Trey Lance and Cooper Rush are competing for a roster spot?

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
I highly doubt there is a competition for QB2 on this team. QB2 is Lance. Lance would have to be dog awful in PS to change that. If Lance shows anything positive in Camp and PS, then Rush is gone, even if Rush shows more during the same time. Jerry didn't give a 4th to cut bait the next year. Lance will be on this team unless he is pitiful during camp and PS.

Motorola

Reaction score
But I mean should Lance be better than Rush right now? If he wasn’t last season what changed now?
Lance was traded for during the last week/weekend of the preseason (August 25th, 2023) = about 2 weeks before the regular season opener v. Giants.
No way was he going to be the No. 2 QB this past season.
That's why the Cowboys put him through that QB "tutelage program" overseen by the QB coach.
It was all about getting him versed in the new Cowboys offense (exit
Kellen Moore, enter Mike Moore as the OC).
That - plus the offseason work - was to prepare Lance to prove he can be the future Cowboys QB after Prescott.
And never forget - the trade was a spur-of-the-moment decision by the GM when he was contacted by the SF FO\HC who were shopping Lance around the league.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I highly doubt there is a competition for QB2 on this team. QB2 is Lance. Lance would have to be dog awful in PS to change that. If Lance shows anything positive in Camp and PS, then Rush is gone, even if Rush shows more during the same time. Jerry didn't give a 4th to cut bait the next year. Lance will be on this team unless he is pitiful during camp and PS.
I would agree. The competition for QB2 is Trey Lance vs Trey Lance

Adreme

Reaction score
Can’t everyone be nice to each other on a holiday?

As for Lance I think he is on the roster if it’s even close because someone might pick him up whereas they know no one will pick up Rush so they can put him on PS without fear.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Lance was traded for during the last week/weekend of the preseason (August 25th, 2023) = about 2 weeks before the regular season opener v. Giants.
No way was he going to be the No. 2 QB this past season.
That's why the Cowboys put him through that QB "tutelage program" overseen by the QB coach.
It was all about getting him versed in the new Cowboys offense (exit
Kellen Moore, enter Mike Moore as the OC).
That - plus the offseason work - was to prepare Lance to prove he can be the future Cowboys QB after Prescott.
And never forget - the trade was a spur-of-the-moment decision by the GM when he was contacted by the SF FO\HC who were shopping Lance around the league.
Josh Dobbs got traded for and ended up starting a few days later

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Because Cousins was injured, and they had no other QB's. And Dobbs has been around and had experience. This is completely different.
Oh I know it’s different. My original question is if he wasn’t better than Rush last year why would he be now? I don’t think much of Rush but he’s a formidable qb. He’s shown he can run a offense at the very least.

Him not being good enough to backup Dak last year is just that. He wasn’t good enough. No point in making excuses for it. His true development will come with on field play not practice.

Motorola

Reaction score
I would agree. The competition for QB2 is Trey Lance vs Trey Lance
I wouldn't necessarily conclude Rush is off the Cowboys' roster if Lance's play elevates him to QB2.
With the league's change to the emergency QB rule = allowing the 3rd-string QB to be elevated from the practice squad to playing with in-game injuries to QB1 & QB2...it would be prudent for the Cowboys to keep Rush in that role.
He’s been with the Cowboys since 2017 save for a 6-month stint with NYG ( May-October 2020) in the backup position.
And after proving himself to be a capable stand-in, Rush earning $2.25 million in the QB3 role should be a no-brainer for him ----AND the Dallas.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oh I know it’s different. My original question is if he wasn’t better than Rush last year why would he be now? I don’t think much of Rush but he’s a formidable qb. He’s shown he can run a offense at the very least.

Him not being good enough to backup Dak last year is just that. He wasn’t good enough. No point in making excuses for it. His true development will come with on field play not practice.
What makes you think "The Plan" was to supplant Rush in the very 1st year?

Because YOU say so? Show me the quotes that said THE COWBOYS wanted Lance to beat out Rush, and Lance failed.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
So..no other QB works on their mechanics? EVER?

Wait...Rush started in 2023? Dang...I missed that!
I mean they started Rush over Lance on the depth chart….

And yeah qbs work on their mechanics. Working on your mechanics isn’t a slight. Changing throwing motion insinuates that there were issues there. And before you ask….no. I have no quote or article just an assumption.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
No one should fool themselves. Lance is here to be #1. He’s the highest draft-rated QB that the team has taken since Aikman: the Cowboys rated him a high 2nd rounder in the 2001 draft. Whether that happens remains to be seen, but Lance is not ultimately competing with Rush. He’s competing with himself to see if he can be better than Dak. That is his goal and what Jerry traded for him to be.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jesus…that’s not what I asked…..

I said if he wasn’t better than Rush last year why would he be now?? There…all good?
That's an even dumber question.

Of course a younger QB with allegedly higher ceiling/ more athletic...could EASILY become better than a "noodle-arm" backup no other team wanted. With a year of quality training and coaching.