Trey Lance mop up duty?

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Exactly. I love the trade. My only issue is the length of his remaining contract. I'd be completely stoked if we had him at least three full years. If we can't resign him reasonably, then he probably wasn't worth a 4th. If we can, it was a GREAT trade.
If they can't re-sign him reasonably, they will get a good comp pick.

erod

Reaction score
I promise, you don't have to convince me. I am all about a 4th round flyer on a guy who many thought had the skills to be a long-term franchise quarterback. Plus, the dude just started shaving. LOL He's got time and I hope that time is here.
True, but he'll be a free agent after next season, so they need to figure it out before they make that fifth-year option decision.

Scotman

Reaction score
True, but he'll be a free agent after next season, so they need to figure it out before they make that fifth-year option decision.
Hmmm...I honestly hadn't even thought of that. Just completely whiffed on that. That's a great, great point.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I promise, you don't have to convince me. I am all about a 4th round flyer on a guy who many thought had the skills to be a long-term franchise quarterback. Plus, the dude just started shaving. LOL He's got time and I hope that time is here.
Our fans on this board still think that 4th round pick was gonna bring us King Henry. :laugh: :facepalm:

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Next summer. That's been the answer every time this question gets asked.

Only way he is active on game day is if Dak or Cooper are injured.

THAT'S easy!!!!!! Cooper could have faked an injury, and came off the field, and Lance could have been activated!!!

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
At what point do we want to see Trey Lance get a little playing time in a blowout? I felt the desire against the Giants. I realize he can’t go in unless one of the top two QBs get hurt. We know exactly what we have in Rush. It would be nice to see what he’s got. Surely he has a decent grasp of the offense by now.
Never, at least not this year. He’ll get his chance during preseason next year.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Quincy was awful in his day. One of the worst.

Today, he'd seriously be a top 15 quarterback in the league.
Very interesting point, but I'm not sure you're wrong. Quincy had a lot of flaws, but the guy had very good size, was a natural athlete, and a rocket of an arm (although not the most accurate). You take him and put him in todays game instead of trying to get the guy to fit into a late 90s/ early 2000s offense and you have something.....probably not greatness but a starting QB in the league. I think there is a real argument about it being a whole lot easier to find mediocre starting caliber QBs in the NFL these days.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
People are curious. I get that. But they seem to forget he is 3rd string and just isn't ready to start yet.
Can we get some kind of banner or sticky thread with the tittle "Trey Lance can’t go in unless both QB’s get injured. He will stay the emergency QB all season barring injury." and then just merge all the threads asking for Lance into it?

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m ready for folks to stop asking lol. The rule is the rule and he won’t ever be above Rush this season. If Dak goes down they go with the vet they trust who they’ve seen win games for them before.

Not a snowballs chance we see Lance outside of a last game of the season resting starters thing or major QB room injuries.
A "rule"?

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
before the season is over I think Tonya Harding will crack Nancy Kerrigan's leg to get into the game

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I love you guys here. You expect all players to immediately become All-Pro's. The guy has started all of 4 games due to injuries and yet you are ready to write him off as a bust in only his 3rd year. The guy is like 23 years old and has all the tools to be an NFL QB. We traded for him knowing he will be able to just sit and learn for a year or two. Does that mean he will become a great player? No, of course not. But if he doesn't all we've lost is a 4th round pick on a guy who was thought to be a top QB.

Yeah, I get it. Jamarcus Russell was taken #1 overall but so was Troy Aikman.
Hs hates any qb not named dak.

mardwin

Reaction score
Trey is not contributing this year, his trade prospective was for next season and beyond. If Dak plays like he has against elite competition and makes a deep playoff run Trey is going to stay sitting.

fivetwos

Reaction score
The Cowboys traded a 4th round pick for a 23 year old developmental quarterback that they have been looking for the past two drafts. I don’t understand how our fans don’t understand that. Especially with the injuries that the Jets and Minnesota have had this season. You don’t think Dobbs would have been worth a 4th round pick?
I’m not complaining. I’m asking for help to understand it. I suppose that’s comes across as odd in a land of ‘know it alls’

Again, my best guess is it’s a hedge bet against Dak health maybe, but that seems odd, considering other circumstances.

What is he supposed to become? A backup to Dak? A situation type of RPO guy?

I’m not bashing the FO over the decision, just trying to make sense of what the plan is for him.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Can we get some kind of banner or sticky thread with the tittle "Trey Lance can’t go in unless both QB’s get injured. He will stay the emergency QB all season barring injury." and then just merge all the threads asking for Lance into it?
:lmao: :hammer:

blueblood70

Reaction score
Quincy Carter wasn't that bad. I would take Quincy over alot of QBs the Cowboys threw out there when Romo would get hurt.
Well, that’s because Quincy, Carter and Joshua Dobbs are very similar players can adding guys like Tyrod Taylor and all these career back ups but Quincy was never really a true starter would been more ofva tweeter , you know like Fitzpatrick and what not