Recap: Troy Aikman Show 11/16 - This Team vs Romo Teams, Mike McCarthy analysis, Take on Rams status

JustChip

Reaction score
But yes, I'm sure when Garrett looks back on what he did wrong, not stopping the 'big head' syndrome is up there. It started with Wade, but he had a shot to change the culture.
I’d say it started with Jerry. But absolutely Wade fostered that with his “we’ve already won a playoff game” bs. To be fair, Wade’s soft, “players” approach worked to get them the #1 seed because he was the opposite of the authoritarian Parcells. But that soft approach isn’t a formula for long-term success because of human nature.

JustChip

Reaction score
Biggest issue with Romo days wasn't his personal leadership compared to Dak (no doubt though Dak is a much better leader than Romo), it was the cliques propagated by the ownership, coaches and participation by players like Romo. Romo and Witten going on vacation with the owners, basketball games with Garret, etc. It is impossible to build a 'one team' culture with accountability and trust with that approach, and it creates resentment, as well as the 'haves' and 'have nots'. Dak and McCarthy are smart enough to know that. The prior regime thought that stuff was really cool. Really totally stupid when you think all that happened for years and years.
:hammer:

JustChip

Reaction score
Romo and crew enjoyed being famous more than winning. Hated his lackadaisical “
golly gee wiz” persona he carried into the huddle. Romo wasn’t serious about trying to win big games until he realized his career is nearly over.
I don’t think that’s true about Romo not wanting to win. That’s a perception that’s not neccessarily factual. His “if this is the worst thing that happens…..” statement after the Seattle playoff game helped foster that. But what he said was absolutely correct. It’s a game and life, family and faith (if faith is a part of your life) are more imoortant. Duane Thomas said it very well when asked about playing in the ultimate game - if it’s the ultimate game, why do they play it again next year. There’s are posters on here that seemingly get priorities askew when it comes to the Cowboys.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Biggest issue with Romo days wasn't his personal leadership compared to Dak (no doubt though Dak is a much better leader than Romo), it was the cliques propagated by the ownership, coaches and participation by players like Romo. Romo and Witten going on vacation with the owners, basketball games with Garret, etc. It is impossible to build a 'one team' culture with accountability and trust with that approach, and it creates resentment, as well as the 'haves' and 'have nots'. Dak and McCarthy are smart enough to know that. The prior regime thought that stuff was really cool. Really totally stupid when you think all that happened for years and years.

People arguing in here that Garret was a good leader of men completely miss this point. In fact, he was a bad leader because he did not know how to manage team dynamics, and the role he plays in that.

Great point. #1 thing glad to see gone with the new coaching regime. The Garrett Cliques. Thank God McCarthy came in before it could fester into Dak and Zeke.

kramskoi

Reaction score
I’ve been going back and watching Cowboys games from his era. Hate the way Romo carried himself on the field and in the huddle. The difference between winning QBs of that era and Romo is night and day. Without the rose colored glasses this time, I can see better why the NFL media at that time didn’t really respect his game.
You are talking a lot of bunk. Romo is the ONLY reason that Garrett survived 10 years. After the 2007 season the team should've addressed the declining o-line but even after they got the hell beat out of them at Minnesota in the 2009 playoffs the line still wasn't really addressed until 2011 (Tyron Smith). By then the injuries to Romo were beginning to reach a critical mass.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I don’t think that’s true about Romo not wanting to win. That’s a perception that’s not neccessarily factual. His “if this is the worst thing that happens…..” statement after the Seattle playoff game helped foster that. But what he said was absolutely correct. It’s a game and life, family and faith (if faith is a part of your life) are more imoortant. Duane Thomas said it very well when asked about playing in the ultimate game - if it’s the ultimate game, why do they play it again next year. There’s are posters on here that seemingly get priorities askew when it comes to the Cowboys.

A thousand likes sir. To be successful and keep an even keel, players have to realize that while they are going to give it their all to win, success or failure to win a championship doesn't encompass or define them as individuals.
Lord knows we are all put in situations in life where no matter how hard you try to help achieve the team goal, its beyond your control. All you can do is be satisfied you did your best.

johneric8

Reaction score
Romo had a tendency to falter at the worst possible times, which led to a lack of respect from players and fans around the league. I will admit to never feeling at ease with him as our QB although I liked him and his persona. One of the reasons I'm such a huge Dak fan is his leadership and protection of the football.

Wezsh0T

Reaction score
"Stafford throws an INT because he's trying to get the ball to OBJ. There were 2 defenders back there, but Matthew now feels the same pressure that Baker Mayfield did -- I have to get the ball in his hands. It's not good playing QB when you feel pressure to get the ball to one particular player."

This is what makes Amari Cooper an CeeDee Lamb great 1 and 1a players. They are rooting for each other and relatively unselfish for star wideouts. Think TO or Dez, always yelling for the ball. Dak chooses his receiver of the week (whoever the defense is leaving open) and we all feast. One game, it's Coop, the next it's CeeDee, Wilson, Gallup, or Shultz.

