Trey Lance mop up duty?

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
If we have a meaningless game at the end of the regular (and have clinched a playoff berth), I can totally see a situation where we sit Dak and Lance may get some run.

offlimits

Reaction score
At what point do we want to see Trey Lance get a little playing time in a blowout? I felt the desire against the Giants. I realize he can’t go in unless one of the top two QBs get hurt. We know exactly what we have in Rush. It would be nice to see what he’s got. Surely he has a decent grasp of the offense by now.
Pre-season next summer

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
At what point do we want to see Trey Lance get a little playing time in a blowout? I felt the desire against the Giants. I realize he can’t go in unless one of the top two QBs get hurt. We know exactly what we have in Rush. It would be nice to see what he’s got. Surely he has a decent grasp of the offense by now.
he is the emergency QB. so if Dak is out, maybe Rush gets hurt, then Lance gets in. unless he is promoted to back up duty, which I don't see happening this year.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I’m not trying to bash Jerry or whatever but I’m still not sure what the plan is for Lance.

I can’t make sense of what the angle is from our end. Maybe one of you smarties can help me get it.

Hedge bet is my best guess, but I really don’t see how it adds up or what the thought process was when parting with a 4th round pick.
The Cowboys traded a 4th round pick for a 23 year old developmental quarterback that they have been looking for the past two drafts. I don’t understand how our fans don’t understand that. Especially with the injuries that the Jets and Minnesota have had this season. You don’t think Dobbs would have been worth a 4th round pick?

conner01

Reaction score
The problem is as the emergency QB, if he comes in and got injured you can’t bring the others back. It’s not like you can predict when you are gonna have a blow out

CowboysRule

Reaction score
A badly traded up for BUST of a 1st round draft pick.
I love you guys here. You expect all players to immediately become All-Pro's. The guy has started all of 4 games due to injuries and yet you are ready to write him off as a bust in only his 3rd year. The guy is like 23 years old and has all the tools to be an NFL QB. We traded for him knowing he will be able to just sit and learn for a year or two. Does that mean he will become a great player? No, of course not. But if he doesn't all we've lost is a 4th round pick on a guy who was thought to be a top QB.

Yeah, I get it. Jamarcus Russell was taken #1 overall but so was Troy Aikman.

cej757

Reaction score
Jamarcus Russell was a first round QB. So was Ryan Leaf, and Akili Smith. I don't think any of us need to smell Jerry's farts to be a "real fan", but maybe that's just me.

It's okay to admit that every move they make might not be the best. Quincy Carter is just one example.
Quincy Carter wasn't that bad. I would take Quincy over alot of QBs the Cowboys threw out there when Romo would get hurt.

shabazz

Reaction score
We'll see him plenty pre-season next year. I doubt we keep Rush.
As well as Rush played , his ceiling was very mediocre and if Lances ceiling is higher it would greatly benefit the Cowboys……the problem is some players never realize their potential and Trey could be one of them.

Cooper Rush absolutely reached his full potential but it’s limited.

blueblood70

Reaction score
nope rush needs the work more.. he is the primary backup in new offense with new pieces.... stop asking not happening because we are in a playoff race.

blueblood70

Reaction score
He can’t go in unless they both get injured. I don’t see a scenario where the team fakes two injuries in a blowout for Trey to get snaps.

This isn’t about us being curious, we aren’t coaches we don’t work for the team. Their plan is to get him into their building and build him up to anywhere from a backup in 2024 to possibly leverage over Dak on his next deal.

He is not going to play unless we have cluster QB injuries. This is something I believe we need to accept. Know the rule and understand that he won’t play unless there’s an emergency.

Hopefully these requests end once we all realize he is the emergency QB. Rush would need to be demoted for him to play.

If you think we go into any game with Rush inactive for Lance then you’re delusional.
:lmao:Imagine the league catches wind of you faking injuries jst to get 3rd in for fans amusement lmao.

Jarntt

Reaction score
Next summer. That's been the answer every time this question gets asked.

Only way he is active on game day is if Dak or Cooper are injured.
Exactly. If both are injured during the game, while he is the emergency QB, he will obviously play. If one is inactive for a game because of injury he will be the #2. If it is Dak that is inactive due to injury/illness I wouldn't be surprised to see Lance run some wild cat/run option/two point conversion plays.

Scotman

Reaction score
The Cowboys traded a 4th round pick for a 23 year old developmental quarterback that they have been looking for the past two drafts. I don’t understand how our fans don’t understand that. Especially with the injuries that the Jets and Minnesota have had this season. You don’t think Dobbs would have been worth a 4th round pick?
Exactly. I love the trade. My only issue is the length of his remaining contract. I'd be completely stoked if we had him at least three full years. If we can't resign him reasonably, then he probably wasn't worth a 4th. If we can, it was a GREAT trade.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
I’m not trying to bash Jerry or whatever but I’m still not sure what the plan is for Lance.

I can’t make sense of what the angle is from our end. Maybe one of you smarties can help me get it.

Hedge bet is my best guess, but I really don’t see how it adds up or what the thought process was when parting with a 4th round pick.
It was stupid. There's no reasonable angle.

817Gill

Reaction score
We'll see other CZers keep asking about it next Sunday if the Cowboys blow out the Panthers.
Haha yeah I’ve been trying to correct them during game threads but these two paragraphs are my last hurrah :laugh:

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Exactly. I love the trade. My only issue is the length of his remaining contract. I'd be completely stoked if we had him at least three full years. If we can't resign him reasonably, then he probably wasn't worth a 4th. If we can, it was a GREAT trade.
I hear you about the contract but Lance has 1st round tools, you’re not getting a player with his ability and age for anything less. It is up to Lance. The kid needs reps. I can only imagine thinking he could be Dobbs right now. Not to jinx it but he will get an opportunity. Just needs to be ready.

Side note about Dobbs the kid started for Tennessee in a win or go home game against Jacksonville last season. The guy has earned his stripes. The funny thing is if he was a high draft choice he would not be getting these opportunities. Lance probably should’ve forced the 49ers to release him.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
Not going to see Trey Lance in any games other than a possible week 17 game where Dallas has a playoff seed wrapped up with no ability to gain a playoff seed.

Scotman

Reaction score
I hear you about the contract but Lance has 1st round tools, you’re not getting a player with his ability and age for anything less. It is up to Lance. The kid needs reps. I can only imagine thinking he could be Dobbs right now. Not to jinx it but he will get an opportunity. Just needs to be ready.

Side note about Dobbs the kid started for Tennessee in a win or go home game against Jacksonville last season. The guy has earned his stripes. The funny thing is if he was a high draft choice he would not be getting these opportunities. Lance probably should’ve forced the 49ers to release him.
I promise, you don't have to convince me. I am all about a 4th round flyer on a guy who many thought had the skills to be a long-term franchise quarterback. Plus, the dude just started shaving. LOL He's got time and I hope that time is here.