Troy Aikman: Yards are not what we should be looking at

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I hear ya, but he's going to be good. One of the highest rated QBs to come out of high school, and these were his first two starts. Threw some picks, but Mahomes threw a ton of them, too, his early days in college.
Great football name. And he should be good in one of the best offenses in the country traditionally.

I’m afraid Mahommes is going to be the new comparison many are going to want to use now in upcoming talents.

You know. I don’t have a lot of memories of Mahomes at Tech. All of those QB’s they had in those pass happy run and shoots kind of runs together on me.

I recall being surprised Chiefs selected him in 1st round. He’s obviously a great talent but he’s benefitted going to a playoff ready team.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Today on The Ticket.

"NFL is now like the NBA. It doesn't matter what you do all game, it comes down to the last 5 minutes."

"400 yards is offense is not a a big deal anymore. Throwing for 400 yards isn't that hard to do."

True.

Mos every team comes back from big deficits. Used to be rare in Troy's day.

He added that CBA negotiations these days bring the owners more money and players less practice time, and it shows.

Wasn't criticizing Dak or quarterbacks in general, but was inferring that the league as a whole had changedichanged and is less disciplined.
Kinda like what Romo did, stacking up meaningless yards whilst losing games.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
My interest continues to wane. I watched The Last Kingdom on Sunday night instead of Saints-Packers. That would have been impossible a few years ago.
I was flicking over too watching Filthy Rich debut with my wife in living room. Lol

I’m so used to watching multiple games at the same time in my cave on multiple TV’s on Sat and Sunday that the single games on Thur and Mon can’t keep my attention.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Um...the point you said he was making is the point I was trying to tear down.

It absolutely can matter, regardless of what you do "late."

The entire game matters as a whole. Not just the end, not just the beginning, but all 60 minutes.

Sometimes, the team plays well enough early that no matter how bad they are late, they'll win. Sometimes, they have to play better late to make up for poor play early. Sometimes it's back and forth, and sometimes it's good, bad, or meh all the way through.

"Late" is not some special portion of the game where points are worth more.

I’ll trust Troy over Kevinicus. And you are wrong. Yes a whole game counts but in the end, whether you are a QB or a D that needs a stop, etc the last 5 is where it is won. If your D plays great and shuts down a team to 14 pts for a majority of the game but then lets them walk down the field In the last 2 minutes and win, those other quarters don’t matter. Same at QB. Dak can throw for 450 yrds and 3 TDs but in the last 5 min he throws 2 costly interceptions while in scoring position what do you think matters? It’s about nut cutting time and being under pressure. That is the point!

Philmonroe

Reaction score
That's from spending too much time in the Dak forums!!!!
Maybe but I don't think saying he's on the same level as those qb's I mentioned means I dislike Dak for those lazy online only accusations reasons. I dislike Dak because I don't think he's the one. I look at him same way KC looked at Smith. He's ok but as soon as we get a chance to potentially get better we have to do it.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
The differential in turnovers last year didn’t result in much of a differential in team wins.

Yes.. which is why you simply cannot look at any one stat as the end all be all in the game of football. There are simply too many variables. Tampa's defense was WAAAAY better than than ours at generating turnovers. They forced 28 to our 17 last year. Unfortunately for them Winston and Co turned it over a whopping FORTY ONE TIMES!! If Dak was on that team they probably go 13-3. Winston lost them so many games last year it wasn't even funny. But in his defense their offensive line has been horrible since they drafted him, as Brady is finding out this year.

kskboys

Reaction score
Maybe but I don't think saying he's on the same level as those qb's I mentioned means I dislike Dak for those lazy online only accusations reasons. I dislike Dak because I don't think he's the one. I look at him same way KC looked at Smith. He's ok but as soon as we get a chance to potentially get better we have to do it.
Oh, I know, I was just yankin' yer chain.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’ll trust Troy over Kevinicus. And you are wrong. Yes a whole game counts but in the end, whether you are a QB or a D that needs a stop, etc the last 5 is where it is won. If your D plays great and shuts down a team to 14 pts for a majority of the game but then lets them walk down the field In the last 2 minutes and win, those other quarters don’t matter. Same at QB. Dak can throw for 450 yrds and 3 TDs but in the last 5 min he throws 2 costly interceptions while in scoring position what do you think matters? It’s about nut cutting time and being under pressure. That is the point!
I thought Jimmy had a pretty sound evaluation and perspective of Dak a couple weeks ago too.

kskboys

Reaction score
Yes.. which is why you simply cannot look at any one stat as the end all be all in the game of football. There are simply too many variables. Tampa's defense was WAAAAY better than than ours at generating turnovers. They forced 28 to our 17 last year. Unfortunately for them Winston and Co turned it over a whopping FORTY ONE TIMES!! If Dak was on that team they probably go 13-3. Winston lost them so many games last year it wasn't even funny. But in his defense their offensive line has been horrible since they drafted him, as Brady is finding out this year.
Winston's season was by far the worst 5,000 yard passing season I have ever witnessed. And there's only been around what 6 or 8 of those?

links18

Reaction score
You know I hate stats.

