Trey Lance mop up duty?

Stak78

Reaction score
At what point do we want to see Trey Lance get a little playing time in a blowout? I felt the desire against the Giants. I realize he can’t go in unless one of the top two QBs get hurt. We know exactly what we have in Rush. It would be nice to see what he’s got. Surely he has a decent grasp of the offense by now.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
At what point do we want to see Trey Lance get a little playing time in a blowout? I felt the desire against the Giants. I realize he can’t go in unless one of the top two QBs get hurt. We know exactly what we have in Rush. It would be nice to see what he’s got. Surely he has a decent grasp of the offense by now.
I'm curious, but not overly. But I do hate that we can't choose which of the backups to put in.

817Gill

Reaction score
He can’t go in unless they both get injured. I don’t see a scenario where the team fakes two injuries in a blowout for Trey to get snaps.

This isn’t about us being curious, we aren’t coaches we don’t work for the team. Their plan is to get him into their building and build him up to anywhere from a backup in 2024 to possibly leverage over Dak on his next deal.

He is not going to play unless we have cluster QB injuries. This is something I believe we need to accept. Know the rule and understand that he won’t play unless there’s an emergency.

Hopefully these requests end once we all realize he is the emergency QB. Rush would need to be demoted for him to play.

If you think we go into any game with Rush inactive for Lance then you’re delusional.

817Gill

Reaction score
Next summer. That's been the answer every time this question gets asked.

Only way he is active on game day is if Dak or Cooper are injured.
I’m ready for folks to stop asking lol. The rule is the rule and he won’t ever be above Rush this season. If Dak goes down they go with the vet they trust who they’ve seen win games for them before.

Not a snowballs chance we see Lance outside of a last game of the season resting starters thing or major QB room injuries.

rambo2

Reaction score
We will see him next year in the pre season.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Want versus need. Some Cowboys fans want Trey Lance to play in order to judge what he can do for themselves. The Cowboys coaching staff have four regular season games' worth of film on Trey Lance starting for San Francisco. There is zero need for them to see what Lance is capable of.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Rush still needs the reps in the event Dak is injured. Lance isn’t going to play unless the Cowboys come up with a package for him as a situational QB. The longer we go into the season the less likely we’re going to use him that way.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I’m not trying to bash Jerry or whatever but I’m still not sure what the plan is for Lance.

I can’t make sense of what the angle is from our end. Maybe one of you smarties can help me get it.

Hedge bet is my best guess, but I really don’t see how it adds up or what the thought process was when parting with a 4th round pick.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
It seems CZ fans never actually saw Lance play in the NFL. He looked lost. Jerry throwing away a 4th round pick on him was a crapshoot. Temper expectations.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
It seems CZ fans never actually saw Lance play in the NFL. He looked lost. Jerry throwing away a 4th round pick on him was a crapshoot. Temper expectations.
Yep, temper expectations, he's never played much at any level. Since puberty, he has only 533 pass attempts if you count all his High School, College, and NFL passes. Dak, so far, this season has 300 attempts, for some context.

Motorola

Reaction score
He can’t go in unless they both get injured. I don’t see a scenario where the team fakes two injuries in a blowout for Trey to get snaps.

This isn’t about us being curious, we aren’t coaches we don’t work for the team. Their plan is to get him into their building and build him up to anywhere from a backup in 2024 to possibly leverage over Dak on his next deal.

He is not going to play unless we have cluster QB injuries. This is something I believe we need to accept. Know the rule and understand that he won’t play unless there’s an emergency.

Hopefully these requests end once we all realize he is the emergency QB. Rush would need to be demoted for him to play.

If you think we go into any game with Rush inactive for Lance then you’re delusional.
I’m ready for folks to stop asking lol. The rule is the rule and he won’t ever be above Rush this season. If Dak goes down they go with the vet they trust who they’ve seen win games for them before.

Not a snowballs chance we see Lance outside of a last game of the season resting starters thing or major QB room injuries.
We'll see other CZers keep asking about it next Sunday if the Cowboys blow out the Panthers.