Trey Lance can develop into the next Jordan Love

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We're also guaranteed that you will show up like a pimple on the nose on Prom Night every chance you get to diss on Dak.
:muttley:
Is that what happened to you on Prom Night?
Oh man you have my sympathies!

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Is that what happened to you on Prom Night?
Oh man you have my sympathies!
Actually, a little you almost happened....thank God it didn't.

Actually, a little you, goes without saying.
Let me know when the plane gets here.

shabazz

Reaction score
1. Start Lance every game
2. Don't pay 65 million a year to #4

Either you get the next franchise Qb or you get top 8 draft position to pick the next franchise Qb.

We win Either way and Jerry keeps raking in greenback.

It's pragmatic and completely logical when you also realize that this roster isn't "all in" for the 2024 season

DuncanIso

Reaction score

Either you get the next franchise Qb or you get top 8 draft position to pick the next franchise Qb.

It's pragmatic and completely logical when you also realize that this roster isn't "all in" for the 2024 season
They also need cap $$$ for CDs pay raise.

Rush might be cut soon.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
They have similar physical/athletic traits and arm talent. Lance really just needs reps. I'm not sure if winning 9 - 10 games and losing in the wild card round with Dak is the way to go.
year 4, been in the film room for 4 years, coached by some of the best QB coacehs and he still needs reps to read a defense.

difference is Love was on the bench similarly and then he took a team to playoffs.

and if the bar for Lance is Love, then what different results are you expecting? Love beat Dak, whom you hate and all think under performs in playoffs. was it really then Love? and then he lost in the next game.

you all kick, scream, complain that Dak is not good enough. he is not elite. blah blah blah and want to replace him with a QB that would at best just be good, and then continue to lose in playoffs.

I don't get?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I hope we can keep him around for a couple years to develop him and then assess. Raiders game was encouraging after the stinker he dropped against the Rams. But let’s keep it in perspective. He needs work and reps. He needs to work on his accuracy and reading defenses on this level. I’ve said it several times I hope we can keep him after this year at a reduced salary to develop him. I hope Lance sees his best chance at starting in this league is to play backup and learn. Even if/when Dak signs an extension the most likely extension will be for 4 years. If Trey takes a backup role and contract with us and keeps developing this could be a good opportunity for him. Realistically Dak playing 4 more years and retiring or going somewhere else is probable considering that will be his 12th season in the league. I just hope Lance plays the long game and patience game with his career. I think he can be the heir apparent to Dak…..in 3 to 4 years.
if this guy was a 6th round pick, 99.99% of people on this board would have said move on. in fact we have in the past, like Mike White or DeNucci and others like him. but he was over drafted by another team, now people want to keep him around for 6 years and develop him. SIX YEARS. and even then its just a gamble.

and raiders game was OK. lets not forget their were not a good defense last year.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

top 8 draft pick sounds really good. I think that has a 99% chance. I don't see this kid as a playoff calibur type QB.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Lance was better last night than against the Raiders. I think it'd be wise to sign him to a short term deal to develop a bit more. He still had some accuracy issues last night, but he played better.

NoFurtherQuestions

Reaction score

Jerry doesn't want to tank. He doesn't want the Cowboys to be that irrelevant.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Trey Lance can develop into the next Jordan Love
That might happen someday. But it's down the road. Lance still has a long ways to go. He isn't ready to start and throwing him out there might do more harm than good.

khiladi

Reaction score

Yep, no reason to sign anybody long-term, with all these 1 year contracts. Say MM also blows, Jerry isn’t going to extend McCarthy. Let the new HC come in and define the direction along with Jerry.

In this way, the optimism of a brand new future will sell seats.

ghst187

Reaction score
Lance isn’t an NFL QB and never will be a capable starter. He also needs a new contract. He may be headed to Canada or Europe by the time it’s all said and done.

Flamma

Reaction score
I’m not sure I agree that he’s years away, AC. If we look at last week to this week he was much better. I think he just needs snaps to figure it out. He’s got the talent and athletic ability. Does he get an extension? I’m not sure. Worst case he’s received good coaching and he’s had a couple of QBs ahead of him who have helped mentor him.
No one is sure. But if they sign Dak, what do they pay Lance to sit as backup for the next 3 years? You know he's not going to want to do that. He'll be happy with any starting job he can get. Probably even take less money for one.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
year 4, been in the film room for 4 years, coached by some of the best QB coacehs and he still needs reps to read a defense.

difference is Love was on the bench similarly and then he took a team to playoffs.

and if the bar for Lance is Love, then what different results are you expecting? Love beat Dak, whom you hate and all think under performs in playoffs. was it really then Love? and then he lost in the next game.

you all kick, scream, complain that Dak is not good enough. he is not elite. blah blah blah and want to replace him with a QB that would at best just be good, and then continue to lose in playoffs.

I don't get?
Let me make it simple for you, we don't want a 60 million dollar a year bi-polar QB for 4 more years.

Ww can use that money for a DT and RB and more consistent QB play.

This is Our Year

Ohama, Kill, 52 is the Mike
Reaction score
BEST case scenario he can develop into something like that BUT… the catch is it’s have to be after Dak’s NEXT contract unfortunately. He’s still too raw. The talent might be there, but they need to sign him to like a 3 year deal and continue the development process with him. Then potentially you can turn the reins over to him.

But right now he’d fail. Just like Jordan Love would have btw, if they didn’t slowly bring him along.

This is Our Year

Ohama, Kill, 52 is the Mike
Reaction score
No one is sure. But if they sign Dak, what do they pay Lance to sit as backup for the next 3 years? You know he's not going to want to do that. He'll be happy with any starting job he can get. Probably even take less money for one.

Unfortunately, he probably won’t take a deal like that Lance, but for him to have a chance to be the future QB here. It’s probably gonna have to be something like that. 3 year deal. Back up Dak, then take over.