Troy Aikman's comments on the draft last night

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Now Troy has said he likes what he has seen in Dak. He has said this several times.

However, last night he said, if you are in position to take one of the QB's at the top of the draft, you must do so. And I can't disagree.

Did anyone else hear this?
What do you all think about it?

I know many will agree, as some will disagree with this statement.

I stated several times, you have to consider it, no way you can not discard this theory.
Yo have a QB that is good to very good, but just seems to be missing something at times. I felt the same about Tony Romo.

So Dak on the verge of being tagged at $37 million or set to make $35 to $40 million a year. Now I won't get into the salary cap ramifications on that, but understand the thinking from many fans about it.
So a franchise QB is there, you get at a 5 year far less impact on the cap.

Can this QB do right away what Dak will do when he returns healthy from his injury. But yet still the same issues, no defense. Though I think a new DC will be better than a 3rd pick overall on defense.

What are your thoughts as of this morning.
Right now, as usual, I will wait until the end of the season, see where we pick. I do like Dak, but I am leaning very much too selecting a QB.

The chances of a rookie QB being as good or better than Prescott in every way are pretty slim. Prescott has the respect of his team mates and they acknowledge he's their leader. According to his team mates and coaches going all the way back to his rookie year he has worked harder in practice, studies harder and has great character.

Now the list of college QB's that were touted to be big stars in the NFL that turned out to be busts is VERY long. They were drafted anywhere from the 1st pick in the draft to any other pick in the draft. Wentz was the 2nd player taken in the draft and there are some in the sporting world that are hinting he may be a bust.

Now after all of that and with all of the needs, especially on defense, to use up their 1st round pick on a QB that won't play, unless Prescott gets injured again, on a QB is not really helping the Cowboys in the immediate future.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The chances of a rookie QB being as good or better than Prescott in every way are pretty slim. Prescott has the respect of his team mates and they acknowledge he's their leader. According to his team mates and coaches going all the way back to his rookie year he has worked harder in practice, studies harder and has great character.

Now the list of college QB's that were touted to be big stars in the NFL that turned out to be busts is VERY long. They were drafted anywhere from the 1st pick in the draft to any other pick in the draft. Wentz was the 2nd player taken in the draft and there are some in the sporting world that are hinting he may be a bust.

Now after all of that and with all of the needs, especially on defense, to use up their 1st round pick on a QB that won't play, unless Prescott gets injured again, on a QB is not really helping the Cowboys in the immediate future.

I can't disagree at all. I was just throwing it out there for discussion.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Don’t poo poo on my hopes so soon

Earl Thomas is still out there. A few good picks on the DL next season. Plus a good QB and I’m back to believe land.

There's reasons Thomas as sat unsigned since August. If he was still as good as some here think he is and if he wasn't a head case he would have been signed a long time ago.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
There's reasons Thomas as sat unsigned since August. If he was still as good as some here think he is and if he wasn't a head case he would have been signed a long time ago.

Yup. I just don't see the fascination with Earl. Yes he was very good, but at age 32 when next season starts, and has attitude problems. Too many red flags...

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Aikman was talking a lot of nonsense last night.

The ONLY way that it makes sense to draft a QB is if we tag Prescott and get a 1st for him. Otherwise, he should be extended and we don't have a need for a QB, besides a back up.

For all those that want Prescott gone and if he is tagged again next year and if, that huge word, IF what those that want Prescott gone and their assessments are accurate then for those same reasons teams wouldn't give up high draft picks for him. You can't have it both ways. Having all the reasons people want him gone but still getting a #1 pick for him just doesn't add up.

blumayne38

Reaction score
He’s better then anything we have out there. That’s %100 maybe even the ravens. They had dalton looking pretty good for a minute there.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
We're in position to take a possibly elite QB. it's a rare shot to bless a team with one playing an invaluable position of importance.:thumbup:

Especially in this era of football, the head coach and the QB are the main catalysts to own the opportunity to maximize a team's fortunes.

That would certainly be something for any football team's GM to take into serious consideration if he'd potentially be willing accomplish it.