The only ones I pay attention to are:
  • turnover ratio
  • 3rd down efficiency on offense and defense
  • red zone conversion rate

What are our respective 3rd down numbers?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I didn’t watch many Tampa games so I couldn’t say.

But hes warming the bench now which prob says enough.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
This PI call crapp is simply getting out of hand. Cost us majorly, and gave BUFF the game yesterday, and both were bad calls.

I've said for years that there are are two sets of rules for receivers in the NFL. One for everybody else and then one for Dallas. Even in this last game on the play where they picked up the PI flag on Flowers against Gallup because the ball was tipped they conveniently ignored the fact that there was contact 10 yards down the field. And the "he pushed him out of bounds call" against Jaylon on Olson. Olson ran 5 steps after the push before going out of bounds and he was running in that direction to begin with. Allowing that catch to stand was horse bleep as was the PI call against Carr. That was just two guys jockeying for position. Hell the tight end ran INTO Carr and the rule clearly states that a defender has as much right to go after the ball as the receiver. Both guys moved toward where the throw was going. Should have been left at no call.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If Rodgers keeps doing what he's doing, he's moved back into first 3.

However, I agree w/ you, except that I'd say the next 4-15 are muddled.
Im not sure with his history, experience and resume I wouldn’t put him higher. I’d have no problem at #1. He seems to have turned a new leaf with their HC. And they shored up their defense.

I understand Mahomes Is the second coming and deservedly so but Rogers has been consistently up there so long. They were right there last year and could have easily been them in SB.

I’d call them the favorites right now in NFC. And in easier division than the West could post best record which Lambeau even without fans is a tough place to win in January.

kskboys

Reaction score
Im not sure with his history, experience and resume I wouldn’t put him higher. I’d have no problem at #1. He seems to have turned a new leaf with their HC. And they shored up their defense.

I understand Mahomes Is the second coming and deservedly so but Rogers has been consistently up there so long. They were right there last year and could have easily been them in SB.

I’d call them the favorites right now in NFC. And in easier division than the West could post best record which Lambeau even without fans is a tough place to win in January.
At present, the top 3 can be put in any order.

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
Today on The Ticket.

"NFL is now like the NBA. It doesn't matter what you do all game, it comes down to the last 5 minutes."

"400 yards is offense is not a a big deal anymore. Throwing for 400 yards isn't that hard to do."

True.

Mos every team comes back from big deficits. Used to be rare in Troy's day.

He added that CBA negotiations these days bring the owners more money and players less practice time, and it shows.

Wasn't criticizing Dak or quarterbacks in general, but was inferring that the league as a whole had changedichanged and is less disciplined.

During the off season some talking head of ESPN or NFL Network, I forget who, said "Dak had the greatest season in Cowboys history, there is no denying that"
Clearly an example of giving total yards passed way too much weight.

He missed passing Romo by 1 yard (2012) and had more td's and fewer ints that Romo when he had 4,903. So I guess this pundit was just looking at these two seasons. Oddly both seasons were in years the Boys went 8-8

I am not bashing Prescott. I think we can win it all with Prescott. But getting giddy over total yards is just silly. It is actually a sign that something is going wrong. Same with qb 1 yard sneaks for td's, too many of those means you are not executing properly.

I think Dak is a top ten qb in the league but sometimes the fans use the wrong numbers to get excited about.

kskboys

Reaction score
During the off season some talking head of ESPN or NFL Network, I forget who, said "Dak had the greatest season in Cowboys history, there is no denying that"
Clearly an example of giving total yards passed way too much weight.

He missed passing Romo by 1 yard (2012) and had more td's and fewer ints that Romo when he had 4,903. So I guess this pundit was just looking at these two seasons. Oddly both seasons were in years the Boys went 8-8

I am not bashing Prescott. I think we can win it all with Prescott. But getting giddy over total yards is just silly. It is actually a sign that something is going wrong. Same with qb 1 yard sneaks for td's, too many of those means you are not executing properly.

I think Dak is a top ten qb in the league but sometimes the fans use the wrong numbers to get excited about.
That was not close to the greatest season by a Cowboys QB.

cern

Reaction score
troy likes to keep himself relevant. all he's really saying is that the way football is played today isn't the same as it was 25-30 years ago when he was a star. and for that, i am happy.