Wezsh0T

Reaction score
Romo had a tendency to falter at the worst possible times, which led to a lack of respect from players and fans around the league. I will admit to never feeling at ease with him as our QB although I liked him and his persona. One of the reasons I'm such a huge Dak fan is his leadership and protection of the football.
Dak is steady Eddie. I watch him at the end of games, and he is just a cool customer. We've RARELY seen him get rattled. I think there may have been a couple of plays here and there that looked rushed.

Trendnet

Reaction score
If you’re blaming Romo you’re only paying attention to the macro and totally ignoring the micro.

You have to be as casual of a fan as it gets to think Romo was ever a problem. He was an answer.

Truth -

This thread is full of anti-Romo posters who only see the basics of the game and don't really understand it all. Surface level fans - they like uniform colors and cheerleaders, but have no real understanding of the game.

Shame really.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I find it astounding that Aikman talked about so many things..on and on...but makes a brief comment that complements Dak.
Then of course, someone here finds some way, some how, to disrespect Romo.

It never fails

Just enjoy the here and now, people

JustChip

Reaction score
"Stafford throws an INT because he's trying to get the ball to OBJ. There were 2 defenders back there, but Matthew now feels the same pressure that Baker Mayfield did -- I have to get the ball in his hands. It's not good playing QB when you feel pressure to get the ball to one particular player."

This is what makes Amari Cooper an CeeDee Lamb great 1 and 1a players. They are rooting for each other and relatively unselfish for star wideouts. Think TO or Dez, always yelling for the ball. Dak chooses his receiver of the week (whoever the defense is leaving open) and we all feast. One game, it's Coop, the next it's CeeDee, Wilson, Gallup, or Shultz.
Michael Irvin wanted the ball as much as Dez or TO. The difference was that Irvin knew he was dependant on Troy to get it. He’s talked about making Troy comfortable with him rather than ranting.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I agree with what Aikman said about the Rams.
They may have made one move too many, chemistry-wise.

Guess we'll see after their bye week.

Go Cowboys

DFWJC

Reaction score
I totally disagree. I guarantee Romo wanted to win just as bad as anyone. Your description of his persona is just a cheap shot.
This is a guy who played with broken ribs and a punctured lung.....and won.
Played for years with blindingly painful back issues.
Anyone who ever questions his desire has lost his mind. Question other stuff, but not his obsession with winning.

Anyway...old news.
Dude is long gone.

It's Dak's and the current Cowboys' time now and I want a Super Bowl
:flagwave:

12+88=7

Reaction score
BS.

Romo started his starting career surrounded by very good talent in 2006. His 2nd year as a starter, he had 13 Pro Bowlers (a Cowboys franchise record) playing alongside him, so let's stop with the BS talk that Romo never had a good team around him, especially during his early years. That's just a flat out lie.

The guy simply went Hollywood as soon as he became the starter in 2006, and he went to Cabo during the 2007 playoffs (who in the heck does that???). Even Troy was upset about that and mentioned how that type of thinking will only hurt the team, which it did. By the time Romo truly took the game seriously years later, his body was breaking down due to injury after injury.

Those teams had good offensive talent. But except for 2009, Dallas never had a good enough defense to put them over the top.

Had Dallas played like the 2009 defense over Romo's tenure Dallas would have won because they always had enough offense.

It's never about one player. Teams win in this league.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Those teams had good offensive talent. But except for 2009, Dallas never had a good enough defense to put them over the top.

Had Dallas played like the 2009 defense over Romo's tenure Dallas would have won because they always had enough offense.

It's never about one player. Teams win in this league.
Take a look at Romo's playoff stats from his early years. He didn't do so well. Clearly, it was not the Defense that came up short in those games. It was the Offense.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
BS.

Romo started his starting career surrounded by very good talent in 2006. His 2nd year as a starter, he had 13 Pro Bowlers (a Cowboys franchise record) playing alongside him, so let's stop with the BS talk that Romo never had a good team around him, especially during his early years. That's just a flat out lie.

The guy simply went Hollywood as soon as he became the starter in 2006, and he went to Cabo during the 2007 playoffs (who in the heck does that???). Even Troy was upset about that and mentioned how that type of thinking will only hurt the team, which it did. By the time Romo truly took the game seriously years later, his body was breaking down due to injury after injury.

Learn to read buddy. I said post Parcells. Had Parcells stayed I’m sure we’d be not talking about how Romo couldn’t win the big one.

Also, “going Hollywood” doesn’t even mean anything. Was Romo acting? Did he give up going to practice, getting better because he was focusing on a movie career?

Romo had twenty five fourth quarter comeback victories. He was hardly a choker and was a leader on the field.

Leadership...chemistry...(or their lack thereof) are all just buzzwords that aren't given more import than they when victories or losses happen.

And going to Cabo had zero to do with the loss. That’s just talking head bull**** that was given as an impotent reason post facto.

You Romo haters are so annoying. Romo’s lack of success has nothing to do with Dak’s existence. At all. A SB victory is an ORGANIZATIONAL effort, not just a player effort. Plenty of average QBs, e.g., Trent Dilfer, Mark Rypien, Doug Williams, etc., have won SBs, and a number of great ones, e.g., Dan Marino, Dan Fouts, etc., haven't.

Last edited: