Troy Aikman on The Ticket

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree. I don't know why the original poster suggested Troy must be smoking something. Besides, Troy said IF and that's the operative word. Bradford can't stay healthy. But if he does, he can be dangerous in an offense predicated on the quick release of its quarterback.

I just have doubts about him staying healthy. Once quarterbacks start to have multiple injuries, they seem to compound.

Because of how he said it and put it. Troy is usually pretty good on the Ticket. He is far different from the game broadcasts. But he usually has been supportive of the Cowboys. But in his first few weeks of the season, he is very conservative and down plays Dallas, and what they have done, or if they will improve. And seems to be up on other teams and lately a lot on the Eagles.

Once Dallas wins and gets on a roll, he will be back to his support of them.
Not a band wagon thing, just wants to see how things play out.
Could just be me, but that's the way I see it. I usually like what he has to say. He does say it straight though. But he is more himself on this than in the booth. where he can't show his support.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I would have been upset to pay Peterson more than Murray. That is an even higher risk in my opinion, considering Peterson's injury history and age.

Personally I would have paid Murray. It wasn't an incredibly expensive deal. But I understand their reasoning. If it's between Murray now and Frederick later, I take Frederick later every single day.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
IMO The position Troy is in with Fox as a broadcaster prohibits him from saying what he truly, truly thinks. Although I don't like it, I think he will always go overboard to be unbiased. It shows in his commentary especially when he works DC games. I respect him as a person and a commentator. He does his homework and just needs a new play by play partner to really be effective. Perhaps a Pat Summerall type instead of a drama queen like Buck?
I don't think we'll ever see the Trump in Troy but the way it goes.

Or maybe, just maybe, this is really what he thinks and it just doesn't work for a lot of Cowboys fans?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Everybody is jumping on the Sam Bradford train. I caught some of his preseason games..... He can throw the football, thats for sure. And they seemed to be clicking.... But thats just preseason;

This morning on Mike & Mike I heard Greeny pick the Eagles because Bradfords preseason success. I almost threw up. Preseason isn't real football and everyone should know that already.

knightrider94

Reaction score
Someone needs to ask Troy just how much Dallas was suppose to pay DeMarco Murray and who else from the offensive line, defensive line or Dez would he have been okay with sacrificing to sign Murray. The cap has to be managed. Signing Murray to the contract he signed with the Eagles would have had negative consequences long term on the team. Murray never demonstrated, up until last year, that he was a "big time" back. You can't pay the kind of money he wanted for one good year.

Reaction score
I think people here want to believe Bradford will not have adequate protection and will go down to injury early this season,,,

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
Its amazing how much love Sam Bradford gets these days.....

I decided to take a look at this sudden MVP candidate's past production.......I keep hearing how amazing he is "IF" he can stay healthy....
What do his stats show? A career 79.3 QB who has been a turnover machine. His only 2 full seasons were 2010 and 2012. He had 17 turnovers in 2012 to 21 TD's....His best comp % is 60.7.....
Sure he will statistically look better in Philly's gimmick system (Even Sanchez looks good in that system).
But I am not seeing a QB so amazing that he is going to make such a difference over Sanchize even. Every year he has played regardless of injury he has looked Average....Not special...Average.

Passing Stats
SEASONTEAMGP CMPATTCMP%YDSAVGTDLNGINTFUMQBRRAT
Career491,0321,76058.611,0656.295980381840.779.3

I agree, but he has a very accurate, strong arm. If he can get help around him, and put it together, get into the right system/situation, I think , as many others do, he could be an elite QB in the NFL.

-- I am hoping that doesnt happen!

superonyx

Reaction score
Its amazing how much love Sam Bradford gets these days.....

I decided to take a look at this sudden MVP candidate's past production.......I keep hearing how amazing he is "IF" he can stay healthy....
What do his stats show? A career 79.3 QB who has been a turnover machine. His only 2 full seasons were 2010 and 2012. He had 17 turnovers in 2012 to 21 TD's....His best comp % is 60.7.....
Sure he will statistically look better in Philly's gimmick system (Even Sanchez looks good in that system).
But I am not seeing a QB so amazing that he is going to make such a difference over Sanchize even. Every year he has played regardless of injury he has looked Average....Not special...Average.

VACowboy

Reaction score
I agree, but he has a very accurate, strong arm. If he can get help around him, and put it together, get into the right system/situation, I think , as many others do, he could be an elite QB in the NFL.

Based on what, a preseason game?

His highest season completion percentage was 60.7, as a rookie. He averages 58.4 for his career.

Will that go up this season? Sure, but it has to. The success of Kelly's offense depends on his QB competing a high percentage of his throws and protecting the football. Sam Bradford has never excelled at either.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I think people here want to believe Bradford will not have adequate protection and will go down to injury early this season,,,

Nobody can rely on that any more than they can rely on hoping he stays healthy. Maybe he makes it 16 games... maybe he doesn't. Dallas just needs to worry about getting to him and effecting his game (which it will with Bradford).

Hit him early, late and everywhere in between and it really won't matter if he's healthy or not.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Dude, just stop with the "game is different today" noise. You make it sound like Aikman played with a leather helmet on black and white television. Pretty sure he still has a decent handle on what works today. What the game "different" last year, when we rode a bell cow running back to the division title and should have played in the NFC championship?

