Trey Lance: Cowboys Starter in 2025?

Havic

Reaction score
Over and over again it’s the same.

Dak is good enough to get you to the playoffs but not advance in them. Lance should have no issues beating out Rush.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You’ve seen a lot of Trey Lance that inspires your confidence, have you?

I haven’t even seen anything that makes me ready to give him the backup job, although I hope that changes this year.
A lot of fans don’t need to see anything in Trey Lance, or any QB that inspires them. They just want any QB but Dak. Just throw a bunch of names of QBs in a hat and pick one and they’ll be happy.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out. Lance has had a disappointing start to his career, but he has had some hurdles to overcome. A change of scenery with a full season and offseason to work and learn, without the pressure and scrutiny that comes with starting may be just the ticket for him.

If the Jones were sold on Dak his extension would have already been negotiated. They would have gotten it done during the season. If you're thinking in terms of the next fiveish years you get your most expensive and most important player locked up for cap planning purposes, among other reasons.

Acquiring Lance and not getting Dak's contract going forward sorted out speaks volumes.

It all comes down to just how well Lance is progressing.

All that to say he may, or may not be starting next season.
It’s in Jerry Jones’ interest to wait on negotiating with Prescott. In the next two months teams considering a change at quarterback next season will be committing to a free gent QB they sign, a QB they draft, or a QB they trade for. After those commitments are made there will be fewer teams interested in acquiring him. His price may then be more reasonable.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Dumb. Anytime a team has the opportunity to develop a young QB with upside at a low cost, you take that deal. You never know when the next Dak injury will strike.
Lance can't help the Cowboys this year or next two years. A draft pick of need at another position would. Wisen up.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Over and over again it’s the same.

Dak is good enough to get you to the playoffs but not advance in them. Lance should have no issues beating out Rush.
I wouldn’t say he’ll have no issues beating him out. It’s anyone’s guess where Trey Lance is confidence wise after failing in San Francisco. As for Dak we’ve advanced in the playoffs twice with him but like with Romo we can’t get past the divisional round. Even Troy Aikman didn’t get past the divisional around in his last two playoff appearances.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Why would Jerry need to do that, when he just traded for Lance a few months ago?
Because Jerry didn't think things through. Dak isn't going anywhere, nor should he. Cooper Rush is still a quality backup who can be kept for cheap. Trey Lance will eventually start problems wanting to start and get paid more. Best to trade him right now and get a mid-round draft pick for him while you can, especially since Cowboys have too many holes to fill.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You know I didn't really care whether they extended DAK or waited until 2025 to make a decision but now because of all the Dak Haters,

I really hope they trigger every one of you and pay him that $60 million that's rumored and I hope somehow Jerry makes you even more mad and makes a Trey Lance trade for a seventh round pick to move up in the draft and get rid of the dude before you see him play so you'll all be so triggered.....

So I'll remember these threads and come back bookmark when all this stuff happens so the anti Jones and the anti DAK haters will spiral out of control maybe AT&T will break again
Win win for me. I'll gladly eat crow if dak wins a super bowl.

Dak stinks up the joint again and you eat crow, plus it will prove how wrong you are again.

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
I am interested in what he can do. Rush and Dak are getting up there in age.

RoboQB

Reaction score
Win win for me. I'll gladly eat crow if dak wins a super bowl.

Dak stinks up the joint again and you eat crow, plus it will prove how wrong you are again.
Apparently, after eating crow for three years, it must taste like chicken. They don't even know anymore.
But hey, "12 wins, 12 wins!"...smh

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Apparently, after eating crow for three years, it must taste like chicken. They don't even know anymore.
But hey, "12 wins, 12 wins!"...smh
12 wins and, check it out, one vote out of 50. Oh man, the greatness of The Dak.

Watch out for the rat.

Jimbo123

Reaction score
Trey Lance is a QB with a big arm who can also run.
Two physical traits Dak doesn't have. Not sure why
more people aren't intrigued.
What makes you think he can run?
His combine 40 time was the same as Cooper Rush's 4.92 vs 4.93
LINK

Chasing6

Reaction score
Dak Prescott has proven he is a really good regular season QB. Psychologically, something is going on between his ears in the playoffs. Despite his regular season success, has he shown the Joneses enough to warrant a $60 million dollar/year contract extension? I don't think so.

Unlike last time when the Cowboys could have paid him ~$28 million (and punted), this time they have a QB on the roster that is more talented than Cooper Rush and has a higher ceiling. His name? Trey Lance and he's only 23 years old.

My unfounded theory on why Mike McCarthy was retained? He's had a great history of developing young QBs. Trey has a big arm and ton of upside. The Joneses gave up draft capital to trade for this young man (which is huge IMO).

I expect the contract extension negotiations with Dak to drag on past the beginning of the new NFL league year and eventually stall. Trey has a roster bonus of $4.2 million dollars, and I believe he will be QB2 this season.

I think Trey gets the (cheaper) contract extension and Dak is playing his last year in Dallas this season.

Cowboys starter at QB next season: Trey Lance. Book it.
He already starts on the Scout Team.

Havic

Reaction score
I wouldn’t say he’ll have no issues beating him out. It’s anyone’s guess where Trey Lance is confidence wise after failing in San Francisco. As for Dak we’ve advanced in the playoffs twice with him but like with Romo we can’t get past the divisional round. Even Troy Aikman didn’t get past the divisional around in his last two playoff appearances.
Talent wise, Lance has all the tools. Rush is extremely limited imo but knows the offense. Lance has a much higher ceiling, we will see what the offseason looks like. Making it just to the divisional round isn't good enough and if we had Romo for some of the teams Dak had, I think we would have made it to the NFCGG imo.

RoboQB

Reaction score
What makes you think he can run?
His combine 40 time was the same as Cooper Rush's 4.92 vs 4.93
LINK
Your link references him as a high school senior.
For me, it's the 169 carries for 1100 yards and 14 TDs
as a college sophomore in 2019.