Troy Aikman's criticism of Dak

Cumart21

Reaction score
The Legend of Troy has outgrown reality by a wide margin. Always cracks me up when he criticizes deep throws because he was a horrible deep ball thrower. He definitely comes across as bitter.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Aikman calls it as he sees it and he sees more of Dak than any of us. How do we know what he's tried to do behind the scenes because he does have his objectivity to keep intact in his real job.

You also have to take into consideration his relationship, or lack thereof, with Booger. Aikman has never moved past Booger flat out lying about him retiring, his reaction when he was told that by a reporter was total anger. I think his relationship with the Jones clan is at arm's length.

On top of this, Aikman holds Booger responsible for not having 4 in a row by bringing in his undisciplined buddy as HC. And he spoke out recently that Booger was the real problem over the last decade.

Let me ask you a question. Do you see Bradshaw rushing to help Rothliesberger? How about Simms to help Manning? Fouts to help Rivers? Favre to help Rodgers? Hell, they just started speaking recently.

The fact that Aikman stepped in, Staubach as well, to help Romo when his mouth was getting him in trouble doesn't mean either is obligated to "help" any players on their former team.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Aikman and Romo are analysts, not volunteer QB coaches.

I haven't heard either of them say anything close to some of the negative stuff I've seen posted about Dak here.
Or by other analysts on all of the nets.

JBS

Reaction score
Nobody has supported Dak more than Troy. He defended him over and over and over until he just couldn't anymore.

Dan and his "three horrible quarters before awakening in the fourth" approach must end. The defense can't do this every single game. Eventually, you have to be good the whole game.

Last night was wonderful, but it's still the Achilles of this team. Shutting down Seattle's run game was the key, but that won't always happen (see Indy).

Yeah...dak was horrible for 3 quarters..what on earth are you watching

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Don't get your bloomers in a bunch, Troy has said positive and negative things about Dak, he's part of the media, that's what's he's paid to do. Troy also said this

"I love Dak,'' Aikman tells me. "I will say positive things about him and his future because I believe in him and I believe in his commitment to winning.''

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I mentioned this elsewhere but felt it was worthy of a bigger discussion.

I've recently lost some respect for Troy.. Someone that, during his time, cemented an abundance of great Cowboys memories in my mind.

Once a Cowboy, always a Cowboy IMHO. Troy could have already gotten off of his butt and helped Dak. Instead, he chooses to sit back and criticize. This is very basic and simple. Troy will always be a Dallas Cowboys. Why couldn't he open the door to working with our young QB to help improve his game? I'm sure there are a number of cues that Troy could give Dak regarding timing, anticipation, etc.

I just feel as though Troy has taken the wrong approach altogether.. Weak sauce.

Yes, it's Troy Aikman's responsibility to make time and help Dak.

This freakin' fanbase....:facepalm:

superonyx

Reaction score
Nobody has supported Dak more than Troy. He defended him over and over and over until he just couldn't anymore.

Dan and his "three horrible quarters before awakening in the fourth" approach must end. The defense can't do this every single game. Eventually, you have to be good the whole game.

Last night was wonderful, but it's still the Achilles of this team. Shutting down Seattle's run game was the key, but that won't always happen (see Indy).
Maybe it’s not Dak that takes 3 quarters to wake up.

Did you not see Linehan not roll Dak out or call any designed QB runs until Seattle shamed him with Russell Wilson doing that?

It’s easy to blame Dak. The reality is our play calling is what needs to wake up earlier.

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
I mentioned this elsewhere but felt it was worthy of a bigger discussion.

I've recently lost some respect for Troy.. Someone that, during his time, cemented an abundance of great Cowboys memories in my mind.

Once a Cowboy, always a Cowboy IMHO. Troy could have already gotten off of his butt and helped Dak. Instead, he chooses to sit back and criticize. This is very basic and simple. Troy will always be a Dallas Cowboys. Why couldn't he open the door to working with our young QB to help improve his game? I'm sure there are a number of cues that Troy could give Dak regarding timing, anticipation, etc.

I just feel as though Troy has taken the wrong approach altogether.. Weak sauce.

That’s your opinion but mine is that it’s not Troy’s responsibility and/or obligation. Troy has never come back to help anyone as some of the former players have. As a matter of fact he really has stayed away from the organization and I have no problem with that.

His job now is to commentate and be analytical and he is paid handsomely to do that and he is pretty good at it. He is one of the premiere commentators.

erod

Reaction score

Did you not see Linehan not roll Dak out or call any designed QB runs until Seattle shamed him with Russell Wilson doing that?

It’s easy to blame Dak. The reality is our play calling is what needs to wake up earlier.
He misses simple passes to wide open guys, then gets dialed in late.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score

Exactly.... it is like they forgot how successful Dak is at running and scrambling

It wasn't until RWilson ran a couple read options that we called it

They are unstoppable with defenders committing to Zeke

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
Aikman is a good analyst. I do think that he is overly conscience of being labeled a Cowboys homer, hence he is often more critical of the team he played for.

Just my opinion

rynochop

Reaction score
Hall of fame, all time great players usually make bad coaches...not sure you want Troy coaching him up. That and I don't think Troy has the greatest relationship with the team/Jerry

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Don't get your bloomers in a bunch, Troy has said positive and negative things about Dak, he's part of the media, that's what's he's paid to do. Troy also said this

"I love Dak,'' Aikman tells me. "I will say positive things about him and his future because I believe in him and I believe in his commitment to winning.''
He is overwhelmingly negative to a point of having a clear bias