Troy Aikman on The Ticket

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
Nobody can rely on that any more than they can rely on hoping he stays healthy. Maybe he makes it 16 games... maybe he doesn't. Dallas just needs to worry about getting to him and effecting his game (which it will with Bradford).

Hit him early, late and everywhere in between and it really won't matter if he's healthy or not.

In other words....just play football and let the "chip Kellys" fall where they may.:starspin:

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Bradford has always been a stud throwing the ball, even in college, the issue is always his health. So its not some great revelation that Troy says Bradford could have an MVP type season if healthy.

As far as Murray is concerned, Troy is not a fan of the RBBC approach and considering he had Emmitt standing behind him all those years you can understand why.

Also, predicting the Eagles to win the division is not going out on a gigantic limb either. Its been over a decade since a team repeated as NFC East Champs, it just doesn't happen. So if we don't repeat, the second best team in the division, which is Philly, is next up. Again, this is not some great revelation here.

Sydla

Reaction score
This morning on Mike & Mike I heard Greeny pick the Eagles because Bradfords preseason success. I almost threw up. Preseason isn't real football and everyone should know that already.

Up here in Philly, they are using preseason as a major indicator. One of their big drive time hosts has been incredulous the last few days that all these power rankings could have the Cowboys ahead of the Eagles. To quote him, "what have the Cowboys done this preseason to warrant that?" Of course he doesn't realize that some teams, Dallas included, don't really put a lot of effort into preseason games. Some like to use those games just to shake some rust off but keep people healthy. That's the Cowboys. Others use the games to fine tune things and get a lot out of those games. That's the Eagles.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I dunno. I think Murray is good, but I'm not sure I'd call him a game-changer. The really interesting thing to me is going to be seeing if Chipper changes his running game from the horizontally oriented scheme he ran with McCoy, and at Oregon, and slams Murray between the tackles.

He actually ran it between the tackles a lot at Oregon. You just don't think that, based on how that offense throws the ball to the outside and everywhere in between. If you think about some of the backs that Oregon has had, Jonathan Stewart, Legarrette Blount, LeMichael James, all good inside runners.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Don't see Bradford as an MVP type player if he stays healthy but maybe comeback player of the year.

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
He better. He will. He's smart enough to know how to use Murray. Heck, that's exactly the reason he let McCoy go -- he was never going to be the physical, between the tackles runner that Murray is. Murray is the perfect fit for Kelly's offense -- he'll spread you out with that fast-paced attack and then gut you with Murray up the middle. I do think we have the talent to handle it (at least when Hardy and McClain get back), but it will be no small task.
...and where is Murray headed up the gut in the middle? Not very far. Or up some blockers backside.

remdak

Reaction score
I am looking forward to 2 things this weekend of football -
1) Watching the Cowboys beat the Giants
2) Watching Matt Ryan torch the Eagles.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Everybody is jumping on the Sam Bradford train. I caught some of his preseason games..... He can throw the football, thats for sure. And they seemed to be clicking.... But thats just preseason;

But most everybody seems to be giving the Cowboys props too....as a team;

Bradford threw 15 passes all pre-season....
The highest QBR last pre-season was Scott Tolzien.
The talk of pre-season at QB was Zach Mettenberger...

Pre-season stats mean less than zero.

Bradford is an accurate short pass guy who can't stay healthy.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I don't think saying Bradford could be a MVP candidate is that off base. Didn't Nick Foles have like 28 touchdowns and 3 int's when Chip got a hold to him his first year? Bradford's a superior QB. But saying "IF" he stays healthy is like saying if I ran a 4.2 and was elusive i'd be in the NFL. Just not happening......

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score

I dont even know his stats. All I am saying is the guy has a strong arm, seems to be accurate and looks good. I suppose thats the reason he did so well in college and why he was drafted #1 and why he is getting paid, and why coaches keep taking a chance on him......

History has shown he cant stay healthy. I think everyone knows that. But if he does, and he gets into the right siutation, i think everybody agrees he will flourish......

Should we give up on Romo becuase he is a great regular season QB, but fails in the big games?

of course not. And you hear Aikman and others preface the statements, with If this, and If that.....

Its more then just his 15 snaps in preseason...... thats for sure; Scouts, those who get paid to make such decisions, think he is worth the gamble every time....

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I dont even know his stats. All I am saying is the guy has a strong arm, seems to be accurate and looks good. I suppose thats the reason he did so well in college and why he was drafted #1 and why he is getting paid, and why coaches keep taking a chance on him......

