a GM job?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's fine. But it just has not worked out here. He's had an entire decade.If he goes on and has incredible success elsewhere, great for him. It's not like anyone can say the organization did not give him enough time in Dallas.
Time? No, he had enough time. Leeway to do his job? That's another question. It is speculation as to just how much the Joneses are involved with the actual team but we know one or both of them makes team meetings.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It prevents Jerry from admitting failure regarding Garrett and we know that’s what he ultimately cares about.
If you think thats Jerry ultimately about, then you havent been following Jerry. Jerry cares about profits.

Its funny how people are right that ownership is a problem. But you focus on all the wrong evidence

crashintonickdm

Reaction score
Saban was dismal failure in the nfl. Easy to coach kids but a different animal to coach adult millionaires.

efh313

Reaction score
Why do I get the sinking feeling at Jerry will give him a front office job in Dallas where he is a consultant to the next head coach? This would be so Jerry Jones.
This has been nagging at me and I have been afraid to give it voice for fear of giving it life. Now, I only have you to blame...
:muttley:

ksadler1

Reaction score
What makes you think Jerry won’t give him a front office job where is basically the GM?

Because in Jerry's eyes, there's no reason to pay a GM when he considers himself the best GM in the business. Like I've said many times before here, the only reason Garrett has been here this long is because Jerry knows if he's successful somewhere else all fingers will be pointing at Jerry...

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Especially one that wants the level of control he's said he wants. He learned his lesson in his stint in the NFL, other people control too much of your success unless you're a Belichick, Payton or Reid.

But look at what Lurie did with Kelly. There isn't a one size fits all.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Time? No, he had enough time. Leeway to do his job? That's another question. It is speculation as to just how much the Joneses are involved with the actual team but we know one or both of them makes team meetings.

This is true. But complaining about Jerry "involvement" is like complaining about the sky being blue. It's not changing. Unfortunately it is what it is since he owns the joint. Since that's not changing, you do the next best thing.

fredp22

Reaction score
only Cowboy coach where if he went to Washington, New York (or even Philly if they were looking) I could care less

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Saban was dismal failure in the nfl. Easy to coach kids but a different animal to coach adult millionaires.
He's knocking down 10M a season with the largest coaching staff in football and has 5 stars willing to ride the bench to get one good year and get drafted in the 1st round.

Besides that, he and Garrett are friends, he knows more about that job than anyone in college football.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You're absolutely right, we don't. I hope we're going to find out. Gawd, makes me sick to see what Jerry has created here...
And that's exactly who is responsible, I don't blame Garrett. And I do not hold out any hope for the next HC except that I hope he's a better game manager and actually understands situational football.

Garrett might be effective in a FO position but not in Dallas.

Beaker42

Reaction score
He’s incredibly well regarded in NFL coaching/GM circles. And the fact is there are not a lot of coaches available with 3-4 division titles on their resume.
So underachievers CAN overachieve???

The ONLY thing Garrett succeeds at is failure.