I agree. I hear "The Game Is Different" all the time but I don't really buy into it. Running back by committee is not new. It's been around for a very long time. It's just that in the old days, you actually had FBs that could run the ball and could get yards. You don't have that anymore because now you only use them to block and the occasional pass catch or short yardage play. In the old days, they were effective parts of your offense and almost every team ran, what we call today, a Two Back Offense or RB by Committee if you prefer. Times haven't changed, terminology has changed and most around here are just to young to understand that this has all been done before. I also look at the idea of using a Bell Cow running game and hear it's gone by the boards. Well, no it really hasn't. Last year should be proof to everybody that it hasn't. Murray was exactly that and he lead the league. Levion Bell may be that this year and may well lead the league in rushing. Nothing has changed. It's all been done before. It's just marketing and what most fans don't understand is that it's basically sales 101. Repackage an old idea and sell it as new. That's what we are seeing today IMO.

robjay04

Reaction score
Nobody can rely on that any more than they can rely on hoping he stays healthy. Maybe he makes it 16 games... maybe he doesn't. Dallas just needs to worry about getting to him and effecting his game (which it will with Bradford).

Hit him early, late and everywhere in between and it really won't matter if he's healthy or not.

Yeah, I find it laughable that he is suddenly a preseason MVP favorite but people seem to ignore his actual body of work. Sure he hasn't had a load of talent around him but he hasn't shown much of anything.

superonyx

Reaction score

-- I am hoping that doesnt happen!

Its annoying to hear him even get mentioned as an MVP candidate when he has not performed at the level yet to deserve to be mentioned as one.

Heck he was just traded for Nick Foles and then was shopped very hard by the Eagles to move up for Marriota. Now he wants so much money the Eagles cut off contract extension talks. The guy has 1 nice half of 1 preseason game and his head blows up and he now wants to wait on contract extensions....

I am worried about the Eagles because I feel they have the ability to win some games against teams not ready for the spread offense...Sam Bradford doesn't deserve to cause me any anxiety at this point. He looked erratic in the Ravens game already. He was over throwing open receivers. Some say it was rust....I say he is afraid of another injury and he knew the Ravens weren't going to call off the rush for him.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
Sam Bradford is an "accurate," "quick release" QB...based on what???

His highest season completion percentage was 60.7, as a rookie. He averages 58.4 for his career.

Will that go up this year? Sure, but it has to. The success of Kelly's offense depends on his QB competing a high percentage of his throws and protecting the football. Sam Bradford has never excelled at either.

Based on mechanics. And he was a rookie with the Rams, who werent very good at the time he was playing; Also, I think his record shows, he cant do it, if he gets pressure................so thats his weakness.

But if he gets time. He can throw the football to any spot of the field; He looked good in preseason...I know "preseason", but he looked strong. Maybe Philly is the perfect system for him? It adds up for me..............

I will be watching to see how that develops....

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I actually think Troy is right. I don't believe that the Eagles are the favorites in the East. In fact, I think that once again, this Offense will ultimately hang the Defense out to dry again but hey, I guess we'll see.

Troy is right thou. If Bradford stays healthy, he might have a really, really good year. He was one of the best hurry up offense QBs I've seen in college. He can throw the football. The issue with him has always been health. Said it when he came out and have seen nothing to make me believe that I was wrong. If he stays healthy, he could have a heck of a year but I believe that the Eagles are vulnerable on their interior OL. I guess we'll see.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
Its annoying to hear him even get mentioned as an MVP candidate when he has not performed at the level yet to deserve to be mentioned as one.

Heck he was just traded for Nick Foles and then was shopped very hard by the Eagles to move up for Marriota. Now he wants so much money the Eagles cut off contract extension talks. The guy has 1 nice half of 1 preseason game and his head blows up and he now wants to wait on contract extensions....

I am worried about the Eagles because I feel they have the ability to win some games against teams not ready for the spread offense...Sam Bradford doesn't deserve to cause me any anxiety at this point. He looked erratic in the Ravens game already. He was over throwing open receivers. Some say it was rust....I say he is afraid of another injury and he knew the Ravens weren't going to call off the rush for him.

Yeah the MVP stuff is premature for sure.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
I agree. I hear "The Game Is Different" all the time but I don't really buy into it. Running back by committee is not new. It's been around for a very long time. It's just that in the old days, you actually had FBs that could run the ball and could get yards. You don't have that anymore because now you only use them to block and the occasional pass catch or short yardage play. In the old days, they were effective parts of your offense and almost every team ran, what we call today, a Two Back Offense or RB by Committee if you prefer. Times haven't changed, terminology has changed and most around here are just to young to understand that this has all been done before. I also look at the idea of using a Bell Cow running game and hear it's gone by the boards. Well, no it really hasn't. Last year should be proof to everybody that it hasn't. Murray was exactly that and he lead the league. Levion Bell may be that this year and may well lead the league in rushing. Nothing has changed. It's all been done before. It's just marketing and what most fans don't understand is that it's basically sales 101. Repackage an old idea and sell it as new. That's what we are seeing today IMO.

Yup, and make no mistake about it -- Murray is getting 300 carries in Philly this year, that's bell cow status. If anyone thinks this is a 50/50 deal with Ryan Matthews, you ain't thinking very clearly. I would go so far as to say we were ahead of the curve last year. Because of the prevalence of the passing game in today's NFL, defenses have been focusing on getting players who can cover in space, and going with lighter, faster linebackers and strong safeties who act more like ball-hawing free safeties as a result. So what happens when an offense puts together a road-grading offensive line with a punishing runner? They destroy these lighter, faster defenses. You have the 2014 Cowboys offense. This is all cyclical, if you cater to one style of offense, you become vulnerable to another style. Teams have been so concerned with stopping these high-pace passing attacks, it was just a matter of time before someone saw how vulnerable they have become to a power running game.

VACowboy

Reaction score

No one can predict with certainty whether Bradford will play 16 games any more than they can predict the future health of any other player, but I think it is safe to say that Sammy is probably going to get hit more in 2015 than he ever has before. It's the nature of Kelly's offense.