Trey Lance can develop into the next Jordan Love

HungryLion

Reaction score
Lance improved but I still don’t find his performance anything to write home about.

I would still prefer they draft a guy. Particularly somebody with a lot more experience in college than Lance. Lance is still just soooo raw.

Retro88

Reaction score
Related to Dak?
With all due respect, all of it. No amount of Dak hate makes this team not a playoff team with him. We wouldn't be rolling with Lance/Rush if we moved on from Dak as Rush would be the starter. You can't even really move Dak and get a whole lot. Drafting a top QB next year requires a top 5-8 pick which we won't be bad enough to get no matter who is QB1 this season. If by some chance we were able to then drafting one means your moving past Lance and not a "healthy competition" bc if he shows promise then you do have to pay Lance this upcoming offseason. You're not getting a "King's Ransom" for the loser of that QB battle in any scenario.

The only realistic scenarios in regards to Lance's future in Dallas is he proves he can be a backup to Dak beyond this season or we have a repeat of 2016 and 2016 isn't really realistic bc you need a dak injury and a mighty struggle from Rush before Lance even sees the field.

CWR

Reaction score
Lance was better last night than against the Raiders. I think it'd be wise to sign him to a short term deal to develop a bit more. He still had some accuracy issues last night, but he played better.
That had to he the plan anyway, if there was a plan. Will he take a smaller, short term deal to develop?

Retro88

Reaction score
Just gonna be honest, anyone that really wants to move on from Dak should hope that Lance is terrible too. If you don't want to pay Dak his money I can't imagine youll be happy to pay Lance if he shows even Baker or Carr's amount of potential. That's 33-38 mil for those 2 btw.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
That had to he the plan anyway, if there was a plan. Will he take a smaller, short term deal to develop?

He will if he's smart. He's in a great opportunity to develop. If he goes somewhere to start, he's going to end up in the UFL. If he's smart, he will sign a 2-3 year deal and continue to develop. It'll pay off if he does it correctly.

Reactions: CWR

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With all due respect, all of it. No amount of Dak hate makes this team not a playoff team with him. We wouldn't be rolling with Lance/Rush if we moved on from Dak as Rush would be the starter. You can't even really move Dak and get a whole lot. Drafting a top QB next year requires a top 5-8 pick which we won't be bad enough to get no matter who is QB1 this season. If by some chance we were able to then drafting one means your moving past Lance and not a "healthy competition" bc if he shows promise then you do have to pay Lance this upcoming offseason. You're not getting a "King's Ransom" for the loser of that QB battle in any scenario.

The only realistic scenarios in regards to Lance's future in Dallas is he proves he can be a backup to Dak beyond this season or we have a repeat of 2016 and 2016 isn't really realistic bc you need a dak injury and a mighty struggle from Rush before Lance even sees the field.
We'll see how it plays out.
But a young OL with questionable coaching may make for a difficult season for a immobile QB.
A QB who struggles under pressure.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
If physical tools are all you need to be a successful NFL QB, then Carson Wince would still be the starting QB for the Eagirls.
Wentz has the best back up QB job in the NFL. He’s likely to get a second Super Bowl ring without playing in one. The guy has made a fortune.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
People going crazy over an exhibition game. lol
Totally, I could understand if he just threw for 300 yards and 3 tds and 0 ints seeing these types of threads. Good to see the improvement, but our standard is way too low if yesterday makes us think he has top 100 player talent.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
In NFL time that’s pretty old but in chronological time he’s still pretty young. Since he started his career at such a young age.
but if he was a 6th or 7th round pick, would a team make such a time and resource investment? I would venture to say Mike White and DeNucci showed more and we let them walk

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
but if he was a 6th or 7th round pick, would a team make such a time and resource investment? I would venture to say Mike White and DeNucci showed more and we let them walk
Bold> That is a good point although I would also suggest neither White nor DeNucci have Trey Lance's scrambling/rushing ability. It is an asset that will be considered in Lance's favor, regardless of his eventual outcome with the team.

calico

Reaction score
lol. Just draft a ******** qb in the first round and stop trying to fix old junkers and other people’s mistakes. That’s the **** that has lead me to hate this franchise and root against it.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
about the same...

what have you seen from Lance that puts him above those guys?
Compared to Mike White I think the difference is night and day, simply in that they are completely different QBs. Mike White makes Drew Bledsoe look like a mobile QB. Hes a guy that I think has always had an NFL caliber arm, but his downfall has been his inability to move, even just within the pocket. Trey Lance clearly runs circles around White as an athlete. If Trey Lance can get on par with White in terms of arm talent then you probably have a pro bowl caliber QB. In a different era Mike White is probably an early draft pick.

To be honest I really don't remember a ton about Dinucci outside of his start in 2020 which was about as ugly as a start could get. He clearly had limited arm strength and didn't feel comfortable even being on the field. Taking a quick glance at his preseason stats the following year though he put up a 53 completion %, 5.3YPA, and 4 INTs in 66 attempts. 3 of those INTs are on just 15 attempts from intermediate range which without seeing the tape tells me that he either is confused by coverages, slow to make his throws, or doesn't have the arm strength to fit balls into windows downfield. Lance so far this preseason has 62 completion % 5.3YPA and 0 INTs. The numbers alone are obviously similar however Lance is clearly a dual threat with his legs, has done an excellent job of protecting the football, and while we have some accuracy issues we can't question the fastball.

To me Lance is at least on the right track. Not saying that he is ready to start against Cleveland in a few weeks, but I completely understand the optimism around the kid. He is clearly coachable, and in watching him you see the little things in his footwork and his head positioning that you want to see. To me the big thing is simply seeing him send the ball down field more. This preseason he is:

6-9 behind the LOS (1 drop)
25-38 on throws 0-9 air yards (5 drops)
8-10 on throws 10-19 air yards
1-5 on throws 20+ air yards

He looks extremely comfortable on those mid length throws, not so much on the deep balls, but needs to do more of both of them. Tough to be a starting NFL QB with 75% of your passing being under 10 yard throws unless you can be Brady level efficient. Last year Dak was around 66% of his passes on balls under 10 yards, but he is also one of the more efficient deep ball throwers in the league. It might be tough to trust the numbers on his deep balls with 2nd/3rd string receivers, but we still want to see the throws. The accuracy is still a work in progress but took a huge leap from game 1 to game 2. His numbers on play action were considerably better with the Cowboys actually keeping a balanced offense. IMO if Trey shows a little better in terms of accuracy and shows that he can be effective down field I don't see how he isn't a starting QB in this league.

leeblair

Reaction score
They have similar physical/athletic traits and arm talent. Lance really just needs reps. I'm not sure if winning 9 - 10 games and losing in the wild card round with Dak is the way to go.
Lance can be better than Jordan Love. Love is pretty good, but I think Lance has even more potential in that he shows some Aikman type qualities. His willingness to take a hit to complete a pass is something that very few quarterbacks do really well.