Trey Lance can develop into the next Jordan Love

Flamma

Reaction score
Agree about Dak being better than some QB's in the league, but 55-60 mill for another 4 years, NO WAY. 60 mil for Dak, 35 mill for Lamb, Micah highest paid defensive in league at maybe 40 mill = 135mill...................Who are you not gonna pay? This is what is on Jerry's mind.
Of course. I don't think Dallas needs to pay 60M a year to be a first round out. We can do that with a lot of quarterbacks. Quarterbacks not good as Dak.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Trey Lance did look much better last night than vs the rams. I like what I saw from him. He’s athletic, has a good arm and has good mobility.

But we always need to keep in mind, pre-season game glory can be fools gold. Even though he did most of his time against some of the raiders defensive starters, the environment and conditions in a PS game are completely different than in a regular season game.

The opponents in PS do zero game planning and usually only use about 25% of their defensive playbook. Which means Lance saw way less defensive schemes than he would see in a regular season game. I did not watch the whole game but usually in ps games, defenses almost never blitz or use unusual coverages. Which again can make a QB have way less to think about than in a real game.

Still, Trey Lance did show some reasons why we could have some optimism for his future here.

shabazz

Reaction score
Of course. I don't think Dallas needs to pay 60M a year to be a first round out.
The last remaining question is ; " is it the fault of the Qb or the HC?"

......or both?

2025 answers who gets the blame

shabazz

Reaction score
Trey Lance did look much better last night than vs the rams. I like what I saw from him. He’s athletic, has a good arm and has good mobility.

But we always need to keep in mind, pre-season game glory can be fools gold. Even though he did most of his time against some of the raiders defensive starters, the environment and conditions in a PS game are completely different than in a regular season game.

The opponents in PS do zero game planning and usually only use about 25% of their defensive playbook. Which means Lance saw way less defensive schemes than he would see in a regular season game. I did not watch the whole game but usually in ps games, defenses almost never blitz or use unusual coverages. Which again can make a QB have way less to think about than in a real game.

Still, Trey Lance did show some reasons why we could have some optimism for his future here.
How else can he be evaluated? Just a rhetorical question, really.

Unless he starts regular season games, questions will remain

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How else can he be evaluated? Just a rhetorical question, really.

Unless he starts regular season games, questions will remain
Right, he’s doing all he can do. My assessment earlier is not a knock on him. It’s just some perspective that preseason game conditions are completely different than real games. That’s not a knock on Lance. It’s just a fact.

coult44

Reaction score
We really have one of the most embarrassing fanbases in sports
I agree, it’s even displayed on avatars sometimes. Some would even say that a grown man with a picture of a cartoon representing them on a message board, would be embarrassing. I know I’m digging, but cmon . Someone’s opinion doesn’t make the entire base embarrassing. There are more Cowboys fans than any fan of a team in the world, of course there will be someone who doesn’t agree with you.

shabazz

Reaction score
Right, he’s doing all he can do. My assessment earlier is not a knock on him. It’s just some perspective that preseason game conditions are completely different than real games. That’s not a knock on Lance. It’s just a fact.
See, I think that the 49ers have already vetted him in this respect and found it unworkable., albeit just playing in 8 games

I'm good with the risk, especially when my team hasn't drafted a Qb above 4th round since 2001, lol

I know you're not knocking him.........youre just laying out circumstances

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I was encouraged to see Lance's performance improve in the 2nd half of the game last night. He appeared to calm down and played with added confidence in the passes and runs that he made. If he continues to develop appreciably, we may even have a good backup to add at QB. The FO might even replace Rush with Lance if he manages to develop impressively enough. Of course, that remains to be seen. There's hope, though.

Last edited:

Flamma

Reaction score
The last remaining question is ; " is it the fault of the Qb or the HC?"

......or both?

2025 answers who gets the blame
Does it matter? If we can't, do we pay more towards that end, or less?

Staubacher

Reaction score
Of course. I don't think Dallas needs to pay 60M a year to be a first round out. We can do that with a lot of quarterbacks. Quarterbacks not good as Dak.
That's very simple logic that for emotional reasons people don't want to grasp

Flamma

Reaction score
Wrong but you Lance lovers are just as bad as the Dak lovers
I don't know that they are the same. Lance isn't asking for 60M. We already know our front office does nothing to support the team outside of the draft, so who cares who the QB is? If he's not elite, or a future hall of fame QB, who cares?

If Jerry really wanted to compete for a SB, he would have signed Dak early and opened up 20-30M in space. Then signed Lamb and opened up a bit more. Pick up the DT from Miami and sign either Barkley or Henry. That's how you compete. That's what he used to do. It's by no means a guarantee, but you compete.

The Cowboys no longer do this. So why pay a QB 60M a year? you're not winning anything.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
BEST case scenario he can develop into something like that BUT… the catch is it’s have to be after Dak’s NEXT contract unfortunately. He’s still too raw. The talent might be there, but they need to sign him to like a 3 year deal and continue the development process with him. Then potentially you can turn the reins over to him.

But right now he’d fail. Just like Jordan Love would have btw, if they didn’t slowly bring him along.
Trey isn’t a rookie.

He’s already been a starter in the NFL.

He is learning our system though.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
It’s worth noting that we saw last night is the Lance the 49ers saw. Lance has had some big moments. It just hasn’t clicked for him like it does for good quarterbacks. What Lance did last night is what he’s already shown. What we are trying to figure out is that his ceiling or is it higher.
He broke his leg.

DuncanIso

Reaction score

Agree.

Also, Cooper Rush could get cut.

And Dallas needs the cap.