Trey Lance can develop into the next Jordan Love

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I’m not sure I agree that he’s years away, AC. If we look at last week to this week he was much better. I think he just needs snaps to figure it out. He’s got the talent and athletic ability. Does he get an extension? I’m not sure. Worst case he’s received good coaching and he’s had a couple of QBs ahead of him who have helped mentor him.
It’s worth noting that we saw last night is the Lance the 49ers saw. Lance has had some big moments. It just hasn’t clicked for him like it does for good quarterbacks. What Lance did last night is what he’s already shown. What we are trying to figure out is that his ceiling or is it higher.

Flamma

Reaction score
BEST case scenario he can develop into something like that BUT… the catch is it’s have to be after Dak’s NEXT contract unfortunately. He’s still too raw. The talent might be there, but they need to sign him to like a 3 year deal and continue the development process with him. Then potentially you can turn the reins over to him.

But right now he’d fail. Just like Jordan Love would have btw, if they didn’t slowly bring him along.
I agree. Just not sure it will be here. Maybe if they gave him small 1 year at a time contracts, it could happen. Because then he has a shot at starting for some team in any year going forward.

His biggest issue right now is processing quickly. If you notice, a lot of times he looks to buy time. That's what Romo did back in 2006 and 2007. Only Romo was more accurate. People were praising Romo. Romo didn't break the pocket because he was good, he was breaking the pocket because things were moving too fast. He needed that extra time.

aikemirv

Reaction score
He reminds me a bit of how Dak looked in his rookie year. If we had that Zeke and that Oline you could run the season with him and develope him.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Let me make it simple for you, we don't want a 60 million dollar a year bi-polar QB for 4 more years.

Ww can use that money for a DT and RB and more consistent QB play.
OMG, you all are so obsessed. this was about Lance....and yet Dak is on your mind 365x24x7x60x60...all anyone has to mention is QB and viola it turns into a Dak argument in your world.

I say sky is blue, you say Dallas wears blue, Dallas, D dak, I say there is stars at night, and you say Dallas has stars, Dallas, D, Dak....its not healthy obsession.

and btw, you are OK, with crappy QB play at cheaper price because you work in Cowboys Finance dept and saving money is the key?

Dak is got to go. unless Lance is here to get us a top 5 pick, he needs to go. he is not the future, because year 4 and he still is trying to figure it out. what's with the Lance Love?

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
He’s not ready. Didn’t look good early on against the Raiders starters. Accuracy still an issue but he certainly showed improvement.
At least some of you guys are opening minds...no clue what he will be but encouraging for parts of the game I was able to watch

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
OMG, you all are so obsessed. this was about Lance....and yet Dak is on your mind 365x24x7x60x60...all anyone has to mention is QB and viola it turns into a Dak argument in your world.

I say sky is blue, you say Dallas wears blue, Dallas, D dak, I say there is stars at night, and you say Dallas has stars, Dallas, D, Dak....its not healthy obsession.

and btw, you are OK, with crappy QB play at cheaper price because you work in Cowboys Finance dept and saving money is the key?

Dak is got to go. unless Lance is here to get us a top 5 pick, he needs to go. he is not the future, because year 4 and he still is trying to figure it out. what's with the Lance Love?
Lol...I was replying to your comment about slak. Talk about in your head.w

Lance may be his replacement, or not. The good news is that Lance is improving.

Why are so afraid of Lance improving?

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
I agree. Just not sure it will be here. Maybe if they gave him small 1 year at a time contracts, it could happen. Because then he has a shot at starting for some team in any year going forward.

His biggest issue right now is processing quickly. If you notice, a lot of times he looks to buy time. That's what Romo did back in 2006 and 2007. Only Romo was more accurate. People were praising Romo. Romo didn't break the pocket because he was good, he was breaking the pocket because things were moving too fast. He needed that extra time.
Romo was seeing it before then. He started seeing it practice in year two. This is straight from the horse’s mouth because he related in an interview that he told Parcells that “he was seeing it”, meaning he was understanding the plays and when to get rid of the ball on time. Romo became a starting QB only during the season in 2006 because Parcells was notorious for playing veterans even later than they should’ve been (and Bledsoe was playing awful) until he was sure a player was ready, even more so for a QB. But Romo also was an excellent college QB at a small school like Lance but he played a lot more and broke a lot of the school records.

