News: Troy Aikman: What disappointed the Cowboys players the most in the Jerry Jones-Jimmy Johnson split

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Woulda coulda shoulda. Jimmy preached an egalitarian spirit but clearly was more like Animal Farm. He was fine as long he was first pig.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Barry couldn't draft or evaluate talent at the NFL level. I didn't notice too many teams knocking on his door after he was fired from Dallas.

Barry enjoys a high winning percentage because Jerry was merciful and fired Barry after his first losing season.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
His winning percentage was the highest of ALL Dallas coaches...no matter if one gives credit to his father or mother, for that matter.

He was the Head Coach, and actually kept a roster and set of coaches that he didn't put together for three straight winning seasons. Care to go into the actual details of HIS time at the head of the franchise?

Now tell me that you just don't care and move on then...that was what it was as well. I'm not in a popularity contest here.

You can have your lame right back...

except that numerous players have said aloud they basically won without a head coach during that time and that the players made it all go.

he and the guy who hired him wrecked the roster, turned the locker room over to deion sanders and couldn't control the players who needed to get control of their lives.

it was like getting a ferrari on your 16th birthday and because you didn't change the oil you blow the engine by your 18th birthday.

my big regret is that Parcels didn't reach out to jerry in 97. The team would have still had a window to win in and I know emit, troy, irvin, moose etc would have loved parcells and sanders would not have and he would have been removed. oh well.

DallasCowboys2080

Reaction score
With Jimmy it was catching lighting in a bottle. Herschel walker trade plus a coach that is hyper familiar with the pool of college players and no salary cap and an owner who will spend top dollar. The stars aligned. Planets aligned. Its a super rare moment. Jerry n Jimmy both needed each other. Binary star system that exploded into each other.

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
With Jimmy it was catching lighting in a bottle. Herschel walker trade plus a coach that is hyper familiar with the pool of college players and no salary cap and an owner who will spend top dollar. The stars aligned. Planets aligned. Its a super rare moment. Jerry n Jimmy both needed each other. Binary star system that exploded into each other.
Shhhh dont talk like that around here. It was all jimmy okay?

CCBoy

Reaction score
Barry couldn't draft or evaluate talent at the NFL level. I didn't notice too many teams knocking on his door after he was fired from Dallas.

Barry enjoys a high winning percentage because Jerry was merciful and fired Barry after his first losing season.

No, Barry resigned...due his on sense of integrity.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Troy Aikman: What disappointed the Cowboys players the most in the Jerry Jones-Jimmy Johnson split
http://sportsday.***BANNED-URL***/d...inted-cowboys-jerry-jones-jimmy-johnson-split

As the starting quarterback, Cowboys great Troy Aikman had a front-row seat for the drama
between Cowboys owner Jerry Jones and former coach Jimmy Johnson.

Recently, Jones admitted that he feels he "probably should have had a little more tolerance with Jimmy Johnson."

In an interview with ESPN New York's The Michael Kay Show on Thursday, Aikman was asked to weigh in on Jones' recent mea culpa.

"Based on the reaction that's been made to Jerry's comments, my guess is that he regrets having said that," Aikman said. "I think [Jones has] been reluctant to really take much responsibility for what happened during that time. And I think it was both those guys. I don't think Jimmy was in it for the long haul."

The Aikman got into the part of the breakup that really stung for the players at the time.

"I think the disappointing thing for us as players was that we were constantly told by Jimmy right around Pro Bowl time -- when guys wouldn't make the Pro Bowl that though they were worthy -- Jimmy would constantly harp about the team atmosphere and doing it for the team, and 'Hey, as long as we all hang together and the team has success, there will be enough credit to go around for everybody.' And we kind of lived with that," Aikman said.

"I think that If you look back on my career with Emmitt [Smith], and Michael [Irvin] and [Jay] Novachek and the others, there was no animosity among us. There was no fighting for headlines or who was getting the credit. And yet the two leaders of our organization, they couldn't figure that part out."

