Trent Dilfer on Jason Garrett

Diehardblues

Reaction score
8+ seasons as the full time HC
3 playoff appearances
2 playoff wins

6 head coaches still have their job since Garrett became the full time HC in 2011:
5 have appeared Super Bowls.
5 have won the Super Bowl.

Garrett is the only Dallas Cowboys coach ever to :
  • Lose a game when leading by 14 in 4th qtr (jets 2011)
  • Lose a game after leading by 24 (detroit 2011)....did a similar repeat of this later in GB 2013 game
  • The Cowboys (JG) established a new franchise low in rushing touchdowns in the 2011 season with five, which included a rushing TD by Romo himself
  • Ice his kicker on a winning kick and lose the game....Arizona 2011
  • Lose 3 win or go home games in a row
  • Have 3 non winning seasons in a row, (tied with Campo) also coach Landry when the franchise was first created
  • Go 8-8 3 seasons in a row
  • Had the worst defense in franchise history
  • Go 10 quarters without scoring a TD. Club record. (2017)
  • Score single digits in 3 straight games. Club record. (2017)
  • Lose to a team who had more penalty yardage than offensive yardage. Club record. (2017)
  • Have 4 losses by over 20 points. (2017)
  • Get 8 sacks in 1 game. The most given up by any Cowboy team since 1991.
  • Score 10 points or less in 3 straight games. (2017)
  • Lose a game when running 42 times in a game (2012)
  • Allow 625 yards and 40 first downs in a game (2013)

Jason Garrett is the now the only coach ever to lose a game while winning Time of Possession, Total Yards, Turnovers, Pick up 25 First Downs, and convert at least 10 or more 3rd downs. (91 game sample)
We were a crappy franchise with Jerry before Jason arrived and will be afterwards.

And I’d compare Jason’s tenure to other Puppets preceding him not HC’s in normal situations.

Only 3 teams in NFC have made at least a championship appearance since 1996. Dallas, Detroit and Washington. That’s our peers in this era which began long before Garrett arrived. I’d argue these last 10 years have been the best in Puppet era.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
its not about the money......its being given the authority and freedom to do your job, if your boss continuously puts blockers on your way to get your job done, then its going to impact you
If it's so bad here, please explain why he didn't leave after 2014 when his contact expired. There actually would have been a market for him after his first winning year.

Dodger12

Reaction score
its not about the money......its being given the authority and freedom to do your job, if your boss continuously puts blockers on your way to get your job done, then its going to impact you.....pay check or no pay check.... he thought he can change Jerry. he couldn't, or perhaps he did in some ways...under garrett he was able to sell jones on building inside out on offense, drafting 3 OL men in the first round. putting some process in place. and a few other good things. he has a decent winning regular season record, but has failed in post season.....and 6 other coaches before Garrett failed too and some failed worse.

I don't believe any of that, and I don't mean any disrespect to you. But you're just making assumptions.

And no one is going to change Jerry unless some stipulations are placed in their contract...Jimmy knew it and Parcells knew it. And this idea that it was Garrett who dictated the direction of the draft is ludicrous. Garrett and Tom Ciskowski were beating the drum for Sharif Floyd in 2013 when Jerry traded down and took Fred. TC's little war room tantrum cost him his job......Garrett's job during the draft is to keep Charlotte entertained.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...mployee-in-various-scouting-roles-is-retiring

"Along the way he’s made some quality picks, including being the man credited with finding Larry Allen for the Cowboys and advocating for him right through the draft. But he was also part of the disastrous 2009 draft that will always be remembered unfavorably by Cowboys fans. There was also the controversial 2013 draft where there appeared to be a heated discussion in the war room, in which Ciskowski and Stephen Jones were involved. The Cowboys passed on Shariff Floyd in that draft despite him being ranked highly on their board. They traded down and eventually landed Travis Frederick, but that seemed to be the beginning of the end for Ciskowski’s reign in Dallas."

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
8+ seasons as the full time HC
3 playoff appearances
2 playoff wins

6 head coaches still have their job since Garrett became the full time HC in 2011:
5 have appeared Super Bowls.
5 have won the Super Bowl.