GoldenR

Reaction score
1. Start Lance every game
2. Don't pay 65 million a year to #4

Either you get the next franchise Qb or you get top 8 draft position to pick the next franchise Qb.

We win Either way and Jerry keeps raking in greenback.

It's pragmatic and completely logical when you also realize that this roster isn't "all in" for the 2024 season
Well said, thinking the same thing last night watching the game. Dak is like a drug to these clowns who truly want another 4 years of knowing he can't get us past the 1st round. I just don't understand the thinking after watching this for roughly 10 years. Would be real interesting to see Lance with the 1st team for a season and go from there.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
You won't even make it to the playoffs with this Lance. He's years away from developing into a playoff capable type of QB. Plus, his contract is up after this season. When Dak signs another new contract in another week or two, you believe Lance is going to want to stick around and sign a cheap low pay contract extension? I say he will try his luck elsewhere where a team is in need of a starter...even if inexperienced and unproven.

No he’s not years away that’s ridiculous.

If he doesn’t turn the ball over and uses his legs we can probably win 8 games on that alone.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Lance was better last night than against the Raiders. I think it'd be wise to sign him to a short term deal to develop a bit more. He still had some accuracy issues last night, but he played better.
Zero chance Lance signs a contract.

He has nothing to gain signing a deal right now.

The time for possibly getting a deal is over.

Flamma

Reaction score
Well said, thinking the same thing last night watching the game. Dak is like a drug to these clowns who truly want another 4 years of knowing he can't get us past the 1st round. I just don't understand the thinking after watching this for roughly 10 years. Would be real interesting to see Lance with the 1st team for a season and go from there.
I just don't get the fanatical support for a QB on any team. Yeah, I will always root for any player on the Cowboys. But I'm not going to go out of my way to defend them as if I'm a player fan. I'm a team fan. But Dak is a lot better than some of these trash QBs around the league. The only thing he has to get over is him panicking in big moments. If he can do that, we have a good QB. It's a mental issue for him.

sbark

Reaction score
He took a step fwd vrs last week, now he needs to stack positive practices, snaps, games, film study..

JBS

Reaction score
The Cowboys did Lance no favors sitting him al of last year and giving him 0 opportunities to play. He needs playing time to go along with coaching.
That’s cool. Doesn’t change his arm talent

GoldenR

Reaction score
I just don't get the fanatical support for a QB on any team. Yeah, I will always root for any player on the Cowboys. But I'm not going to go out of my way to defend them as if I'm a player fan. I'm a team fan. But Dak is a lot better than some of these trash QBs around the league. The only thing he has to get over is him panicking in big moments. If he can do that, we have a good QB. It's a mental issue for him.
Agree about Dak being better than some QB's in the league, but 55-60 mill for another 4 years, NO WAY. 60 mil for Dak, 35 mill for Lamb, Micah highest paid defensive in league at maybe 40 mill = 135mill...................Who are you not gonna pay? This is what is on Jerry's mind.

BlueStar22

Reaction score
They have similar physical/athletic traits and arm talent. Lance really just needs reps. I'm not sure if winning 9 - 10 games and losing in the wild card round with Dak is the way to go.
I can't believe this fanbase complains about winning 10 games and even making it to the playoffs. Wins/Losses are a team state unless Dak is your QB.

Staubacher

Reaction score
No he’s not years away that’s ridiculous.

If he doesn’t turn the ball over and uses his legs we can probably win 8 games on that alone.
Stans always conveniently forget Cooper Rush is 5 and 1 replacing Dak. Doesn't matter how they won the games the team doesn't fall apart without Dak Prescott