Aikman was also asked if the Cowboys could have won more Super Bowls had Jones and Johnson been able to get along and stay together.

"It's disappointing because we were right in the middle of a good run," Aikman said. "We still went on and had some success, but I don't know if we would have won more Super Bowls, but I do feel very strongly that we would have been knocking on the door each year. I think it would have been a lot like what we've seen from the New England Patriots. Maybe not extended that long, but they're constantly in the hunt and in the picture in the playoffs with a chance to maybe win it all. And I think that run for us would have been extended much longer."

No doubt..Troy.

Jerrah at his best.

We've never recovered from that split.

DallasCowboys2080

Reaction score

"Imagine an aquarium containing a fish. Imagine also that you are unable to see the aquarium directly and your knowledge about it and what it contains comes from two television cameras, one directed at the aquarium's front and the other directed at its side. As you stare at the two television monitors, you might assume that the fish on each of the screens are separate entities. After all, because the cameras are set at different angles, each of the images will be slightly different. But as you continue to watch the two fish, you will eventually become aware that there is a certain relationship between them. When one turns, the other also makes a slightly different but corresponding turn; when one faces the front, the other always faces toward the side. If you remain unaware of the full scope of the situation, you might even conclude that the fish must be instantaneously communicating with one another, but this is clearly not the case. This, says Bohm, is precisely what is going on between the subatomic particles in Aspect's experiment."

jrumann59

Reaction score

Every seems to forget that in 94 the salary cap era started, yes if Jimmy would have stayed the team probably would have had better talent waiting in the wings, but expecting to hit on rooks and 2nd year guys to replace pro bowl starters that were walking because the team could only afford to keep the nucleus together. If Jimmy never left yeah the Gailey experiement would not have happened, Campo years probably not but I think even if everything was peachy Jimmy would have left by the early 2000's

CCBoy

Reaction score

No, Barry resigned...due his on sense of integrity.
Whenever I think of integrity, I think of people who "resign" after their first losing season.

Yea, if one really enjoys sticking his own nose in the air...look, Switzer at heart, was an old country boy. He didn't want to replace Jimmy Johnson from the start. He arrived in Dallas and wanted to attempt to bring the two - Jerry and Jimmy - back together and talk them through things...but Jimmy had already left town. Then, is when he went ahead and came to the assistance of Jerry. They had already been friends, coach/player, for many years. No, Barry had a conscience and felt the decline in the losing season, was his fault...so he resigned.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
The Cowboys players, to a man, were forced to see their head coach and acting GM disappear. Tough blow for any team to withstand. To their credit, they returned and managed another Super Bowl win but the decline in coaching and drafting ultimately was too much to overcome.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yup. If Jimmy would of stuck around he would of continued to draft the right way.

Which means nothing. Do you really think Jimmy would still be here? He would have retired, then stayed out a year, then take the Dolphins job after Shula retired regardless.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pretty much this is dead on.. Jimmy and his crew knew how to draft

When you have as many picks as they had, it's hard to mess it up...Jimmy missed on as many as he hit, and some of the ones he hit, he got lucky to get them. He tried to trade twice to get a LB before finally trading to take Emmitt, because he was the next on the board and they needed a RB.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys players, to a man, were forced to see their head coach and acting GM disappear. Tough blow for any team to withstand. To their credit, they returned and managed another Super Bowl win but the decline in coaching and drafting ultimately was too much to overcome.

Add in the salary cap starting too, tore the team apart more than anything else. And then it haunted them for the next 15 years before Jason started getting rid of those high overpaid aging players.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
What is amazing to me, and hurts the most as a fan, is they have a chance to make history and these 2 guys put their own egos ahead of the players and fans. You win 2 in a row, and you cant put aside your differences for one or 2 years to chase history? That is some serious egos, on both their parts.

No one sacrificed their stats more for team success than Aikman, he deserved better.