Garrett is the only Dallas Cowboys coach ever to :
  • Lose a game when leading by 14 in 4th qtr (jets 2011)
  • Lose a game after leading by 24 (detroit 2011)....did a similar repeat of this later in GB 2013 game
  • The Cowboys (JG) established a new franchise low in rushing touchdowns in the 2011 season with five, which included a rushing TD by Romo himself
  • Ice his kicker on a winning kick and lose the game....Arizona 2011
  • Lose 3 win or go home games in a row
  • Have 3 non winning seasons in a row, (tied with Campo) also coach Landry when the franchise was first created
  • Go 8-8 3 seasons in a row
  • Had the worst defense in franchise history
  • Go 10 quarters without scoring a TD. Club record. (2017)
  • Score single digits in 3 straight games. Club record. (2017)
  • Lose to a team who had more penalty yardage than offensive yardage. Club record. (2017)
  • Have 4 losses by over 20 points. (2017)
  • Get 8 sacks in 1 game. The most given up by any Cowboy team since 1991.
  • Score 10 points or less in 3 straight games. (2017)
  • Lose a game when running 42 times in a game (2012)
  • Allow 625 yards and 40 first downs in a game (2013)

Jason Garrett is the now the only coach ever to lose a game while winning Time of Possession, Total Yards, Turnovers, Pick up 25 First Downs, and convert at least 10 or more 3rd downs. (91 game sample)

/thread

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Been trying to tell y'all that think he won't get a job as a HC in the NFL. It's not what he knows, it's who he knows.

And raise your hands, those that think that competency is a requirement for a management position. If you raised your hand, you must be very very young.

Dodger12

Reaction score
If it's so bad here, please explain why he didn't leave after 2014 when his contact expired. There actually would have been a market for him after his first winning year.

Garrett's not a self made man. He's never had to venture outside in the real world to take a chance on himself. He stayed with the relative safety that his father (rest his soul) and Jerry provided. He's a fraud and he knows it. So he'll stay with Pappa Jerry as long as he can and be a good and quite "yes" man. Damn fraud.....

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I am not sure I understand the question? he came to the cowboys to try and win a championship as any other coach who joins any team. I don't know of any coaches who say I am here to collect a pay check. he had a goal, to win a championship with the cowboys. this has nothing to do with his ability/inability or his decision making. in his mind he made the right decisions at the time they had to be made....so why leave the cowboys? he has a relationship with the owner. he has history with the team. he built the team....he is not bobby petrino packing his bags middle of the night in the middle of the season and escaping town. we, we, we the fans want him gone. we the fans expect him to quit his job.

what you said, absolutely makes no sense....

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I don't believe any of that, and I don't mean any disrespect to you. But you're just making assumptions.

And no one is going to change Jerry unless some stipulations are placed in their contract...Jimmy knew it and Parcells knew it. And this idea that it was Garrett who dictated the direction of the draft is ludicrous. Garrett and Tom Ciskowski were beating the drum for Sharif Floyd in 2013 when Jerry traded down and took Fred. TC's little war room tantrum cost him his job......Garrett's job during the draft is to keep Charlotte entertained.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...mployee-in-various-scouting-roles-is-retiring

"Along the way he’s made some quality picks, including being the man credited with finding Larry Allen for the Cowboys and advocating for him right through the draft. But he was also part of the disastrous 2009 draft that will always be remembered unfavorably by Cowboys fans. There was also the controversial 2013 draft where there appeared to be a heated discussion in the war room, in which Ciskowski and Stephen Jones were involved. The Cowboys passed on Shariff Floyd in that draft despite him being ranked highly on their board. They traded down and eventually landed Travis Frederick, but that seemed to be the beginning of the end for Ciskowski’s reign in Dallas."
garrett didn't DICTATE direction of the draft, but to ignore his influence is ignorant..... there were coaches who had NO INFLUENCE in the draft, like campo....Wade....Jerry ran rough shot over them and the drafts were disastrous...horrible.

but you can't deny the fact that garrett had influence and his philosophy, wrong or right was to rebuild the OL and thus we focused on drafting offensive line talent.....if those guys weren't talented, we probably wouldn't draft them....but in the past, we passed on talented OL men and drafted other positions......

bill parcells didn't just pick the players he wanted. neither did jimmy Johnson, but both had strong influence on the draft..... you can't deny any of that.

like I said, hate on garrett as much as you want....its time for him to go. its run its course (past due...)...but I am not giving Jerry any credit without giving same credit to the coaches who influenced him. we have seen history of Jones running the draft without balance in the room, for Gawd's sake he was going to piuck Johnny Manziel. he himself said so. his son stopped him and we picked Zack Martin.....Jerry makes flashy picks, to sell jersey's.....popularity

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There will be a market for him this off season, if Norv Turner can walk off the job and get another one and John Fox can land on his feet, Garrett will be a HC. It is easier to name the teams Turner hasn't been with.

