Trent Dilfer on Jason Garrett

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
I don’t get it, he is a good motivator yes, however he has almost no tactical skills and poor game management ability. I’ll take having the latter two characteristics than the former every time.

Sydla

Reaction score
I mean let's assume Garrett is a great coach stymied by Jerry.

It doesn't change the fact he's delivered 2 playoff wins in 9 years and in terms of coaches that have coached at least 150 games, he's dead in the middle in terms of winning percentage.

Maybe he's a great coach............ he's just not a great coach here. Might be time to see if there is another guy out there that might be able to work better within the confines Jerry puts on his HC. It's clear Garrett can't.

Sydla

Reaction score
I don’t get it, he is a good motivator yes, however he has almost no tactical skills and poor game management ability. I’ll take having the latter two characteristics than the former every time.

That's the thing I always come back to. Game and clock management. He's been a coach for 9 years and still has issues with how to handle the clock at ends of the halves and games. It's why I can't jump in with both feet with those claiming he's a great coach. The fact he still struggles with game and clock management is a big reason he's just a so-so, average level coach.

I mean that Vikings game finish was awful and then his dumb explanation after the fact was total BS.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You are far from the voice of reason. You consistently try to convince some people you don't think Garrett is a good coach but then try to convince the other side of the debate that Garrett is really good in working under Jerry.

LOL. You try to play both sides of the argument.
I am a Devils Advocate on many issues. And I believe I play the roll very well.

I do believe while Garrett isn’t a great HC ( which I don’t believe is a real possibility with Jerry Ball) he is the Perfect Puppet.

We simply can’t measure our HC in the same manner we would other normal situations.

So, in effect it’s not playing both sides. It’s just agreeing he isn’t a great HC but the right man for the job,

Praxit

Reaction score
I bet he can help influence building a championship contender . And have a better shot somewhere else.

This is what most fans miss. This isn’t a normal football franchise. And it’s not an environment which leads to success. It’s not likely as Troy and others have stated that anyone can overcome the toxic dysfunctional atmosphere.

I’m actually looking forward to Garrett having a greater opportunity elsewhere. Never really understood why he didn’t bolt when he had a chance. Just assumed he’d made some kind of deal long term with the Devil.
....I think since he never got challenged here by GM or anyone else, his career was safe. Even though most seasons rode with 8-8, they weren't losing.

Sydla

Reaction score
ImDevils Advocate. And I believe I play the roll very well.

I do believe while Garrett isn’t a great HC ( which I don’t believe is a real possibility with Jerry Ball) he is the Perfect Puppet.

We simply can’t measure our HC in the same manner we would other normal situations.

But you can.

How does the HC work within the confines put in place by Jerry? Garrett hasn't succeeded. Time to see if someone else can.

Look, we can all agree that Jerry likely places unneeded influence on a HC and his job. But that's not changing in our lifetimes. As long as Jerry is in control, this is how it's going to be. So either you see if you can find someone who can figure out a way to make that work or throw up your hands and accept the mediocrity that is the Cowboys.

If Garrett were the "perfect" puppet for Jerry, he'd be a guy that was smart enough to navigate the waters around Jerry and win. But he hasn't. Maybe no one on this planet can. But I'd rather try than keep spitting out predictably unsuccessful seasons year after year with Garrett.

Sydla

Reaction score
Yep. All I heard was he was going to change the face of the NFL. They were all clueless.

From Dilfer...........

“I’m completely, 100 percent all in on Chip Kelly. In my time in football and I’ve been around some really good coaches. Tony Dungy, Brian Billick for a stretch when he had his fastball, Mike Holmgren, obviously, Norv Turner, who is one of the best offensive minds in many years. Of all those people, I think this is the finest football coach I’ve ever studied.”

We should take what all these guys say about Garrett, good and bad, with a grain of salt.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I mean let's assume Garrett is a great coach stymied by Jerry.

