Trevor Lawrence Sweepstakes update

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
If the Cowboys are going to Tank for Lawerence and get rid of Dak, then they better be sure that Trevor Lawerence is going to be better than Dak. You don't get rid of Dak unless you are 100% sure that his replacement will be better than him.

On the other hand if they let Dak go and trade the farm for Lawerence, who ends up being a bust or not what he is hyped up to be, then none of the Cowboys fans who wanted this move to happen should be angry at the front office and Jerry for doing what they requested. Especially if Dak were to find success somewhere else.

He's a much better talent than Dak.

But you still never know until you see them on the field.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
That CAP space isn't going to help out the team much if Lawerence is a bust or doesn't end up as he is hyped up to be, which has happened before with top QB top picks. The Cowboys front office still better be sure that Lawerence is better than or at least good enough to make the Cowboys consistent playoff contenders. It's a risky move especially if the Cowboys plan to trade up to get him.

Either it could be the right move and Lawerence works out to make the Cowboys playoffs consistent contenders or he won't and the Cowboys will be right back to having to eventually look for another QB or hope that they can land a QB who has been playing as good as Dak has been. Knowing Cowboys fans, they'll be upset at the front office, even though the front office did what many Cowboys fans wanted them to do.

And if Lawerence is what he is hyped up to be then the Cowboys would have to pay him eventually, maybe even more money than Dak with how contracts keep going up. Does the same logic of paying Dak apply to paying Lawerence in that a team can't keep good players around if they have to pay the QB a big contract? What happens if the Cowboys don't win a Superbowl while Lawerence is still on a cheap contract?

Still better be sure that tanking for Lawerence is the correct move for the Cowboys future.

Such a subjective post. Just take that one highlighted sentence as an example. There's NO WAY of being able to "be sure" on Lawrence, just as much as they cant be sure on Dak being a consistent playoff contender, what is he 50%?

There's a valid concern that with Dak we havent looked like getting to a NFCC game .....and the team around him isnt improving. Yes we can improve through the draft, but that will take years eg Diggs.

I expect a decent FA year as teams cut players to get under the CAP, something we wont be able to take advantage of IF WE SIGN TO DAK TO A 3 YEAR DEAL.

I'm not advocating tanking for Lawrence as we wont get the first pick.
Should we take a QB with first pick - yes if Dak hasnt signed
If Dak sticks to wanting 3 years should we sign him - no
If Dak is ok to 5 years (giving us flexibility) should we sign him - hell yes

What we cant do is be blinkered into just carrying on without exploring the options rather than denying the overall issue with the team....that's team not Dak.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Such a subjective post. Just take that one highlighted sentence as an example. There's NO WAY of being able to "be sure" on Lawrence, just as much as they cant be sure on Dak being a consistent playoff contender, what is he 50%?

There's a valid concern that with Dak we havent looked like getting to a NFCC game .....and the team around him isnt improving. Yes we can improve through the draft, but that will take years eg Diggs.

I expect a decent FA year as teams cut players to get under the CAP, something we wont be able to take advantage of IF WE SIGN TO DAK TO A 3 YEAR DEAL.

What we cant do is be blinkered into just carrying on without exploring the options rather than denying the overall issue with the team....that's team not Dak.

I would do whatever it takes to get Lawrence.

If Lawrence refuses to sign and Dallas is picking at 2 I think the Jets can be talked out of the pick.

I would give them just about whatever they wanted. That includes a swap of 1's and CeeDee Lamb.

The Jets got the Chargers, Patriots, and Dolphins coming up. I hope they can get a W in there somewhere.

I wish we played them because I feel like we are worse.

We need the JAgs to get a W too.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score

Getting Lawerence would be worth it if he can get this team to the NFC Championship game or Superbowl. If the Cowboys still can't get there with Lawerence then it's obviously a front office issue and makes me wonder whether or not the Cowboys would ever be able to succeed with Joneses owning this team. If this team keeps getting talented QB's and fails to get to the Superbowl then the problems goes beyond the QB position.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
That’s my thought. And whoever is at the top is taking Trevor. Well get a top 5 defensive player at least. Reminds me of years back w niners taking bosa

ATM that may be Micah Parsons LB who's good against the run.....we need to improve in run defense but appears similar to LVE, there's no run defending DT's predicted in top 10/15.

