Trent Dilfer on Jason Garrett

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
I think most of us on this forum are past the point of just being a casual Cowboy fans. We all follow this team a little more closely to the point that it's kind of a small side hobby during the week.

It's just gotten to the point on gamedays where I do not look forward to the games at all and while I do have the Cowboys game on I find myself browsing the web instead of actually watching the games.

They bore me. This act is stale and hard to watch.

It's like i've seen this show a 100 times and i'm ready to watch something new.

Right! I'm from a large family...one of 5 kids.. that are Cowboy fans and I have watched since 75 as a kid. My wife's family is bigger..one of 6 kids.. and they are all Cowboy fans. We flew to LA and went to the playoff game last year. Went to Thanksgiving this year. I went with a bro in law to the Vikings playoff game with Favre. Everyone gets Rah-rah with the jerseys, etc. All it gives me is a headache despite the fandom the last few years....and as you said we all seem more invested here. It used to be fun to go all in but even on the recent games I walk away shrugging. It's weird too....guys like Campo were horrible but I was excited and hoping still. It now just feels like Groundhog Day which makes me do things I'd never do in the past..."yeah lets take the kids somewhere despite the game being on."

GMO415

Reaction score
When he goes somewhere else we'll see. He could claim Jerry was holding him back.

VACowboy

Reaction score
That's completely inaccurate. A shakeup is in order, but his offense was top ten every year he was a coordinator. Look before you jump.

That's definitely not accurate. In terms of yards his offenses ranked #3, #13 and #2. In terms of points they ranked #2, #18 and #14.
Very exciting, and certainly not "top ten every year he was a coordinator." If you watch the games or follow Dallas Cowboys football you know that the Garrett offense has always been predictable and not very creative, that as a coach Jason Garrett is extremely conservative and not adaptable. Which is my beef. Yeah, his simple man-beat-man scheme seems to pump out some stats in the regular seasons of random years. Yeah, his offense racked up some yards, September through December of '07 and '09. And then Jason Garrett's mighty top-10 offensive machine managed 17 and a 3 points in the playoffs and promptly went home.

Rah.

Rah.

Rah.

To me the real question is, how good could those Tony Romo teams have been if the offense helped the players do their jobs instead of depending on them to just make plays? Obviously we'll never know. With Dak, Zeke, Cooper, Gallup, Jarwin and a great OL for the foreseeable future, I REALLY hope we get the chance to find out.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Wow! This shows those in the league know more about the man he is behind the scenes.

well, he gets a lot of credit for putting up with Jones all these years. everyone and I mean everyone in the league know Jones the GM sucks...and how difficult it is to work with him.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Actually he’s best suited for HC. His number one trait is communication and leadership which is most important role of HC rather than coordinator.

I think he honestly could succeed his mentor Saban at Alabama and crush it. His leadership would translate most to the college level. Plus he’s actually really smart at X’s and O’s. He just chooses to be risk adverse which can cost you in big games.

He's not smart at Xs and Os, though. He's god awful.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I dont doubt this at all. Still, he has shown repeatedly that he is a better coach monday through saturday than on game day. He would be really good with a rebuilding team, but I grow more and more skeptical that he can take a team all the way.
I think you make a great point. in most games, it comes down to a crucial few decisions during the game since most games go into the 4th quarter close. I think you are absolutely right, he will be good for rebuilding but has difficulty getting over the top. he brings a process, sanity and can pull together and bring players that fit a certain philosophy. he has attention of his team and knows how to get to the players....having a strong OC or DC would be what he needs on game days to do the play calling....

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
As long as Garrett continues to mismanage clock, play gutless on 4th down in opponent territory, and never have his team ready to play in critical games, I'll continue to value my opinion more than the NFL brass.

I agree with this. It's not that Garrett doesn't have any strengths. He does. But he's been incompetent in game clock management. As long as that's the case, he's unfit to be a HC.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
8+ seasons as the full time HC
3 playoff appearances
2 playoff wins

6 head coaches still have their job since Garrett became the full time HC in 2011:
5 have appeared Super Bowls.
5 have won the Super Bowl.

Garrett is the only Dallas Cowboys coach ever to :
  • Lose a game when leading by 14 in 4th qtr (jets 2011)
  • Lose a game after leading by 24 (detroit 2011)....did a similar repeat of this later in GB 2013 game
  • The Cowboys (JG) established a new franchise low in rushing touchdowns in the 2011 season with five, which included a rushing TD by Romo himself
  • Ice his kicker on a winning kick and lose the game....Arizona 2011
  • Lose 3 win or go home games in a row
  • Have 3 non winning seasons in a row, (tied with Campo) also coach Landry when the franchise was first created
  • Go 8-8 3 seasons in a row
  • Had the worst defense in franchise history
  • Go 10 quarters without scoring a TD. Club record. (2017)
  • Score single digits in 3 straight games. Club record. (2017)
  • Lose to a team who had more penalty yardage than offensive yardage. Club record. (2017)
  • Have 4 losses by over 20 points. (2017)
  • Get 8 sacks in 1 game. The most given up by any Cowboy team since 1991.
  • Score 10 points or less in 3 straight games. (2017)
  • Lose a game when running 42 times in a game (2012)
  • Allow 625 yards and 40 first downs in a game (2013)