History has shown he cant stay healthy. I think everyone knows that. But if he does, and he gets into the right siutation, i think everybody agrees he will flourish......

Should we give up on Romo becuase he is a great regular season QB, but fails in the big games?

of course not. And you hear Aikman and others preface the statements, with If this, and If that.....

Its more then just his 15 snaps in preseason...... thats for sure; Scouts, those who get paid to make such decisions, think he is worth the gamble every time....

That's a cool story but it's simply not accurate.
A QB is picked 1st almost every year.
Wanna tell me how great Jamarcus Russell is?

The Rams had given up on Bradford and had few takers. Chip Kelly is a big-time gambler and had no qualms.

The 15 passes in pre-season is his actual total.
The past two seasons he played in a total of 7 games.
He has a career Qb rating not the lower QBR but actual QB rating of 79.
That's basically a Quincy Carter type total.

So, yes, it is about this pre-season and it is insane overrating of a QB in a system that 'can' inflate stats.
BUT like with Foles and everyone else, the inflation has proven VERY temporary at the NFL level.

sideon

Reaction score
The Murray/Peterson argument is flawed because Peterson is a all pro homerun hitter type of RB, Murray is good but not great.

popp1234

Reaction score
I find the most shocking thing about this article is The Ticket actually talked sports.

Yeah, it just shows you that deep down inside, they realize they are suppose to be a sports station.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score

The Rams had given up on Bradford and had few takers. Chip Kelly is a big-time gambler and had no qualms.

So, yes, it is about this pre-season and it is insane overrating of a QB in a system that 'can' inflate stats.
BUT like with Foles and everyone else, the inflation has proven VERY temporary at the NFL level.

Why do you think a QB is picked 1st almost every year? But lets forget about that for now, its pretty obvious; And go back and read Bradfords scouting reports by all the scouts throughout the NFL. Most of them mention the staying healthy concerns.

And, no one wanted that contract, including the Rams, after he spent 2 years on the bench and after 2 ACLs.......But Bradford wasnt budging......would you?

And, there are only a handful of QBs that arent temporary....for one reason or another;

Look, I am not sure what were even debating anymore...

Bradford has a history of failure and sucks? Or , Bradford could potentially be am elite QB int he NFL?

Chippy is taking his shot. Bradford has a higher ceiling then Foles/Sanchez, etc etc...

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Why do you think a QB is picked 1st almost every year? But lets forget about that for now, its pretty obvious; And go back and read Bradfords scouting reports by all the scouts throughout the NFL. Most of them mention the staying healthy concerns.

And, no one wanted that contract, including the Rams, after he spent 2 years on the bench and after 2 ACLs.......But Bradford wasnt budging......would you?

And, there are only a handful of QBs that arent temporary....for one reason or another;

Look, I am not sure what were even debating anymore...

Bradford has a history of failure and sucks? Or , Bradford could potentially be am elite QB int he NFL?

Chippy is taking his shot. Bradford has a higher ceiling then Foles/Sanchez, etc etc...

I am not debating anything.

I made simple statements.
You somehow are disagreeing with facts I guess...

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score

And, no one wanted that contract, including the Rams, after he spent 2 years on the bench and after 2 ACLs.......But Bradford wasnt budgeting.......would you?

And, becuase his skills are in such demand, he got someone to take a chance on him.
I am not debating anything.

I made simple statements.
You somehow are disagreeing with facts I guess...

And what facts have you determined that I am disagreeing with?

T-RO

Reaction score
Troy started his weekly guest appearance on The Ticket today at 7:55 AM CST. Every Thursday.

I didn't get to take notes or pay 100% attention, as I was trying to get ready to run to an appointment.
He seemed a bit critical on the decision not to pay Murray big money. As he said, there were reports that Dallas would have paid Peterson more money than Murray, so why not pay Murray more than they originally offered. I think he was off base on this. Guess he believed the rumors or reports. I

I think he has been smoking something on this, as he said:
If Sam Bradford stays healthy, and it's a big if, that he could be a MVP type player.
Said he talked to Chip Kelley, and he really likes Murray, and they both think he will have a good year. But Aikman questioned the OL a bit for the Eagles, or it sounded as if he did.

There is probably a podcast on it, or soon will be. Maybe on The Ticket's app.

Troy is spot-on as usual. A lot of people around here...and on the national front...have no idea clue whatsoever about Sam Bradford. He's going to be quite good in that offense... He'll be in the top-10 passing ratings.

Meanwhile critics of Chip Kelley are fools.

We absolutely cannot underestimate the Eagles. We are going to have to beat them the Jimmy Johnson way: hit 'em with all we've got.