Troy Aikman: Yards are not what we should be looking at

erod

Reaction score
This is not a logically sound argument.

Yes, the entirety of the game matters. You can't just pick out one game where they played poor early and good late and won and say, see, the end is what matters.
You can also find games where teams play well early and poor late and still win. Would you be consistent and say the last 5 minutes is not where the game was won, but instead, it's the first quarter?

If not for the onside kick...would it have been the last 5 minutes, or the first quarter that mattered?
If this isn't plain to you, we can't help you see it. You're on an island of one here.

What you do when it matter most defines people in every profession. Can you kill that speech in front of the entire company, or only in front of the mirror? It's not whether you can do it or not. Can you do it when it matters most?

Kevinicus

Reaction score
If this isn't plain to you, we can't help you see it. You're on an island of one here.

What you do when it matter most defines people in every profession. Can you kill that speech in front of the entire company, or only in front of the mirror? It's not whether you can do it or not. Can you do it when it matters most?

"when it matters most"

SMH what a terrible analogy. Seriously? Come on, man. Really?

The points in the first quarter matter. They're worth just as much as at the end.

You're proving my point about the ridiculousness of the way people think about this.

This is just like the stupid when to go for 2 points question from last week.

People think something FEELS like it should be true, but there is no logic behind it.

gongjr

Reaction score
Forget yards, but can we just play consistent football. Just stop with turnovers and untimely penalties and just play a clean football game. Really, not much else matters until we can do that consistently. Then after that, yes we can talk bout how little yards matter.

erod

Reaction score
"when it matters most"

SMH what a terrible analogy. Seriously? Come on, man. Really?

The points in the first quarter matter. They're worth just as much as at the end.

You're proving my point about the ridiculousness of the way people think about this.

This is just like the stupid when to go for 2 points question from last week.

People think something FEELS like it should be true, but there is no logic behind it.
No, you're digging yourself into a hole.

So you think an at-bat in the first inning is the same as the 9th inning down three runs?

You think taking the last shot to win a game is the same as one in the first quarter?

You think a field goal in the first quarter is the same as the one to win the game?

Panic or poise.

That defines people.

Always.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tell that to the Dak slobberers who think he should be paid 800 million a year based solely on stats.
According to Forbes, the highest paid professional athlete for 2020 is Roger Federer at $106 million.

Your exaggeration is nearly eight times larger.

Has there ever been a post or thread created, by a member emphasizing Prescott's importance as an NFL and Dallas Cowboys quarterback, pertaining to statistics, etc., that remotely comes close to proclaiming he is EIGHT times better than... anything? I would enjoy reading that equally, comparably, grotesque exaggeration--if it exists.

Who thinks anyone would be paid $800 million? A year? Richie Rich???

johneric8

Reaction score
Wilson, Rodgers and Mahomes. Best three by a long way.
Yes, but even those three, including Brees need great coaching and an even better supporting case to win big games and potential super bowls.
If Rogers and Wilson were so great, they would be in the super bowl or close every year, but instead, both of have many losing seasons..
Qb play matters, but team is #1.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
I'm objectively not wrong. Giving more weight to the last 5 minutes is just recency bias.

You can say that and I’m cool with it...I’m not against Dak btw....I’m just saying that there is more pressure in that part of the game, where “clutch” is often brought up, so if a person or unit fails in those moments more often than not, that will be their rep.

zerofill

Reaction score
He is almost there. His body of work is impressive but to call him great, maybe if he repeats last year. He and Wilson are Head shoulders above the rest of the younger QBs in the league

Destroyed the Ravens D.... that is no small feat.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
No, you're digging yourself into a hole.

So you think an at-bat in the first inning is the same as the 9th inning down three runs?

You think taking the last shot to win a game is the same as one in the first quarter?

You think a field goal in the first quarter is the same as the one to win the game?

Panic or poise.

That defines people.

Always.