Would we consider trading down?

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I would do whatever it takes to get Lawrence.

If Lawrence refuses to sign and Dallas is picking at 2 I think the Jets can be talked out of the pick.

I would give them just about whatever they wanted. That includes a swap of 1's and CeeDee Lamb.

The Jets got the Chargers, Patriots, and Dolphins coming up. I hope they can get a W in there somewhere.

I wish we played them because I feel like we are worse.

We need the JAgs to get a W too.

That's a brave strategy (and not really consistent with JJ's brash conservatism).

I suppose the positives it would give us $40m to shore up the O-Line depth and defense (as I say i assume there may be a number of interesting players cut this year).
I assume it would also mean we'd non-exclusive tag Dak and him and Lawrence we can field offer for either.
Unfortunately, Jets are already saying they want a first round for Darnold so the trade for Lawrence's pick could make the Walker trade seem a rational move.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
That's a brave strategy (and not really consistent with JJ's brash conservatism).

I suppose the positives it would give us $40m to shore up the O-Line depth and defense (as I say i assume there may be a number of interesting players cut this year).
I assume it would also mean we'd non-exclusive tag Dak and him and Lawrence we can field offer for either.
Unfortunately, Jets are already saying they want a first round for Darnold so the trade for Lawrence's pick could make the Walker trade seem a rational move.

I mean.. If we sign Dak it limits us. We have a team that is already underachieving.

I think Dak gets us back immediately into the 8-8 Wildcard 1 and done hunt but not a championship team.

But you're right.. Jerry has become so conservative and it shows up in our results.

I'd much prefer spending the next 2 years being bad then fighting to maintain mediocrity.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Getting Lawerence would be worth it if he can get this team to the NFC Championship game or Superbowl. If the Cowboys still can't get there with Lawerence then it's obviously a front office issue and makes me wonder whether or not the Cowboys would ever be able to succeed with Joneses owning this team. If this team keeps getting talented QB's and fails to get to the Superbowl then the problems goes beyond the QB position.

But the Jones are the Jones.... their biggest failing is that the only thing they see to improve the team is to throw money at it via overpaid contracts and covering it by extending other bad contracts.

This year, through the injuries and possible top5 draft pick, does give an opportunity to break the circle of bad contracts by signing a potential blue chip QB (to play in an already very good offense. Im not saying its right, however, giving Dak a 3 year deal is potentially disastrous for the team as it will mean further extending bad contracts (Jaylon, Lawrence, Zeke, Cooper) to already injured players (Collins/T Smith) just to get CAP money to fill in holes with scrubs.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I mean.. If we sign Dak it limits us. We have a team that is already underachieving.

I think Dak gets us back immediately into the 8-8 Wildcard 1 and done hunt but not a championship team.

But you're right.. Jerry has become so conservative and it shows up in our results.

I'd much prefer spending the next 2 years being bad then fighting to maintain mediocrity.

There are some interesting decisions, I like Dak to a 5 year contract because it helps with financial flexibility by structuring money away from the CAP strapped 2021/22 years and it gives us good high picks to start addressing the woeful defense (other than against Eagles).....it also would mean we wont continually damage the future by restructuring those bad contracts.

If Dak insists on 3 years i'd definitely be shouting to draft a QB.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
There are some interesting decisions, I like Dak to a 5 year contract because it helps with financial flexibility by structuring money away from the CAP strapped 2021/22 years and it gives us good high picks to start addressing the woeful defense (other than against Eagles).....it also would mean we wont continually damage the future by restructuring those bad contracts.

If Dak insists on 3 years i'd definitely be shouting to draft a QB.

My question with the Cowboys is... If you have so much conviction with him as your QB then why didn't you sign him a long time ago?

Signing him to a huge contract now is a MASSIVE failure when you could've done it for Wentz or Goff prices.

If they sign him to a massive contract after dragging their feet on the matter and after Dak has snapped his ankle with the cap going down then it is a huge egg on their face.

There is a reason they didn't do the deal. Someone in that building doesn't believe he is worth the money and that is why they keep passing on doing a deal.