A HC for a team is an image guy and required to schmooze sponsors and be a figurehead for the team. Garrett is the best political HC in the NFL. Think that wasn't by design when he spoke at the owner's meeting when they approved the PI review? One report said some owners had tears in their eyes and stood and applauded his remarks about the integrity of the NFL.

And think any owner, that would be interested, isn't aware of the Joneses involvement and interference. They can't keep their mouths shut. Believe me, they do not think the HC is the problem with the Cowboys.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I am not sure I understand the question?
LOL, what's so hard to understand? If you had a boss who made it impossible for you to do your job, and you had the opportunity to take basically the same job at another company where you could do your job, why wouldn't you take it?

How does that question not make sense?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
garrett didn't DICTATE direction of the draft, but to ignore his influence is ignorant..... there were coaches who had NO INFLUENCE in the draft, like campo....Wade....Jerry ran rough shot over them and the drafts were disastrous...horrible.

but you can't deny the fact that garrett had influence and his philosophy, wrong or right was to rebuild the OL and thus we focused on drafting offensive line talent.....if those guys weren't talented, we probably wouldn't draft them....but in the past, we passed on talented OL men and drafted other positions......

bill parcells didn't just pick the players he wanted. neither did jimmy Johnson, but both had strong influence on the draft..... you can't deny any of that.

like I said, hate on garrett as much as you want....its time for him to go. its run its course (past due...)...but I am not giving Jerry any credit without giving same credit to the coaches who influenced him. we have seen history of Jones running the draft without balance in the room, for Gawd's sake he was going to piuck Johnny Manziel. he himself said so. his son stopped him and we picked Zack Martin.....Jerry makes flashy picks, to sell jersey's.....popularity
Posters kept asking what the "process" was and he picked that up from Saban, who took that from Belichick and it means different things but Garrett's process was exactly what Parcells said his was, keeping the owner from himself.

Garrett has been doing his best to influence Booger into realizing how that 90's team was really built. Booger is a follow the ball GM and loves him some triplets and that is the large majority of the fandom, they love offense and the most famous Cowboys for most fans have been from that side.

Any time I defended Garrett, it wasn't about being a sideline HC because I don't think he's a good one. But when I consider the challenge of any HC on this team, he has been successful on the talent side, as successful as he could be.

Garrett has Booger's trust and it's going to take a new guy time to get that. Because of their relationship, he doesn't doubt Garrett's motives.

One thing too many here do not fully accept is that this is the most unusual situation in all pro sports, a manger doesn't just have to manage the team, he has to manage the GM. Some think this will automatically improve by replacing the HC and I do not believe that...at all. Not one of those guys we've been discussing will have the level of power behind the scenes that Garrett has had.

The mistake wasn't hiring Garrett, the mistake was not realizing that he needed the best coaching staff money could buy around him.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LOL, what's so hard to understand? If you had a boss who made it impossible for you to do your job, and you had the opportunity to take basically the same job at another company where you could do your job, why wouldn't you take it?

How does that question not make sense?
But what if your relationship with your boss and members of the family was more than employer/employee? Take a really good look at Garrett at a pc with Booger & Son when he and the son bracket Booger. Tell me which one is looking at him like a son.

It's not just a family run business, Garrett has been adopted into the family. His wife is best friends with Booger's daughter, Boogerette.

ksadler1

Reaction score
If Garrett goes elsewhere and has a lot of success, Jerry will tell everyone, "I told you guys Garrett was good coach". At the same time everyone will be looking at Jerry like, "are you that stupid Jerry?" Jerry will still blame everyone but himself. He'll NEVER admit he was a huge part of the problem...

Dodger12

Reaction score

Don't go off on a tangent. I never said I was giving Jerry credit. I simply said that for all this talk about Garrett building the lines, it's just not backed up by the facts. He wanted Floyd in 2013 and in 2012 we took a CB at #6 after training up. You know how many OL we took in 2012? None...zero....zilch. And knowing that we took no OL in 2012, you'd think Garrett would be on board with grabbing an OL in 2013? Nope, he wants the "best player on our board", Floyd, so he and TC throw a hissy fit for trading down.

And I'll say this. Jimmy controlled the draft and picked who he wanted. He was the last HC to have full control of this team. I do agree with your point on Parcells.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Jerry was on the radio talking about what a great speaker Garrett is, and Jerry referenced that Garrett spoke at the owners meeting and the owners were captivated by his speech.

I have no doubt Garrett will be scooped up immediately after his contract expires.
I have a house on the moon I would like to sale you.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Thats the loyalty of the former scrub QB club...

Aikman is a scrub too?

Troy spoke at length about how Jerry doesn't let Garrett do his job and how that is the real problem for the organization.