Trent Dilfer on Jason Garrett

Diehardblues

Reaction score
See I don't think Jerry is happy with what the Cowboys have achieved. He wants to win a SB. His issue is that he thinks Garrett can do it and that up until now, Garrett just has been the victim of circumstance. But that appears to be changing, at least with what Jerry has said over the last half the season.
Jerry wants to win very badly . But only his way. I’m not sure you see the difference?

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Of course they respect Garrett. He's the ultimate yes man and never gets into conflicts. He's just a nice guy that tries to get along with everyone

Sydla

Reaction score
Jerry wants to win very badly . But only his way. I’m not sure you see the difference?

You just contradicted yourself. Here you say Jerry wants to win very badly. But a few posts above you said this:

It depends on what your level of success is. It’s obviously been enough for Jerry. Which is the insanity of it all. Lol

But here you seem to be saying Jerry is quite happy with the level of success he's gotten to date. So how can Jerry want to win very badly but then you also say Jerry is happy with us not winning anything of note?

ShortRound

Reaction score
And I get that attitude. But it doesn’t mean we need to slam Garrett for all he’s attempted to overcome in this dysfunctional organization.

No i understand Garrett doesn't the same parameters as other coaches. I've always rooted for this dysfunctional system to work. And if we can't change jerry the only other thing we can do is try another coach. It is what we have in Dallas.

Dallasfann

Reaction score
I trust what Trent Dilfer says way more then any poster on this entire board. #thatshouldoffendafew

Sydla

Reaction score
I read it as though the environment Jerry’s exhibits isn’t conducive for success.

Yeah that's not what he said in entirety. He did criticize Jerry's control but he was also quite critical of coaching mistakes that have ZERO to do with Jerry.

BatteryPowered

Reaction score
It seems to me, with this thread as exhibit A, that the same people that criticize the position of signing Dak to a long-term deal because we might not be able to find a better QB are the same people making the argument that JG should stay because the next coach may not do better working with Jerry?

Sydla

Reaction score
It seems to me, with this thread as exhibit A, that the same people that criticize the position of signing Dak to a long-term deal because we might not be able to find a better QB are the same people making the argument that JG should stay because the next coach may not do better working with Jerry?

It's the same logic but I am not sure it's the same cross section of fans.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think people who understand what it takes to be a HC especially with medling jerry and his lip puckering cronies, know how hard it is to operate under these circumstances.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
This last game against the Rams proved more why is needs to go than he needs to stay. A good head coach with this much talent should have his team playing the way they did against the Rams. A good coach doesn't go 3 weeks playing like crap, or lose to a bottom feeder.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yeah that's not what he said in entirety. He did criticize Jerry's control but he was also quite critical of coaching mistakes that have ZERO to do with Jerry.
They have everything to do with Jerry if he hired them. Lol

I’m not sure why Jerry receives a pass from some fans. The very fact we have coaching issues is all on Jerry.

Dodger12

Reaction score
The speaking was mentioned many times in this thread, starting with #10.

But I'm glad Trent Dilfer's opinion outweighs two playoff wins in ten years for you.

Ten years CL...ten years and we still have apologists. All we talk about with Garrett is some abstract idea of how "smart" he is...or how much he's liked around the league or some other BS. Nothing about coaching, being innovative, half time adjustments, game and clock management....you know, the things that are important for a HC. Man have our expectations gone down the crapper....

Sydla

Reaction score
They have everything to do with Jerry if he hired them. Lol

I’m not sure why Jerry receives a pass from some fans. The very fact we have coaching issues is all on Jerry.

Are you insinuating I am giving him a pass? That's idiotic.

But the fact remains it wasn't Jerry who made Garrett and his staff botch the end of the Vikings game......... or make numerous mistakes in the most recent game Aikman called on TV where he OPENLY criticized some coaching mistakes.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Ten years CL...ten years and we still have apologists. All we talk about with Garrett is some abstract idea of how "smart" he is...or how much he's liked around the league or some other BS. Nothing about coaching, being innovative, half time adjustments, game and clock management....you know, the things that are important for a HC. Man have our expectations gone down the crapper....
People have been insisting there's no way Garrett comes back, but this thread shows how wrong that is. It only takes a win or two and some praise from media spares like Dilfer for people to start rationalizing, "Well, maybe he isn't so bad..."

And that will be all Jerry needs to keep him.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
I actually think Garrett should get into broadcasting as his next job. He obviously won't be breaking down plays like Romo but he is a safe personality and will keep things generic to appeal to the general audience. He could be the Gruden replacement that MNF has been needing.

Sydla

Reaction score
People have been insisting there's no way Garrett comes back, but this thread shows how wrong that is. It only takes a win or two and some praise from media spares like Dilfer for people to start rationalizing, "Well, maybe he isn't so bad..."

And that will be all Jerry needs to keep him.

I want to beat Philly and make the playoffs.

But I also realize if that happens, there exists a very real possibility Jerry will be duped into thinking Garrett is close and a 3 to 5 year contract extension will be granted.

BatteryPowered

Reaction score
I think people who understand what it takes to be a HC especially with medling jerry and his lip puckering cronies, know how hard it is to operate under these circumstances.

I think people who believe they understand what it takes to be a HC especially with medling jerry and his lip puckering cronies, think they know how hard it is to operate under these circumstances.

Fixed it for you :D