So it's real interesting to see if they cave this offseason.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
ATM that may be Micah Parsons LB who's good against the run.....we need to improve in run defense but appears similar to LVE, there's no run defending DT's predicted in top 10/15.

Would we consider trading down?
If it’s a haul we can get I don’t see how we don’t listen

exciter

Reaction score
Dak’s gonna cost a hell of a lot more then Lawrence if by some weird scenario we do land the 1st pick. Lawrence is a no brainer if we get the 1st pick and I’m a Dak fan. A big one.

Wont have to worry about that tho bc MAX the Jets win 1 game. MAX.
Lol! So Lawrence isn’t going to want to get paid? So after developing a QB for 4 or 5 years we’re supposed to draft another one when their rookie contract runs out? Dak well be signed long before the draft leaving them thenn B luxury of drafting players around this teams unquestioned leader and talent!

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
My question with the Cowboys is... If you have so much conviction with him as your QB then why didn't you sign him a long time ago?

Signing him to a huge contract now is a MASSIVE failure when you could've done it for Wentz or Goff prices.

If they sign him to a massive contract after dragging their feet on the matter and after Dak has snapped his ankle with the cap going down then it is a huge egg on their face.

There is a reason they didn't do the deal. Someone in that building doesn't believe he is worth the money and that is why they keep passing on doing a deal.

So it's real interesting to see if they cave this offseason.

The differences between Dak and Goff/Wentz situations in 2019 were:

1) Goff had just got his team to the SB and QBR ranked 5th and 10th (2017 and 2018)
Wentz, QBR ranked 1st in QBR 2017 and 12th in 2018 when he had a number of injuries. (plus team was SB champions)
Dak - having his worst season in 2018 (ranked 18th in QBR) effected his negotiating position. His QBR 4th to 18th must of been a concern.

2) In 2018, we relied on the running game, Zeke had most yards. So in 2019 contract negotiations Zeke leverages his position by taking the money....probably leaving Dak to be low balled, which he wouldnt take.

I assume the 'handshake' improved deal was possibly made at that time....better than we could of paid in 2019. Unfortunately, Dak's much improved stats in 2019 means France pushes to renege on the 'handshake' .

Supposition, but a distinct possibility

L

starfrombirth

Reaction score
Even better news, we already have a franchise QB in his 20s still and this don’t need one ourselves!
We actually DON'T have him. His franchise tender expires after this year and will be even more expensive to sign him next year when we don't know how his ankle will hold up. One thing is for sure. Trevor Lawrence won't cost 35-40 million per year with 120 mill guaranteed. But hey... keep thinking Dak is the savior.

starfrombirth

Reaction score
The Jets will dump Darnold. Plus, if any team that doesn't need a franchise QB is in position to draft Lawrence, they will trade the pick for a bounty of picks. Nobody is letting Trevor slide past them.
True...just trying to stay positive :D

exciter

Reaction score
We actually DON'T have him. His franchise tender expires after this year and will be even more expensive to sign him next year when we don't know how his ankle will hold up. One thing is for sure. Trevor Lawrence won't cost 35-40 million per year with 120 mill guaranteed. But hey... keep thinking Dak is the savior.
Lol! They’ve already restructured several contracts in the unlikely event they are not able to get a contract worked out. His ankle isn’t an issue and everyone is expecting him to be fully ready by may (lol it’s a broken ankle sheesh). Dak is going to be the QB of this team for the next 8 to 10 years. There’s no amount of delusions of multi colored unicorns spreading fairy dust that is going to change that simple truth!

exciter

Reaction score
who can't beat a winning team

yea
Lol, and he can’t throw more than 10 yards and all his yards come in garbage time. Just more ridiculousness to meet a silly narrative in desperate attempt to deny reality!

starfrombirth

Reaction score
Lol! They’ve already restructured several contracts in the unlikely event they are not able to get a contract worked out. His ankle isn’t an issue and everyone is expecting him to be fully ready by may (lol it’s a broken ankle sheesh). Dak is going to be the QB of this team for the next 8 to 10 years. There’s no amount of delusions of multi colored unicorns spreading fairy dust that is going to change that simple truth!
That's the problem... they are willing to break the bank and spend all that money on a good (not great) qb that has shown he can't win with the defense that we currently have. We need that money that he wants to invest in MULTIPLE pieces for the defense.