Signed by Cowboys Trevon Diggs 5-Year, $97M Extension (Contract Details Post 416)

blueblood70

Reaction score
Guy doesn't tackle. Paid way too much. Sorry I know people will not agree.
Look dude he didn't tackle well towards the end of last year and I believe he had a reason for it,

after we lose brown and lose Lewis and our backfield was in shambles for a while scrambling trying to find guys who can play,

he had a hand that was hurt and I believe he was playing a little tentative because I think he didn't want to end up getting knocked out of these games late in the season.

Saying he's paid way too much when he's paid market value for a dude who's actually considered top ten right now and projected if he keeps improving which he has each year he's giving up less yards he's being thrown at less because quarterbacks are afraid to throw at him...

he's always looking to make a big play, so he's not a guy being paid for what he's done up to this point, I believe he's going to improve even more...

now that he's gotten paid he can relax and just play more instinctual just go out and be the player he is. Just about every big contract around here is being say that it's overpaid.

I mean there aren't many guys who got paid where this place was really happy about it and giving the guy congratulations let's see how this plays out over the next three seasons then we can judge it.

but he is a top ten corner there is no debate that you can make to make him less than top 10 and it is debatable whether he is moving into the top five.

he has that potential and in order to keep a guy like that you have to pay him market money that is the NFL. you would rather have some scrub should we put Anthony Wright over there??? I mean who on this team has that reputation to scare a quarterback and play cover one with very little help and then looking at last year what happened with all the injuries with our DB's??

I mean who won this teams taking his place are you saying we should go into the draft next year and hope that a corner even on his level falls to us and then use a another first round pick on a player we already have here??

But again on the no tackling thing neither did Deion Sanders and by the way Diggs while not a great tackler before those last five or six games last year actually was not afraid to contact,

that is not something he has a reputation for doing it was just seemed like a little stretch where he was tentative so don't say the guy doesn't tackle when most cornerbacks are not known for tackling it's clouding Deion Sanders you know the business decision, he made famous by saying that.

kskboys

Reaction score
Look dude he didn't tackle well towards the end of last year and I believe he had a reason for it after we lose brown and lose Lewis and our backfield was in shambles for awhile scrambling trying to find guys who can play he had a hand that was hurt and I believe he was playing a little tentative because I think he didn't want to end up getting knocked out of these games late in the season. Saying he's paid way too much when he's paid market value for a dude who's actually considered top ten right now and projected if he keeps improving which he has each year he's giving up less yards he's being thrown at less because quarterbacks are afraid to throw at him and he's always looking to make a big play so he's not a guy being paid for what he's done up to this point I believe he's gonna improve even more and now that he's gotten paid he can relax and just play more instinctual just go out and be the player he is. Just about every big contract around here is being say that it's overpaid I mean there aren't many guys who got paid where this place was really happy about it and giving the guy congratulations let's see how this plays out over the next three seasons then we can judge it

but he is a top ten corner there is no debate that you can make to make him less than top 10 and it is debatable whether he is moving into the top five but he has that potential and in order to keep a guy like that you have to pay him market money that is the NFL you would rather have some scrub should we put Anthony right over there I mean who on this team has that reputation to scare a quarterback and play cover one with very little help and then looking at last year what happened with all the injuries with our DB's I mean who won this teams taking his place are you saying we should go into the draft next year and hope that a corner even on his level falls to us and then use a another first round pick on a player we already have here??

But again on the no tackling thing neither did deon Sanders and by the way diggs while not a great tackler before those last five or six games last year actually was not afraid to contact that is not something here has a reputation for doing it was just seemed like a little stretch where he was tentative so don't say the guy doesn't tackle when most cornerbacks are not known for tackling it's clouding deon Sanders you know the business decision he made famous by saying that..
There are several debates about him being top 10. Unless you're a homer, I guess, then there's not.

If he can learn to play w/ more discipline, I agree, he could be top 5.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
I guess I will have to live with the no tackling thing but not sure I can handle 5 more years of shameless self promotion from baby Diggs.

Techsass

Reaction score
Wow Diggs didn't even make this list.

Not to hijack the thread, but I found this interesting in the WR part of the lists.

"A big acquisition that has mostly gone under the radar this offseason is the Cowboys’ trade for Brandin Cooks. Outside of CeeDee Lamb, Dallas receivers struggled to get open last season, as Michael Gallup’s 37.5% open-target rate was the fifth lowest among qualifying receivers. Adding Cooks into the mix should open things up for a Cowboys offense that was just middle-of-the-pack in terms of passing yardage last season."

