Troy Aikman on The Ticket

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
No one can predict with certainty whether Bradford will play 16 games any more than they can predict the future health of any other player, but I think it is safe to say that Sammy is probably going to get hit more in 2015 than he ever has before. It's the nature of Kelly's offense.

He probably will take some shots.

I don't hope for an opposing player to get hurt, ever... but if Dallas is getting to him from the start of the game on, he is going to start watching the rush just like he always has. That will really hurt Philly's chances to win.

Now, if he has time to sit back and make some throws he will make some accurate passes, so Dallas can't allow that to happen.

In the preseason he had easy reads because defenses were being pretty vanilla. In real games he is going to hold the ball a little longer and he will be watching the rushers more than in PS.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Troy started his weekly guest appearance on The Ticket today at 7:55 AM CST. Every Thursday.

I didn't get to take notes or pay 100% attention, as I was trying to get ready to run to an appointment.
He seemed a bit critical on the decision not to pay Murray big money. As he said, there were reports that Dallas would have paid Peterson more money than Murray, so why not pay Murray more than they originally offered. I think he was off base on this. Guess he believed the rumors or reports. I

I think he has been smoking something on this, as he said:
If Sam Bradford stays healthy, and it's a big if, that he could be a MVP type player.
Said he talked to Chip Kelley, and he really likes Murray, and they both think he will have a good year. But Aikman questioned the OL a bit for the Eagles, or it sounded as if he did.

There is probably a podcast on it, or soon will be. Maybe on The Ticket's app.

I think he is now crossed into the TV analyst an rating land.

we can all sit and say pay this guy and that guy. coach, GM are worried about over all team, not impact of single player. btw, Murray is not close to Peterson. murray had one good season. and now everyone is talking about him as an all world.

sam Bradford has to prove after 5 years that he can do it. but everyone is looking at preseason games....

VACowboy

Reaction score
Based on mechanics. And he was a rookie with the Rams, who werent very good at the time he was playing; Also, I think his record shows, he cant do it, if he gets pressure................so thats his weakness.

But if he gets time. He can throw the football to any spot of the field; He looked good in preseason...I know "preseason", but he looked strong. Maybe Philly is the perfect system for him? It adds up for me..............

I will be watching to see how that develops....

Bradford's record says to me he's not very accurate and throws a ton of picks, regardless of how pretty he looks. Almost any QB can look great when he sits in a clean pocket. And maybe a return to an up-tempo offense really will resurrect the guy. I'm just going to believe his history until I see something different somewhere other than a preseason game.

jjktkk

Reaction score
Troy's continued obsession with Chip Kelly is bothersome.

Emmitt was better than Murray, but Romo is frankly better than Aikman. I think he equates the two situations wrongly.

Troy's just doing his job, being objective. Under Kelly, Philly's has had back to back 10 won seasons. With Murray and Mathews, Chip now has the type of rbs to thrive in his system, plus Bradford, provided he stays healthy, is a very talented, accurate qb. Philly has a chance to be really good, but so do we.. I can't wait to see our new and improved pass rush get after Bradford.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Yeah, I find it laughable that he is suddenly a preseason MVP favorite but people seem to ignore his actual body of work. Sure he hasn't had a load of talent around him but he hasn't shown much of anything.

I agree. It seems like prognosticators are thinking that Sam Bradford in Chip Kelly's system is different from Sam Bradford in someone else's system. It is like they think Kelly and his scheme will take away all of the problems that Sam showed in the Rams offense.

That is putting a whole lot of faith in a system to take away all of a player's negatives and to just show his positives. I mean, maybe it happens that way but I don't think it will. Sam has plenty of issues to cover up.

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
I agree. I don't know why the original poster suggested Troy must be smoking something. Besides, Troy said IF and that's the operative word. Bradford can't stay healthy. But if he does, he can be dangerous in an offense predicated on the quick release of its quarterback.

I just have doubts about him staying healthy. Once quarterbacks start to have multiple injuries, they seem to compound.

I hate the narrative "if he can stay healthy". That's a ridiculous preposition. It can be said about every team in the NFL. Bradford ain't the 2nd coming of our Lord and Saviour.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I hate the narrative "if he can stay healthy". That's a ridiculous preposition. It can be said about every team in the NFL. Bradford ain't the 2nd coming of our Lord and Saviour.

It could be said about any player or any team. But could be said even more about Bradford than, say, Tom Brady, who never seems to get hurt aside from that one year he was out with an ACL.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
Bradford's record says to me he's not very accurate and throws a ton of picks, regardless of how pretty he looks. Almost any QB can look great when he sits in a clean pocket. And maybe a return to an up-tempo offense really will resurrect the guy. I'm just going to believe his history until I see something different somewhere other than a preseason game.

Ohh yeah. I am not trying to predict one way or another.

But I am not going to let prior situations, determine what he may or may not be able to do int he future. Romo looks pretty too, but he is horrible in the Palyoffs...... Manning and Elway too....

He has probably grown as a person. Wanted a new start. Happy to be healthy. etc etc etc...

He has the talent. He hasd the arm. I only saw highlights when he was with the Rams, and wasnt really paying attention then. Now, I am paying attention. The guy has an Arm!

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
I agree. It seems like prognosticators are thinking that Sam Bradford in Chip Kelly's system is different from Sam Bradford in someone else's system. It is like they think Kelly and his scheme will take away all of the problems that Sam showed in the Rams offense.

That is putting a whole lot of faith in a system to take away all of a player's negatives and to just show his positives. I mean, maybe it happens that way but I don't think it will. Sam has plenty of issues to cover up.

