Trey Lance can develop into the next Jordan Love

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Compared to Mike White I think the difference is night and day, simply in that they are completely different QBs. Mike White makes Drew Bledsoe look like a mobile QB. Hes a guy that I think has always had an NFL caliber arm, but his downfall has been his inability to move, even just within the pocket. Trey Lance clearly runs circles around White as an athlete. If Trey Lance can get on par with White in terms of arm talent then you probably have a pro bowl caliber QB. In a different era Mike White is probably an early draft pick.

To be honest I really don't remember a ton about Dinucci outside of his start in 2020 which was about as ugly as a start could get. He clearly had limited arm strength and didn't feel comfortable even being on the field. Taking a quick glance at his preseason stats the following year though he put up a 53 completion %, 5.3YPA, and 4 INTs in 66 attempts. 3 of those INTs are on just 15 attempts from intermediate range which without seeing the tape tells me that he either is confused by coverages, slow to make his throws, or doesn't have the arm strength to fit balls into windows downfield. Lance so far this preseason has 62 completion % 5.3YPA and 0 INTs. The numbers alone are obviously similar however Lance is clearly a dual threat with his legs, has done an excellent job of protecting the football, and while we have some accuracy issues we can't question the fastball.

To me Lance is at least on the right track. Not saying that he is ready to start against Cleveland in a few weeks, but I completely understand the optimism around the kid. He is clearly coachable, and in watching him you see the little things in his footwork and his head positioning that you want to see. To me the big thing is simply seeing him send the ball down field more. This preseason he is:

6-9 behind the LOS (1 drop)
25-38 on throws 0-9 air yards (5 drops)
8-10 on throws 10-19 air yards
1-5 on throws 20+ air yards

He looks extremely comfortable on those mid length throws, not so much on the deep balls, but needs to do more of both of them. Tough to be a starting NFL QB with 75% of your passing being under 10 yard throws unless you can be Brady level efficient. Last year Dak was around 66% of his passes on balls under 10 yards, but he is also one of the more efficient deep ball throwers in the league. It might be tough to trust the numbers on his deep balls with 2nd/3rd string receivers, but we still want to see the throws. The accuracy is still a work in progress but took a huge leap from game 1 to game 2. His numbers on play action were considerably better with the Cowboys actually keeping a balanced offense. IMO if Trey shows a little better in terms of accuracy and shows that he can be effective down field I don't see how he isn't a starting QB in this league.
Brady made White look like a 100M olympic sprinter. yet he was able to make throws, read a defense and go through his reads and be accurate. none of which applies to Lance. he can run circles? beause he is hesitant to make throws, can't read a defense thus he has to hold on to the ball so WR is 5 yards open and he has to scramble.

Lance is not on the right track. lance is way behind where he needs to be in year 4. Love who he is compared to was years ahead even prior to last year. Many QBs sat on the bench, then played and played well. they learned their craft. the fact that he needs another few years to just possibly, maybe be a just a good QB should tell you a lot.

and I find it funny that people are keeping yard and distance and make justification for the 3rd over all pick in year 4.

he tends to dump the ball. he had 4.7 YPA in first preseason game. he was 65 ypa in second game which would put him towards the bottom of the league.

his ceiling at best, at best is being another Dak, running around included...and you all complain about Dak.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Bold> That is a good point although I would also suggest neither White nor DeNucci have Trey Lance's scrambling/rushing ability. It is an asset that will be considered in Lance's favor, regardless of his eventual outcome with the team.
the rushing ability is the least important QB trait, ever. Jackson ran for a 1000 yards, he is 2-4 in playoffs.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
the rushing ability is the least important QB trait, ever. Jackson ran for a 1000 yards, he is 2-4 in playoffs.
I will not argue how important it is for a quarterback to run with the ball. The walls of that particular rabbit hole would turn to mud soon enough.