CeeDee was #18 & Brandin was #22 in the WR Open Target list.

dogberry

Reaction score
How much of Diggs' new money does California claim for income tax?

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Diggs is a risk taker. That can lead to a feast or famine situation. He feasted w/ 11 INTs a couple seasons ago, but O-coordinators can start to use that aggressiveness against the CB in their game-planning. Looks like that has started to happen
Offenses were already doing that two years ago in his 11 INT season. Last year he was much better and offenses pretty much just threw away from him. He still had some of the gambling in his game, but he was better last year. The other CB spot was so problematic that offenses just threw that way.

His INT’s were down because he was better about taking risks and because QB’s threw away from him. Gilmore will go a long way towards getting balls coming at Diggs again. He will always take some risks though.

Motorola

Reaction score
I commented yesterday (#49) that the split for CZers liking /not liking Diggs' new deal would be 60% /40%..
After reading through the 350+ more comments just now...I was mistaken.
It appears to be 40% for, 40% against, with the remaining 10% on the fence about it.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I commented yesterday (#49) that the split for CZers liking /not liking Diggs' new deal would be 60% /40%..
After reading through the 350+ more comments just now...I was mistaken.
It appears to be 40% for, 40% against, with the remaining 10% on the fence about it.
What is the other 10% saying?

Flamma

Reaction score
The Zeke contract was a good contract. My only problem w/ it was allowing him to hold out while under contract w/ no repercussions.
Right. But that's not something that can be done anymore. Fines can no longer be waived.

mcmvp

Reaction score
Offenses were already doing that two years ago in his 11 INT season. Last year he was much better and offenses pretty much just threw away from him. He still had some of the gambling in his game, but he was better last year. The other CB spot was so problematic that offenses just threw that way.

His INT’s were down because he was better about taking risks and because QB’s threw away from him. Gilmore will go a long way towards getting balls coming at Diggs again. He will always take some risks though.
They threw a little less to his side last year - that was probably due to his INTs the year before. But he still allowed a 64.7 completion percentage on the 85 targets towards him. In 2021, he only allowed 52.4% completions. Wouldn't be surprised to see more targets his way this season - especially with the Gilmore addition.

Flamma

Reaction score
I agree the front office has done a great job shuffling contracts and making sure they were staggered and either front loaded or back loaded with void years etcetera etcetera they're getting it figured out. I realize this is a huge deal and we still have Sydney lamb coming down the Pike and possibly Micah Parsons but that's a ways down there and we have to still talk about Prescott's restructure or extension but the point here is did we think that Trayvon diggs is worth this deal given he's only three years in and in my opinion he's improved every year and I think he still has room for improvement so we're not paying just for his past interceptions I believe he's gonna be one of the guys that do get better after the contract and I think that whole no contact thing last year had something to do with us losing Lewis and brown and him having something wrong with his hand and I believe he didn't want to risk getting knocked out of the games..

Now with his insurance of this huge deal, he still has room for improvement and I think he's taking steps to do that every single year, I think he'll play more freely and I think he'll be fine.
I agree. I think he'll live up to most of that contract. I don't think he'll be a bust. Again, I don't care about Jerry's money, I care about cap hits. He is very much worth the contract IMO. If not, they'll figure a way to make it not too bad against the cap.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
They threw a little less to his side last year - that was probably due to his INTs the year before. But he still allowed a 64.7 completion percentage on the 85 targets towards him. In 2021, he only allowed 52.4% completions. Wouldn't be surprised to see more targets his way this season - especially with the Gilmore addition.
Offenses were constantly throwing at whoever they had opposite Diggs. They’ll absolutely throw at Diggs more this year, yeah.

Motorola

Reaction score
What is the other 10% saying?
Things like:
- 'I guess I'll have to live wiith the no tackling thing...'

- 'Boom or bust DBs have their place in the league, but paying them like they are Revis is when it becomes an issue.'

- 'I don't love it or hate it. If he stays at his 2022 level of play then he's not grossly overpaid.'

- 'I thought looking for a trade for Diggs was the better play considering the money he would make.'

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Things like:
- 'I guess I'll have to live wiith the no tackling thing...'

- 'Boom or bust DBs have their place in the league, but paying them like they are Revis is when it becomes an issue.'

- 'I don't love it or hate it. If he stays at his 2022 level of play then he's not grossly overpaid.'

- 'I thought looking for a trade for Diggs was the better play considering the money he would make.'
I was just messing with you about your math man… thanks for being a good sport.