Ya JaMarcus Russell taken with the 1st pick was supposed to be an elite QB and was a huge bust and out of the league in THREE years. Busts like him have happened at just about every pick in the draft and to many people think getting a QB with a top 5 or 10 pick is a guarantee of an elite QB.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
well I dont know , I dont watch college ball, but my point is evaluation is the key.
maybe none of these guys will be good in nfl, maybe several are, maybe one is a mahomes type, but unless cowboys can evaluate properly,
they wont know which one to take, or will take the wrong one.

I think when KC took mahomes, they knew pretty much what they were getting, good eval on him.
They were the only ones, or mahomes would have been picked before # 10.
It is possible mahomes could have slipped into the 2nd round because other teams did not see him as special, and he wasnt celebrated qb.
But KC knew , and didnt want to risk waiting, so they took him at 10.

I doubt mahomes was even on the 2017 dallas board, which should tell you something about the people making the boards, and picks.
KC is picking the right guys in draft and FA, and that is why they are so good.

Tyreek Hill was drafted by the Kansas City Chiefs in the 5th round of the 2016 NFL Draft so nobody really saw him as valuable lol.
Look at who we drafted in that draft, Dak was one of the 4th round picks, but dallas could have had him, but doubt they would have turned
him into the threat he is today.
I’ve never understood why NFL fans don’t follow College Football. How can you be informed of talent coming out for draft.

Did y’all not go to college. What football fans don’t watch College too? I’ve never known any.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
He’s better then anything we have out there. That’s %100 maybe even the ravens. They had dalton looking pretty good for a minute there.

You keep telling yourself that and ALL of the teams keep telling you that you're wrong.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Ya JaMarcus Russell taken with the 1st pick was supposed to be an elite QB and was a huge bust and out of the league in THREE years. Busts like him have happened at just about every pick in the draft and to many people think getting a QB with a top 5 or 10 pick is a guarantee of an elite QB.

Sadly, I agree. If there's a management anywhere in the NFL that could potentially surpass that level of failure, ours is likely the one to do so. :(

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I’ve never understood why NFL fans don’t follow College Football. How can you be informed of talent coming out for draft.

Did y’all not go to college. What football fans don’t watch College too? I’ve never known any.

I watch college ball but here's something that you may not have given any thought to. Only about 250 college players get drafted in the NFL each year with about only 150 making it on a team, many as special teams players and others only seeing the field as special teamers. So what does that mean, that the hugely vast majority of those 150 college players who make it play against players who don't. So a player can look good against players who will never be in the NFL but that doesn't mean they will look good against actual NFL players.

KB1122

Reaction score
At the 3rd or 4th pick, who are the top QB's?

RN, there are 4 quarterbacks, at least, expected to go in the top 10 or so. I saw a mock with 6 of the first 7 picks being quarterbacks. The consensus is:

1. Trevor Lawrence, Clemson
  2. Justin Fields, Ohio State
  3. Zack Wilson, BYU
Those guys will probably go in the first 4 picks. With Cincy ahead of us, currently, we would be in position for one of those players. The other possible first rounders:

1. Trey Lance, North Dakota State
  2. Kyle Trask, Florida
  3. Mac Jones, Alabama
Lance is expected to go high, usually in the top 10 in mocks.

KB1122

Reaction score
The last time we picked a quarterback in the first round was Troy Aikman. The only team that's gone longer is the Saints. And Drew Brees was the #32 pick in his draft, which would be in the first round today. And the draft I just looked at had them choosing a quarterback this year.

Also, Kansas City didn't draft a quarterback in the first round between Todd Blackledge in 1983 and Patrick Mahomes. They were the quintessential "Let's sign someone else's overperforming backup qb" team. Usually SF's. Montana. Bono. Grbac. Alex Smith. They finally drafted a quarterback in the first round. It seems to be going well.

blumayne38

Reaction score
You keep telling yourself that and ALL of the teams keep telling you that you're wrong.
Just because he didn’t end up on a team this year? You saying he has zero chance at making a team next season cowboys or not?

cern

Reaction score

then i suggest following high school football so we know who's going to be playing in college. there are enough draft analysts on television to keep us informed. kyper, mayock, et. al. then there's the couple of thousand here on the zone.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
then i suggest following high school football so we know who's going to be playing in college. there are enough draft analysts on television to keep us informed. kyper, mayock, et. al. then there's the couple of thousand here on the zone.
I agree and I do. Well, I follow Texas high school football.