It doesn't change the fact he's delivered 2 playoff wins in 9 years and in terms of coaches that have coached at least 150 games, he's dead in the middle in terms of winning percentage.

Maybe he's a great coach............ he's just not a great coach here. Might be time to see if there is another guy out there that might be able to work better within the confines Jerry puts on his HC. It's clear Garrett can't.
I lean more to Troys and other notable assessments . That there isn’t anyone out there Jerry would allow to come in and have more success.

This is more about Jerry’s ways than our coaching staffs we’ve had going back even before Jason.

But sure, we can continue spinning the wheel. I suppose it gives some fans hope in an otherwise hopeless situation.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Wow! This shows those in the league know more about the man he is behind the scenes.

Notice how the tweet doesnt mention players. Ultimately this is what matters. The coach has to be on the same accord with players for it to work out.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
While I agree that our meddling owner can hold any coach back to an extent.....but over the last decade I've witnessed Jason make some absolutely dumb in game decisions...............Jerry had nothing to do with those.

Sydla

Reaction score
I lean more to Troys and other notable assessments . That there isn’t anyone out there Jerry would allow to come in and have more success.

This is more about Jerry’s ways than our coaching staffs we’ve had going back even before Jason.

But sure, we can continue spinning the wheel. I suppose it gives some fans hope in an otherwise hopeless situation.

Troy really didn't say that. He's been quite critical of the coaching staff and things they have done that have really zero to do with the influence Jerry exerts on football operations.

Sydla

Reaction score
While I agree that our meddling owner can hold any coach back to an extent.....but over the last decade I've witnessed Jason make some absolutely dumb in game decisions...............Jerry had nothing to do with those.

Exactly. It wasn't Jerry who botched the end of the Vikings game, for example. It wasn't Jerry that made the offensive staff go silly those last two minutes. It wasn't Jerry who came out (or made Garrett) make those ridiculous rationalizations after the game to explain why they did what they did.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
But you can.

How does the HC work within the confines put in place by Jerry? Garrett hasn't succeeded. Time to see if someone else can.

Look, we can all agree that Jerry likely places unneeded influence on a HC and his job. But that's not changing in our lifetimes. As long as Jerry is in control, this is how it's going to be. So either you see if you can find someone who can figure out a way to make that work or throw up your hands and accept the mediocrity that is the Cowboys.

If Garrett were the "perfect" puppet for Jerry, he'd be a guy that was smart enough to navigate the waters around Jerry and win. But he hasn't. Maybe no one on this planet can. But I'd rather try than keep spitting out predictably unsuccessful seasons year after year with Garrett.
It depends on what your level of success is. It’s obviously been enough for Jerry. Which is the insanity of it all. Lol

It’s interesting while you appear to accept Jerry’s not changing and the effects but you don’t accept what the results of that means. Talk about banging heads up against a wall . You’re assuming winning is Jerry’s priority. Which doesn’t seem likely or he’d step away.

And Jason has navigated around it to win. Just not winning championships. Which appears to be the only measurement some fans have.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Troy really didn't say that. He's been quite critical of the coaching staff and things they have done that have really zero to do with the influence Jerry exerts on football operations.
Then you interpreted it differently from most.

Sydla

Reaction score
It depends on what your level of success is. It’s obviously been enough for Jerry. Which is the insanity of it all. Lol

It’s interesting while you appear to accept Jerry’s not changing and the effects but you don’t accept what the results of that means. Talk about banging heads up against a wall . You’re assuming winning is Jerry’s priority. Which doesn’t seem likely or he’d step away.

And Jason has navigated around it to win. Just not winning championships. Which appears to be the only measurement some fans have.

See I don't think Jerry is happy with what the Cowboys have achieved. He wants to win a SB. His issue is that he thinks Garrett can do it and that up until now, Garrett just has been the victim of circumstance. But that appears to be changing, at least with what Jerry has said over the last half the season.