Trey Lance and Cooper Rush are competing for a roster spot?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I have been saying this.......Jerry was clear, that Lance would compete with Rush for a backup position behind Dak.
  • No way Rush stays on the team if he loses the backup job to Lance
  • If Lance can't beat Rush after a year, is he still worth a roster spot?
  • We know Rush can win games
  • The competition is whether Lance can be a future NFL starter vs a career backup.
In other words, Lance has little or no value to us if he doesn't show enough as a potential starter.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
There's no question but what the competition between Lance and whomever the front office decides to have him compete with, will be of interest.

Whether it's Cooper Rush or even Dak Prescott, himself, that competition should be one that has every member of this website anxious to notice.

Last edited:

cristglo

Reaction score
We pretty much know what we have in Cooper we just don't know what we have in Trey. Trey will have to come out and show a few things to be a backup. I still feel it was a dumb move on Jerry's part to trade away our 4th but it is what it is.
I personally hope Trey comes out and lights it up during pre-season to start all the QB controversy talk and this board will blow up with who they think should start. :)

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I have been saying this.......Jerry was clear, that Lance would compete with Rush for a backup position behind Dak.
  • The competition is whether Lance can be a future NFL starter vs a career backup.
In other words, Lance has little or no value to us if he doesn't show enough as a potential starter.

I am rooting for Lance to earn the qb2 spot. We know what Rush is. A serviceable journeyman qb, period. But if Trey cannot beat him out this preseason, there would be no reason to resign him.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Something tells me that Jerry and Stephen should do all they can to promote the upcoming competition for their team's backup QB spot. :huh:
If they might actually relish the idea of establishing a newfound fascination for the Cowboys team of the future, this setup is ideal for that. :flagwave:
There is, by all indications, a combination of curiosity and fascination with this team's members, over who should save this team's future!! :grin:

Last edited:

CWR

Reaction score

I think Lance can lose the competition and still remain on the roster provided he shows improvement and is making progress.

The other factor you must take into consideration is Jerry's unwillingness to accept a mistake. He won't likely give up easily since this is yet another move to make him look like the smartest guy in the room.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Trey will make the 53. Rush will be released, and will sign back on the PS. They did this before to make roster moves to protect another player.
Then activated for the emergency QB for his 3 times, before coming back on the 53 man roster for the season once other things happen. Such as putting a player on short term IR.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I am rooting for Lance to earn the qb2 spot. We know what Rush is. A serviceable journeyman qb, period. But if Trey cannot beat him out this preseason, there would be no reason to resign him.
But I mean should Lance be better than Rush right now? If he wasn’t last season what changed now?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I think Lance can lose the competition and still remain on the roster provided he shows improvement and is making progress.

The other factor you must take into consideration is Jerry's unwillingness to accept a mistake. He won't likely give up easily since this is yet another move to make him look like the smartest guy in the room.
Yeah they keep using kids gloves when handling Lance. I don’t think there’s no way he’s off this team. I just hope he at least can get blow out run this year.

baltcowboy

Reaction score

Lance gets a guaranteed 5 million so I doubt this rumor is true.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score

The Cowboys paid Dak $5 million in March, an indication they were not ready to jettison him. Trey Lance is going to have show something positive right away as his contract call for him to be paid $4.5 million if he’s with the team on the 5th day of training camp. It’s not staggering money in NFL player compensation terms, but Jerry Jones is not inclined to pay millions to buy time. Prescott, Rush and Lance are all free agents less than 7 months after training camp. At some point decisions should be made. It may get to a point where all three will be looking forward to getting away from the Cowboys.

SinceDayOne

Reaction score
Three of the "star" players are wanting extensions ASAP and making noise about it. The HC is tired of the owner/GM interfering too much and making noise about it. The starting day roster is loaded with question marks. And to top it off we have a QB2 controversy. That is right!!! A full fledge qb2 controversy. Welcome to Cowboy world...

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Carry just two QBs on the roster out of camp or just two as active players on game day as they did yesterday?