Trey Lance keeps missing his mark

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
I would post 15+ poorly and inaccurately thrown passes during this preseason ALONE.
I don't feel Lance is inaccurate. I think he sees the field poorly and has anticipation problems.

This leads to throwing late, and picking the wrong target.

Can he correct this? I don't know. But right now it isn't very promising, and he is clearly QB#3 in my mind and with the game on the line and Dak hurt I would give the ball to Rush.

If Dak was out for the season and we were mathematically out of the playoffs I would turn the season over the Lance and get a real deep look at him with our offensive starters against their defensive first starters.

But to your point I think Lance can hit a dot in the field. He just can't anticipate when the dot is going to open up, and which dots during the play is the best to take.

shabazz

Reaction score
I sure miss the good old days when they would just rip on how bad Cooper Rush was.....now he's a darling.

Go figure

RonnieT24

Reaction score
We don't know what his instructions were.
We don't know if Mike told him ahead of time to do his best and don't be afraid to take chances because the game is only for practice.
You would agree that if the game meant something that Trey would have been reigned in some as far as his passing goes. Would you not?
It only stands to reason that Mike wanted Trey to push it and take some chances, or he would have called different plays rather than let Lance loose the game.
We don't have to be in the coaches meetings to know that "throw it to the other team 5 times" was never on the list of items to check off. McCarthy didn't care about winning the game. He cared about Lance getting an opportunity to show he COULD win the game..

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Lance had 5 picks against practice squad dudes in 1 game........................Dak had 9 picks along with 36 TDs (led NFL) over 17 games last year..........................but Lance showed more good today than Dak has in his career???:huh:

This is why I cant take you anti-Dak dudes seriously anymore.
You mean there was a time when you did take them seriously?

RonnieT24

Reaction score
And yet, ex-players explained in full what happened during those playoffs and why, yet some of you refuse to acknowledge that analysis.

But for a 4 year veteran who still struggles badly with his accuracy or ability to see the field/read defenses, all reasonings are legit and to be taken into account.
This is the most damning to me. This was not Blitzburgh or The Legion of Boom or any such. These were preseason vanilla type defenses that induced the kid to 5 picks. I'm not ready to cut Lance like some, but he needs to be removed from consideration as QB1 or QB2 and focus on being a Taysom Hill type weapon for the offense. Beyond that, he is of little value to this team.

leeblair

Reaction score
We don't have to be in the coaches meetings to know that "throw it to the other team 5 times" was never on the list of items to check off. McCarthy didn't care about winning the game. He cared about Lance getting an opportunity to show he COULD win the game..
Apparently they wanted Lance to learn what he could and couldn't do in a game.
McCarthy was pleased, and although he didn't like the interceptions, didn't seem concerned. The main thing was to get Lance some reps, and that's apparently the goal moving forward.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Apparently they wanted Lance to learn what he could and couldn't do in a game.
McCarthy was pleased, and although he didn't like the interceptions, didn't seem concerned. The main thing was to get Lance some reps, and that's apparently the goal moving forward.
McCarthy was pleased because he got through the game without losing anymore starters and he got an extended look at Lance among others. Moving forward Lance will get plenty of reps emulating the other teams' QBs. He will not be getting any 1st of 2nd team reps. Nor should he, he has not earned any. The Cowboys saw what they needed to see out of Lance. Good athlete who needs work as a QB. They will begin work on him again as soon as the 2024 season is over. Until then, he is Deshawn Watson for the next two weeks.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
You are the one that keeps coming at me. I was just saying Trey has some potential. And you act like I am attacking Dak.
I come back with the Dak comments because of all the hate against Lance.
Well, weren't you the one who started the attacks against any Dak supporters who are against Lance as being so because "we are afraid Lance will replace Dak"?

What's sad is it has nothing to do with Dak. This is strictly about Lance.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I don't feel Lance is inaccurate. I think he sees the field poorly and has anticipation problems.

This leads to throwing late, and picking the wrong target.

Can he correct this? I don't know. But right now it isn't very promising, and he is clearly QB#3 in my mind and with the game on the line and Dak hurt I would give the ball to Rush.

If Dak was out for the season and we were mathematically out of the playoffs I would turn the season over the Lance and get a real deep look at him with our offensive starters against their defensive first starters.

But to your point I think Lance can hit a dot in the field. He just can't anticipate when the dot is going to open up, and which dots during the play is the best to take.
Good points.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
There is zero way he gets traded. Their is no demand for an inaccurate, inexperienced QB.
Not at this stage of his development, at least not for a descent pick. There are likely teams out there who like some aspects of his game, but not enough to give up anything significant to continue his work in progress. If Dak stays, there is no future for Trey. If Dak walks, I can very much see Jerry trying to continue with him and finding a QB in free agency next year

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
This board would have been much more entertaining if that last pass had been a td not an int.
It was weird how that the pass came out like a floater that I thought it was tipped since most of his passes that go beyond 15 yards are bullets.

Chasing6

Reaction score
It was weird how that the pass came out like a floater that I thought it was tipped since most of his passes that go beyond 15 yards are bullets.
That last throw was a fast ball wide and outside. I don't believe he has the touch to put it over a LB and between a CB and a FS. He tried to power it thru and an LB was in the way, which forced his pass wide.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Here is something for the board to consider about Lance. Let's consider some QBs who have been traded recently in the past three years.

Notably, Russel Wilson, Kenny Pickett, Zack Wilson and Justin Fields. All were considered locker room problems and lacked leadership qualities needed for an NFL QB. Somehow this QB starved league found a way to make deals for these malcontents.

Lance is considered a good team mate in both San Fran and now Dallas. If any team is looking to take a chance on a good leader to develop into a starting NFL QB Dallas someone to offer.