Jason Garrett is the now the only coach ever to lose a game while winning Time of Possession, Total Yards, Turnovers, Pick up 25 First Downs, and convert at least 10 or more 3rd downs. (91 game sample)

Dodger12

Reaction score
well, he gets a lot of credit for putting up with Jones all these years. everyone and I mean everyone in the league know Jones the GM sucks...and how difficult it is to work with him.

I'll tell you what, I've had a few bosses here and there that have sucked. Garrett is getting 6 million a year for a job he coveted knowing full well what Jerry is/was before he accepted the job. I don't give that coaching fraud one bit of credit.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
He's made around 60 million dollars here. Poor guy. My heart bleeds for him.

And if things were that unbearable, he could have left after 2014 and showcased his greatness somewhere else.

Dodger12

Reaction score
8+ seasons as the full time HC
3 playoff appearances
2 playoff wins

6 head coaches still have their job since Garrett became the full time HC in 2011:
5 have appeared Super Bowls.
5 have won the Super Bowl.

Garrett is the only Dallas Cowboys coach ever to :
  • Lose a game when leading by 14 in 4th qtr (jets 2011)
  • Lose a game after leading by 24 (detroit 2011)....did a similar repeat of this later in GB 2013 game
  • The Cowboys (JG) established a new franchise low in rushing touchdowns in the 2011 season with five, which included a rushing TD by Romo himself
  • Ice his kicker on a winning kick and lose the game....Arizona 2011
  • Lose 3 win or go home games in a row
  • Have 3 non winning seasons in a row, (tied with Campo) also coach Landry when the franchise was first created
  • Go 8-8 3 seasons in a row
  • Had the worst defense in franchise history
  • Go 10 quarters without scoring a TD. Club record. (2017)
  • Score single digits in 3 straight games. Club record. (2017)
  • Lose to a team who had more penalty yardage than offensive yardage. Club record. (2017)
  • Have 4 losses by over 20 points. (2017)
  • Get 8 sacks in 1 game. The most given up by any Cowboy team since 1991.
  • Score 10 points or less in 3 straight games. (2017)
  • Lose a game when running 42 times in a game (2012)
  • Allow 625 yards and 40 first downs in a game (2013)

Jason Garrett is the now the only coach ever to lose a game while winning Time of Possession, Total Yards, Turnovers, Pick up 25 First Downs, and convert at least 10 or more 3rd downs. (91 game sample)

I wish I could give this more than one "like" and it probably even deserves a thread of it's own.

lostar2009

Reaction score
As long as Garrett continues to mismanage clock, play gutless on 4th down in opponent territory, and never have his team ready to play in critical games, I'll continue to value my opinion more than the NFL brass.

He did go for 4th and short.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

And if things were that unbearable, he could have left after 2014 and showcased his greatness somewhere else.
We are paying about 200 million a year to a roster which isn’t producing anymore.

Maybe they could go elsewhere and have more success.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I'll tell you what, I've had a few bosses here and there that have sucked. Garrett is getting 6 million a year for a job he coveted knowing full well what Jerry is/was before he accepted the job. I don't give that coaching fraud one bit of credit.
its not about the money......its being given the authority and freedom to do your job, if your boss continuously puts blockers on your way to get your job done, then its going to impact you.....pay check or no pay check.... he thought he can change Jerry. he couldn't, or perhaps he did in some ways...under garrett he was able to sell jones on building inside out on offense, drafting 3 OL men in the first round. putting some process in place. and a few other good things. he has a decent winning regular season record, but has failed in post season.....and 6 other coaches before Garrett failed too and some failed worse.

lets not defend Jerry and put all the blame on Garrett. yes, garrett needs to go. sometimes, its just time for it...but lets not forget the next coach is going to come here and we end up with the same results.....its been that way for 25 years....

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

its not about the money. at that level, its about accomplishments and higher level goals...to you and I its about the money...probably you and I would have cashed the checks and wait for jones to fire us....like Campo....like Switzer.....

and I didn't mean it to be as if its unbearable punishment...its that some lack of success for COWBOYS and thus us as fans suffering s a result is because of Jones....he is a difficult GM/Owner and no one in 25 years has found success with him being fully involved to the level that he is.....

you are angry at garrett...I get it....a lot of fans are...its frustration...but get ready...frustration is about to continue and you have to redirect your anger....there will be a few that will reach back and blame garrett some how...trust me, it will happen