News: Troy Aikman: What disappointed the Cowboys players the most in the Jerry Jones-Jimmy Johnson split

CCBoy

Reaction score
Troy Aikman: What disappointed the Cowboys players the most in the Jerry Jones-Jimmy Johnson split
http://sportsday.***BANNED-URL***/d...inted-cowboys-jerry-jones-jimmy-johnson-split

As the starting quarterback, Cowboys great Troy Aikman had a front-row seat for the drama
between Cowboys owner Jerry Jones and former coach Jimmy Johnson.

Recently, Jones admitted that he feels he "probably should have had a little more tolerance with Jimmy Johnson."

In an interview with ESPN New York's The Michael Kay Show on Thursday, Aikman was asked to weigh in on Jones' recent mea culpa.

"Based on the reaction that's been made to Jerry's comments, my guess is that he regrets having said that," Aikman said. "I think [Jones has] been reluctant to really take much responsibility for what happened during that time. And I think it was both those guys. I don't think Jimmy was in it for the long haul."

The Aikman got into the part of the breakup that really stung for the players at the time.

"I think the disappointing thing for us as players was that we were constantly told by Jimmy right around Pro Bowl time -- when guys wouldn't make the Pro Bowl that though they were worthy -- Jimmy would constantly harp about the team atmosphere and doing it for the team, and 'Hey, as long as we all hang together and the team has success, there will be enough credit to go around for everybody.' And we kind of lived with that," Aikman said.

"I think that If you look back on my career with Emmitt [Smith], and Michael [Irvin] and [Jay] Novachek and the others, there was no animosity among us. There was no fighting for headlines or who was getting the credit. And yet the two leaders of our organization, they couldn't figure that part out."

Aikman was also asked if the Cowboys could have won more Super Bowls had Jones and Johnson been able to get along and stay together.

"It's disappointing because we were right in the middle of a good run," Aikman said. "We still went on and had some success, but I don't know if we would have won more Super Bowls, but I do feel very strongly that we would have been knocking on the door each year. I think it would have been a lot like what we've seen from the New England Patriots. Maybe not extended that long, but they're constantly in the hunt and in the picture in the playoffs with a chance to maybe win it all. And I think that run for us would have been extended much longer."

CCBoy

Reaction score
I thought the most disappointing part for the players was when they were told their coach was being replaced by an idiot

Explain how he then had the highest percentage of wins over all other Cowboys coaches?

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Explain how he then had the highest percentage of wins over all other Cowboys coaches?
that means nothing cc, he took over a team that had just won 2 SB in a row!
I assume we are talking about switzer.
He may be the only coach to ever be in that situation.
2 in a row are rare, and usually that coach is still there lol for the following year.

CCBoy

Reaction score
LOL...what?

If someone builds a successful business and then leaves it to you after he leaves that doesn't make you a success.

Common sense, man. Come on...

Oh, I'm rich and immediately sell it to do what I want...:)

CCBoy

Reaction score
Yep, he was integral
He was effective for three of the four seasons, and then quit when all the injuries starting to rob the team. But that was pride by Switzer. Switzer wasn't a robber barren.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Are you serious about that lame statement?

His winning percentage was the highest of ALL Dallas coaches...no matter if one gives credit to his father or mother, for that matter.

He was the Head Coach, and actually kept a roster and set of coaches that he didn't put together for three straight winning seasons. Care to go into the actual details of HIS time at the head of the franchise?

Now tell me that you just don't care and move on then...that was what it was as well. I'm not in a popularity contest here.

You can have your lame right back...

fortdick

Reaction score
His winning percentage was the highest of ALL Dallas coaches...no matter if one gives credit to his father or mother, for that matter.

He was the Head Coach, and actually kept a roster and set of coaches that he didn't put together for three straight winning seasons. Care to go into the actual details of HIS time at the head of the franchise?

Now tell me that you just don't care and move on then...that was what it was as well. I'm not in a popularity contest here.

You can have your lame right back...

Man, you are screaming in the wind. No one wants to believe anything except what they want to believe. Barry Switzer held the team together after after Jimmy got his panties in a bunch and Jerry decided to show who was boss. Didn't matter a bit that Jimmy went on to be a loser elsewhere and left coaching while he still had a reputation as a good coach. Herschal Walker made that team. Switzer did a good job in a bad situation, but no one wants to give him any credit because he didn't advertise himself the way Jimmy did.

Switzer's college record compared to Jimmy's:

Barry 157-29-4, 3 national championships and 15 years of 16 in the top 20
Jimmy 81-34-3, one national championship and 5 years out of 10 in the top 20

Barry is a legend in Oklahoma, and Florida doesn't even remember Jimmy.

fortdick

Reaction score
LOL...what?

If someone builds a successful business and then leaves it to you after he leaves that doesn't make you a success.

Common sense, man. Come on...

And if someone sells you a business that is about to go under and you make it a success what are you?