However, it is a common, modern-day component of teams' evaluation of today's quarterbacks. San Francisco considered it as a factor in their evaluation. It cannot be ruled out as a consideration by other teams as well--despite its importance in relation to Lance's overall ability.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Brady made White look like a 100M olympic sprinter. yet he was able to make throws, read a defense and go through his reads and be accurate. none of which applies to Lance. he can run circles? beause he is hesitant to make throws, can't read a defense thus he has to hold on to the ball so WR is 5 yards open and he has to scramble.
Very extreme take. Mike White has a great arm, but despite that he is a career backup. Athleticism and mobility are crucial for QBs in the modern game. Does Lance still have room to improve? Absolutely. What makes you think he cant read a defense though? Zero turnovers so far, and had an average time to throw of just 2.6 seconds against LV. It's just one game and comes with the small sample size alert, but in general I'm seeing a guy who understands defenses and basic coverages. The only true worry I have with Lance is I'm not sure he understands the offense nearly as well. Good video was posted here last week after the Rams game that broke down throw by throw that goes more in depth here. So far this preseason the guy has really only struggled when the defense has gotten pressure rushing 4 guys.

With a clean pocket:
30-47 with an average of 8 air yards per throw and an adjusted completion % of 74%
To compare Dak last season was a 72% completion %, 7.8 air yards and an adjusted completion % of 79%

Against the blitz:
13-24 with an average of 9 air yards and AC% of 71%
Dak was 69% with 8.2 air yards and AC% of 79%

When he is under pressure without a blitz his completion percentage falls under 60% and his air yards fall under 4 yards per throw. This is a concern, but isn't that abnormal for someone who simply doesn't have a ton of snaps under his belt.
Lance is not on the right track. lance is way behind where he needs to be in year 4. Love who he is compared to was years ahead even prior to last year. Many QBs sat on the bench, then played and played well. they learned their craft. the fact that he needs another few years to just possibly, maybe be a just a good QB should tell you a lot.
Pre 2024 numbers:

Jordan Love: 50-83 606 yards 3TD 3INT (26 yards rushing)
Trey Lance: 56-102 797 yards 5TD 3INT (235 yards rushing)

This was during Trey Lance's 21 and 22 years old seasons. Love was 23 & 24 years old with over 1,000 pass attempts in college. Lance had 318 attempts in college.

Unless you have some in depth tape break down of why Love was years ahead of Lance I'm just not seeing it in the data, although it is a small sample size for both QBs. Love was off the charts good in 2022 in limited time, but also only registered four throws under any sort of pressure.
and I find it funny that people are keeping yard and distance and make justification for the 3rd over all pick in year 4.

he tends to dump the ball. he had 4.7 YPA in first preseason game. he was 65 ypa in second game which would put him towards the bottom of the league.

his ceiling at best, at best is being another Dak, running around included...and you all complain about Dak.
I'm a big YPA guy, but 6.5 isn't horrible on a game to game basis. Dak last season had 7 games where he registered a YPA in the 6s or less.

For preseason or smaller sample sizes I would really look at depth of target in addition to YPA. Lance's receivers have a drop rate of 13% this preseason, compared to Dak at 6.6% last year which does bring that YPA down slightly. Lance is only hitting about 7 yards per throw compared to Dak at 8.4 last year. I completely agree that Lance needs to move the ball down field more and I hope to see that in the next game, but the numbers dont seem to indicate that Lance being mr dink and dunk is quite as bad as the narrative around here.

Personally I would have no issues if Lances ceiling was similar to Daks. Dak is a very good QB, and I really don't hate the guy at all. I'm not a fan of paying him $65M per year, but I'm really not a fan of paying most QBs that type of money. If Lance were to put up 90% of Daks numbers through the air combined with his ability to make plays with his legs sign me up for that for the next few years.

Proof

Reaction score
year 4, been in the film room for 4 years, coached by some of the best QB coacehs and he still needs reps to read a defense.

difference is Love was on the bench similarly and then he took a team to playoffs.

and if the bar for Lance is Love, then what different results are you expecting? Love beat Dak, whom you hate and all think under performs in playoffs. was it really then Love? and then he lost in the next game.

you all kick, scream, complain that Dak is not good enough. he is not elite. blah blah blah and want to replace him with a QB that would at best just be good, and then continue to lose in playoffs.

I don't get?
they want to try something different, and cheaper. dak is one of the better quarterbacks in the league. dak also routinely comes up short in big games. maybe another quarterback isn't as good overall, but steps up in big moments. and if not, it's the same result, so what's the real harm?

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I will not argue how important it is for a quarterback to run with the ball. The walls of that particular rabbit hole would turn to mud soon enough.

However, it is a common, modern-day component of teams' evaluation of today's quarterbacks. San Francisco considered it as a factor in their evaluation. It cannot be ruled out as a consideration by other teams as well--despite its importance in relation to Lance's overall ability.
Lance can move and throw from anywhere on the field.

Something Cooper can’t do.

Proof

Reaction score
Well said, thinking the same thing last night watching the game. Dak is like a drug to these clowns who truly want another 4 years of knowing he can't get us past the 1st round. I just don't understand the thinking after watching this for roughly 10 years. Would be real interesting to see Lance with the 1st team for a season and go from there.
'knowing' is the key. we don't know. we can assume, we can say likely/probably, but to me despite the evidence i think he's talented enough to get over the hump. and gives the team the best shot, currently.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
they want to try something different, and cheaper. dak is one of the better quarterbacks in the league. dak also routinely comes up short in big games. maybe another quarterback isn't as good overall, but steps up in big moments. and if not, it's the same result, so what's the real harm?
Yup.

Also, Dak isn’t elite.

Not even close.

(1) Pro Bowl since 2018.

And the playoff record….yikes.

That’s why we have Lance.

Proof

Reaction score
Stans always conveniently forget Cooper Rush is 5 and 1 replacing Dak. Doesn't matter how they won the games the team doesn't fall apart without Dak Prescott
of course it matters lol. he had a nice stretch, carried by the defense, then exposed. paltry throwing numbers, paltry scoring, unsustainable. but yes, it's a fun bit of trivia, or argument fodder for dullards.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
No man…we want that.

It opens up the offense.
primary and most important aspects of a QB, are being able to read defense pre-snap, and then post snap and be able to go through his options and be accurate with the throws.

if you rely on a RB to win, you have bigger offensive problems. its not a winning formula for post season which is something every complains about.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Either you get the next franchise Qb or you get top 8 draft position to pick the next franchise Qb.
Why do people constantly say this?

Have you actually paid attention to the quarterbacks who get drafted in the first round over the last 10, 15, 20 years?

"Just draft one" is such a silly disposition.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Let me make it simple for you, we don't want a 60 million dollar a year bi-polar QB for 4 more years.

Ww can use that money for a DT and RB and more consistent QB play.
Yes, let's build the Raiders!

shabazz

Reaction score
Does this mean Dolly Parton won't be able to sing the National Anthem for us?

Last edited:

shabazz

Reaction score

Have you actually paid attention to the quarterbacks who get drafted in the first round over the last 10, 15, 20 years?

It's no sillier than believing that one CANT be drafted or bought through Free Agency and that you have to be "terrified" to move on from a Qb with a 2-5 playoff record and demanding to be the highest paid player.

The Broncos and Vikings ditched their high cost Qbs and now have rookies to take over.

The status quo ain't working here

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
It's no sillier than believing that one CANT be drafted or bought through Free Agency and that you have to be "terrified" to move on from a Qb with a 2-5 playoff record and demanding to be the highest paid player.

The Broncos and Vikings ditched their high cost Qbs and now have rookies to take over.

The status quo ain't working here
Yes, it is demonstrably silly because it ignores the dozens of team who try to do that every year and fail over and over again. Its fine if you want to be bad. It's dumb if you want to win games.

The Broncos and Vikings signed those guys to stop the endless stream of bodies they had playing QB while they were trying to do exactly what you're proposing.

By your logic, the status quo doesn't work anywhere except for Kansas City. "Hasn't done it yet so can't do it" is stupid logic.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

You should try to have a potential starter already on your roster. From a Rodgers to a dak.
If ya wanna call it luck....fine. but if you don't have one you for sure aren't getting lucky.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
You should try to have a potential starter already on your roster. From a Rodgers to a dak.
If ya wanna call it luck....fine. but if you don't have one you for sure aren't getting lucky.
There's no such thing as a starting-calibre backup quarterback.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
Stick a pitchfork in him because he is way over done! This young man should have stayed in college and worked on his skills, because the ones that he is trying to use in today's NFL are lagging so far behind current and future college QBs that he's never going to catch up to them. The 9ers were smart to cut bait and run and they are a far better club for it today. Unfortunately, for the Cowboys, they're going to learn the hard way that cutting corners in this league hardly ever brings NFCCs or SB trophies.