Trey Lance: Cowboys Starter in 2025?

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As I've told others, Dak is one major injury away from being on the bubble. Prior to Romo getting hurt in the 2016 preseason, no one was thinking that Dak would start games in 2016 let alone win the starting job over Romo. Dak supporters will argue that Dak is much younger than the 2016 Romo and all of that. But I've seen it way too often. Established vet QB gets hurt and the young kid gets a shot. If that happens and if Lance looks even remotely decent, all of a sudden, fans will begin to see a QB who is younger, more athletic, better arm, more upside and all this at a much cheaper price.
I already called that in another thread. It would absolutely not surprise me one bit. Romo, Dak...and now young hotshot Trey. Almost karma, really.

Jimbo123

Reaction score
He’s the future QB man. He’s been a phenom.

Dak has been a failure.

He can’t win playoff games.

Plus, he is too expensive. Costs us mega millions $$$$
You keep calling him a phenom. Phenoms are not 3rd team scrub QBs on two teams. What is one thing he can do well besides having a good arm? His fundamentals are terrible.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
We'll see if Trey Lance manages to outplay Rush when the time comes for proof. It's fair to assume that the idea of Lance being far cheaper to sign than Rush might play a significant role in the chances of Lance becoming Rush's successor. To be continued in TC -- may the best man win. :flagwave:

Last edited:

Chasing6

Reaction score

Dak has been a failure.

He was a phenom in SF??? Why did they trade him?

DuncanIso

Reaction score
You keep calling him a phenom. Phenoms are not 3rd team scrub QBs on two teams. What is one thing he can do well besides having a good arm? His fundamentals are terrible.
Broke his leg and throwing hand.

He’s healed.

Ready to roll.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Purdy did not win the starting job because of Lance's injuries, he won the job because Lance sucked.
Purdy seems to actually be pretty good. Do you think it MIGHT be possible Lance DOESN'T suck...just Purdy is better at this point for the 9ers.

If I get your drift..Purdy MUST be better than Dak. Lead his team further. It certainly might not be at all what you are saying but you are surely drifting that way if you were consistent and honest in your assessment.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
Dak Prescott has proven he is a really good regular season QB. Psychologically, something is going on between his ears in the playoffs. Despite his regular season success, has he shown the Joneses enough to warrant a $60 million dollar/year contract extension? I don't think so.

Unlike last time when the Cowboys could have paid him ~$28 million (and punted), this time they have a QB on the roster that is more talented than Cooper Rush and has a higher ceiling. His name? Trey Lance and he's only 23 years old.

My unfounded theory on why Mike McCarthy was retained? He's had a great history of developing young QBs. Trey has a big arm and ton of upside. The Joneses gave up draft capital to trade for this young man (which is huge IMO).

I expect the contract extension negotiations with Dak to drag on past the beginning of the new NFL league year and eventually stall. Trey has a roster bonus of $4.2 million dollars, and I believe he will be QB2 this season.

I think Trey gets the (cheaper) contract extension and Dak is playing his last year in Dallas this season.

Cowboys starter at QB next season: Trey Lance. Book it.
If in fact Lance ends up as the Cowboy starter, bet the house that the Cowboys will be picking 1st in the next NFL draft! BOOK IT!!!!!!!

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Show me one post of someone blaming only dak.

There are tons of post where they say things like don't renew his contract because how he lost playoff games or try trading Prescott because he can't win a playoff game. You have to have an IQ of a 3rd grader if you don't see the blame Prescott gets for playoff losses.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There are tons of post where they say things like don't renew his contract because how he lost playoff games or try trading Prescott because he can't win a playoff game. You have to have an IQ of a 3rd grader if you don't see the blame Prescott gets for playoff losses.
You'd have to have a 2nd grade IQ to think just because someone mentions don't pay dak they blame only him for our ills.

What...you want EVERYONE to preface every other problem FIRST before criticizing Dak?

God...people...sheesh. the f...

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

Dak has been a failure.

You can’t possibly be serious with that post. :facepalm: It’s almost like you don’t want anyone to take you seriously. When exactly was Trey Lance a phenom? It certainly hasn’t been in the NFL. He was the third overall pick and ended up getting dumped after only two seasons. That’s a failure!

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
You can’t possibly be serious with that post. :facepalm: It’s almost like you don’t want anyone to take you seriously. When exactly was Trey Lance a phenom? He was the third overall pick and ended up getting dumped after only two seasons. That’s a failure!
We like our phenoms.