News: Troy Aikman: What disappointed the Cowboys players the most in the Jerry Jones-Jimmy Johnson split

UTmodisette

Reaction score
There is no doubt that Dallas would have been better over the long haul, as the drafting fell off a bit, and obviously the coaching went from an advantage to a disadvantage. That being said I think the 5 super bowl proclamation is a bit much. Dallas' championship odds really went down south because of injuries. I think Dallas' championship window was from 92-96. So I guess it's possible that Dallas does the unthinkable and wins 5 in a row, but it more than likely would have been 4 in 5 years.

MagicMan

Reaction score
I do agree that Dallas would have at least won 4 in a row......and separated themselves from all the superteams like the Steelers, 49ers and Pats. They would have been the greatest team of all time in the SB era when none have won more than 2 straight. Of course this assumes not only Johnson would have stayed, but Wannstedt and Turner-----might have been tough to keep.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Man, you are screaming in the wind. No one wants to believe anything except what they want to believe. Barry Switzer held the team together after after Jimmy got his panties in a bunch and Jerry decided to show who was boss. Didn't matter a bit that Jimmy went on to be a loser elsewhere and left coaching while he still had a reputation as a good coach. Herschal Walker made that team. Switzer did a good job in a bad situation, but no one wants to give him any credit because he didn't advertise himself the way Jimmy did.

Switzer's college record compared to Jimmy's:

Barry 157-29-4, 3 national championships and 15 years of 16 in the top 20
Jimmy 81-34-3, one national championship and 5 years out of 10 in the top 20

Barry is a legend in Oklahoma, and Florida doesn't even remember Jimmy.

Trust me, Canes fans remember Jimmy.