Trey Lance: Cowboys Starter in 2025?

Jayinem

Reaction score
I'm not going to say "starter" in 2025. My hope is that he will compete with another for the starting job and may the best QB win.

I see the Cowboys drafting a QB this year or the next and allowing him and Lance to actually compete. I see a scenario where the starter must play at a high level because the backup is also capable of starting. This provides a safety net in terms of injury while also acting as leverage during contract negotiations.

Besides, with 17 games in the regular season, a team should have two capable QBs if they wish to compete for a full season.
No mention of Dak what do you think they're going to do with Dak?

plasticman

Reaction score
No mention of Dak what do you think they're going to do with Dak?
I just don't see them paying Dak long term. I think they are going to eat his salary next season but they won't extend him. That's just my gut feeling.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I'm not going to defend Trey Lance or bash him, because he's an unproven. No it doesn't look good that Shanahan moved on from him, but he's only played in 8 games and was 5 TDs and 3 INTS which isn't all time terrible for first 8 starts, but not great either. We don't know who he is yet because he wasn't given enough of a chance. The only reason he's on our roster is the 49ers struck gold with the last pick in the draft and they only found out because he got injured.

But Dak has had plenty of chances to shine. It would not be an all time blunder if you start Trey Lance and we go 2-15 to me, because I don't care about regular season wins. We know Dak will fail in the playoffs so I'm doing an American Idol audition for the next Dallas Cowboys QB, if Trey Lance fails we look for another one.

This is the way I see it, but I know it's way more likely that the Cowboys cave into Dak's demands and he's the QB for at least the next 5 seasons. And when he's 36 we're still at 5 Super Bowls but won some more divisions, big whoop. Doubtful he ever gets past the Divisional Round, zero proof he is capable of doing so and QBs don't just suddenly change in their 30's.
Dak has shined - 30,000 yards 202 TD's to 74 Int's and a 99% QB Rating. 2.7 TD's per 1 int.

Trance has not started more than 40 games his entire life - HS, NCAA and NFL combined.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Trey Lance is TBD. Young QBs can get traded too. Favre was traded after not playing as a rookie in Atlanta. Steve young was a similar high potential guy that had flopped in Tampa before getting traded. More recently Jared Goff was traded. Some young qb trades don’t work out, look at Carson Wentz.

There are comps for Lance…oh wait but his high school stats weren’t that good so he should just quit now and go play in the USFL for $40k
His college stats were not that good either.

But go ahead and keep believing walk on QB's are NFL Phenoms.

Chasing6

Reaction score
There it is. Not sure how anyone can form an opinion either way...until this happens.
Did he play in pre season in SF???

Was he named the starter and take all first team reps?

But he just needs to be given an opportunity.

The Niners traded 3 first round picks and did not give him an opportunity? Seriously???

Last edited:

Jimbo123

Reaction score
Trey Lance is TBD. Young QBs can get traded too. Favre was traded after not playing as a rookie in Atlanta. Steve young was a similar high potential guy that had flopped in Tampa before getting traded. More recently Jared Goff was traded. Some young qb trades don’t work out, look at Carson Wentz.

There are comps for Lance…oh wait but his high school stats weren’t that good so he should just quit now and go play in the USFL for $40k
At least in the USFL, he would be playing or at least #2 QB.

Chasing6

Reaction score

There are no comps for Trance. He is the least experience QB ever to be drafted in the first round in the history of the NFL.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
There are no comps for Trance. He is the least experience QB ever to be drafted in the first round in the history of the NFL.
wow, you must hate Trey pretty bad, or is it you're just in love with dak. I don't care who comes in as long as they make the team better. How many practices or games have you watched of Trey? just wondering.
I never seen him play.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Did he play in pre season in SF???

Was he named the starter and take all first team reps?

But he just needs to be given an opportunity.

The Niners traded 3 first round picks and did not give him an opportunity? Seriously???
Yes sir, seriously.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
His college stats were not that good either.

But go ahead and keep believing walk on QB's are NFL Phenoms.
Trey Lance was 208-318 for 2947 yards and a 30-1 TD-INT ratio. I think he made a mistake in opting out of the 2020 season as he clearly needed more reps, but how are those numbers not good? That's like saying Denver traded for 'game manager' Payton Manning.

RoboQB

Reaction score
Trey Lance was 208-318 for 2947 yards and a 30-1 TD-INT ratio. I think he made a mistake in opting out of the 2020 season as he clearly needed more reps, but how are those numbers not good? That's like saying Denver traded for 'game manager' Payton Manning.
It's hilarious how that guy continues to mention Lance
in high school. Clearly, overlooking Trey's season as a
6 year old dominating the Ankle-biter division...lol/smh

Dude went 16-0 in 2019. 28 tds 0 ints passing. 1100 yards and 14 tds rushing. But, no, it's the 4-4 high school record he wants to focus on.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Any QB can throw bubble screens, and running around until someone gets open is not how you play QB in the NFL.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
It's hilarious how that guy continues to mention Lance
in high school. Clearly, overlooking Trey's season as a
6 year old dominating the Ankle-biter division...lol/smh

Dude went 16-0 in 2019. 28 tds 0 ints passing. 1100 yards and 14 tds rushing. But, no, it's the 4-4 high school
record he wants to focus on.
It blows my mind because there are legitimate knocks on Lance. There are also legitimate good talking points about Dak. There is no need to make up false narratives and blindly bash any other QB.

perrykemp

Reaction score
wow, you must hate Trey pretty bad, or is it you're just in love with dak. I don't care who comes in as long as they make the team better. How many practices or games have you watched of Trey? just wondering.
I never seen him play.
Don't have to be a hater to state the fact that Lance has attempted a total of 389 pass attempts total over his 3 years in the NFL and his time at North Dakota State.

It's a tiny amount -- equivalent to less than a full season for lots of college/ NFL QBs. Tom Brady attempted 719 passes in 2021 alone as an example.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I never seen him play.
It is called reality. Trance will not make this team better. Kid has zero experience. You can't lean how to play QB in the NFL by watching.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
You'd have to have a 2nd grade IQ to think just because someone mentions don't pay dak they blame only him for our ills.

What...you want EVERYONE to preface every other problem FIRST before criticizing Dak?

God...people...sheesh. the f...

Yes EVERYONE should look at ALL of the other problems before dishing their criticizing on Prescott because there is WAY MORE than enough blame with other areas before you get to Prescott.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Yes EVERYONE should look at ALL of the other problems before dishing their criticizing on Prescott because there is WAY MORE than enough blame with other areas before you get to Prescott.
Some positions are clearly more dependent on others doing their job first.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
You never answered my question, "What is one thing he can do well besides having a good arm?"
From his draft profile:

Overview​

One-year starter who dazzled in 2019. Lance is mature for his age, but will be just 20 years old at the time of the 2021 NFL Draft. He's a rare dual-threat quarterback in that he's tasked with setting his own protections and reading the full field. Coaches rave about his football IQ and film work. They believe he will come into the league more football savvy than most of the quarterbacks in this draft. Tape shows very average arm strength but velocity should improve with better lower-body drive. While his recognition of coverage danger is a plus, he's currently more of a "yellow light" quarterback who needs to find a "green light" risk-taking mentality to become a playmaking talent in the NFL. An offensive coordinator willing to blend his run/pass talent with a play-action attack could get the most out of Lance, who should become a good NFL starter.