Thank you. That last part is what I’ve been trying to explain. No matter how objective you are when a game is on the line, a guy can put up or fold or a D unit can shut it down or let them drive. It creates a reality of what you are made of in crunch time

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
For the "dAk iSn'T a WiNnEr" crowd, courtesy of Marcus Mosher....

This was his OL when he got sacked on the final drive. Knight gets beat one-on-one, Connor Williams literally doesn't even make contact when he comes over to help, Dak has a defender in his lap on a 3 man rush in about 2 seconds.

Then when he threw that pick on the next play, here's his blocking. Another DE gets inside of Joe Looney and turns him around, defender all over Dak on another 3 man rush. Look at Looney favoring his leg or ankle too - he shouldn't even be out there, but the Cowboys OL straight-up just ran out of bodies.

I don't even care about the pick here - if Dak throws this ball away, he just lines back up to try the same throw again on 4th and 14 with 7 seconds left.

"wHy iS dAk cHeCkInG dOwN" - when your OL can't even hold off a 3 man pass rush for 3 seconds, you have absolutely zero ability to get receivers downfield.

I don't see how Dak's at fault here. He got let down at the last minute by a ruined OL.

People aren't being honest with themselves...Dak was never going to win if his line can't block 3 guys.

Creeper

Reaction score
You are what your record says you are......Bill Parcells.

Dak Prescott 9 -7.....10-6....8-8.. ....Hasn't beaten a team with a winning record since forever.....baby!

He beat the Rams and Eagles last year who both finished with winning records.

John813

Reaction score
According to Forbes, the highest paid professional athlete for 2020 is Roger Federer at $106 million.

Your exaggeration is nearly eight times larger.

Has there ever been a post or thread created, by a member emphasizing Prescott's importance as an NFL and Dallas Cowboys quarterback, pertaining to statistics, etc., that remotely comes close to proclaiming he is EIGHT times better than... anything? I would enjoy reading that equally, comparably, grotesque exaggeration--if it exists.

Who thinks anyone would be paid $800 million? A year? Richie Rich???

I think I should be paid $800 million. I like turtles.

Creeper

Reaction score
For the "dAk iSn'T a WiNnEr" crowd, courtesy of Marcus Mosher....

This was his OL when he got sacked on the final drive. Knight gets beat one-on-one, Connor Williams literally doesn't even make contact when he comes over to help, Dak has a defender in his lap on a 3 man rush in about 2 seconds.

Then when he threw that pick on the next play, here's his blocking. Another DE gets inside of Joe Looney and turns him around, defender all over Dak on another 3 man rush. Look at Looney favoring his leg or ankle too - he shouldn't even be out there, but the Cowboys OL straight-up just ran out of bodies.

I don't even care about the pick here - if Dak throws this ball away, he just lines back up to try the same throw again on 4th and 14 with 7 seconds left.

"wHy iS dAk cHeCkInG dOwN" - when your OL can't even hold off a 3 man pass rush for 3 seconds, you have absolutely zero ability to get receivers downfield.

I don't see how Dak's at fault here. He got let down at the last minute by a ruined OL.

The first play was just horrible blocking by Knight and Williams. The 2nd play was probably more about Looney and Martin playing out of position for the first time. But yes, not being able to protect Dak against a 3 man rush was very bad.

Swagger

Reaction score
Yes, but even those three, including Brees need great coaching and an even better supporting case to win big games and potential super bowls.
If Rogers and Wilson were so great, they would be in the super bowl or close every year, but instead, both of have many losing seasons..
Qb play matters, but team is #1.
I agree team is #1 but those guys are the top 3 for me at the moment.

Rodgers really hasn't had a lot of help since he got a ring. Poor coaching and some dreadful teams especially weak defenses have given him next to zero chance. The year he threw two hail marys to beat the Lions and take the team to OT against a much stronger team (Cardinals) only to not have a chance to touch the ball in OT. Same happened vs the Seahawks after awful coaching by our man McCarthy coupled with the boneheaded play by the tight end when muffing the onside kick to ice the game.

Only strengthen the case to not pay decent QBs as someone like Rodgers hasn't even reached a Superbowl since he got paid despite his heriocs.