:clap:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Yup, and make no mistake about it -- Murray is getting 300 carries in Philly this year, that's bell cow status. If anyone thinks this is a 50/50 deal with Ryan Matthews, you ain't thinking very clearly. I would go so far as to say we were ahead of the curve last year. Because of the prevalence of the passing game in today's NFL, defenses have been focusing on getting players who can cover in space, and going with lighter, faster linebackers and strong safeties who act more like ball-hawing free safeties as a result. So what happens when an offense puts together a road-grading offensive line with a punishing runner? They destroy these lighter, faster defenses. You have the 2014 Cowboys offense. This is all cyclical, if you cater to one style of offense, you become vulnerable to another style. Teams have been so concerned with stopping these high-pace passing attacks, it was just a matter of time before someone saw how vulnerable they have become to a power running game.

This I don't agree with. I don't think Murray will get 300 in Philly this year. I think they will try to save him a little bit. I don't think he will hold up with that many carries after last year. I think if they try to do that, he will be on the shelf by the 7th game. I think Matthews has a pretty good year in Philly if that OL can run block and from what I've seen, they look like they are probably a better run blocking unit then pass blocking. I think Philly will try to keep him at about 250 carries for the year and I also think that they will give Matthews carries early on. They will want to try and save Murray for the playoffs, should they make it but that's just all a guess on my part. At 250 carries, that's an average of 15 carries a game. Last season, the Eagles rushed around 474 times. You figure a decent amount of those were QB related. So lets say 50 QB rushes, add in 15 carries a game over 16 games for another 240 carries for Murray and that leaves anywhere from 185 to 200 carries for other RBs. That is what I would expect from Philly Offense this year, assuming no injuries and that their OL can actually run block.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Lots of love for Philly...... The games I saw, Bradford has a strong, accurate arm..... Were going to have to get to him.....

And I think we do.:) DLaw, Crawford, Gregory, Hardy, coleman?.... Were going to have to rattle him;

Or break him. I am fine with either. Who am I kidding, I would rather break him. :D

VACowboy

Reaction score

Chip Kelly is way smarter than Bradford's other coaches! Sheesh! Don't you people fricking LISTEN???

/sarc

@your other post...

I never wish for injury to any player on any team, but I hope Bradford and every other Philly QB gets knocked on his earhole every single play.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
This I don't agree with. I don't think Murray will get 300 in Philly this year. I think they will try to save him a little bit. I don't think he will hold up with that many carries after last year. I think if they try to do that, he will be on the shelf by the 7th game. I think Matthews has a pretty good year in Philly if that OL can run block and from what I've seen, they look like they are probably a better run blocking unit then pass blocking. I think Philly will try to keep him at about 250 carries for the year and I also think that they will give Matthews carries early on. They will want to try and save Murray for the playoffs, should they make it but that's just all a guess on my part. At 250 carries, that's an average of 15 carries a game. Last season, the Eagles rushed around 474 times. You figure a decent amount of those were QB related. So lets say 50 QB rushes, add in 15 carries a game over 16 games for another 240 carries for Murray and that leaves anywhere from 185 to 200 carries for other RBs. That is what I would expect from Philly Offense this year, assuming no injuries and that their OL can actually run block.

We'll see. That may be their thinking right now but I think it will wind up being similar to what we saw with the Cowboys last year. They WANT to save him but his talent is so undeniable, it is nearly impossible to take him off the field. Ryan Matthews is a shadow of the runner that Murray is. Murray is a game-changer so if the Eagles want to change the game, he needs to be on the field.

VACowboy

Reaction score
Ohh yeah. I am not trying to predict one way or another.

But I am not going to let prior situations, determine what he may or may not be able to do int he future. Romo looks pretty too, but he is horrible in the Palyoffs...... Manning and Elway too....

He has probably grown as a person. Wanted a new start. Happy to be healthy. etc etc etc...

He has the talent. He hasd the arm. I only saw highlights when he was with the Rams, and wasnt really paying attention then. Now, I am paying attention. The guy has an Arm!

Well, lets hope you're really, really wrong! :D

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
We'll see. That may be their thinking right now but I think it will wind up being similar to what we saw with the Cowboys last year. They WANT to save him but his talent is so undeniable, it is nearly impossible to take him off the field. Ryan Matthews is a shadow of the runner that Murray is. Murray is a game-changer so if the Eagles want to change the game, he needs to be on the field.

I actually think Matthews is a better fit for Chips Offense, then is Murray. I tink Matthews could end up having a really big year and if that happens, it's going to be interesting for Philly. Based on what Murray is making, it's going to create problems for them if Matthews is outproducing Murray and is getting paid much less. As far as what Murray does this year, historically, it's very unlikely that Murray has a great year. It's more likely that he falls off a cliff but anything can happen. I guess we'll see.

VACowboy

Reaction score

I dunno. I think Murray is good, but I'm not sure I'd call him a game-changer. The really interesting thing to me is going to be seeing if Chipper changes his running game from the horizontally oriented scheme he ran with McCoy, and at Oregon, and slams Murray between the tackles.

Hardline

Reaction score
I find the most shocking thing about this article is The Ticket actually talked sports.

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
I think people here want to believe Bradford will not have adequate protection and will go down to injury early this season,,,

Count me out of that group. I don't even like seeing the word discussed.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
I dunno. I think Murray is good, but I'm not sure I'd call him a game-changer. The really interesting thing to me is going to be seeing if Chipper changes his running game from the horizontally oriented scheme he ran with McCoy, and at Oregon, and slams Murray between the tackles.

He better. He will. He's smart enough to know how to use Murray. Heck, that's exactly the reason he let McCoy go -- he was never going to be the physical, between the tackles runner that Murray is. Murray is the perfect fit for Kelly's offense -- he'll spread you out with that fast-paced attack and then gut you with Murray up the middle. I do think we have the talent to handle it (at least when Hardy and McClain get back), but it will be no small task.