Twitter: Troy Vincent: Hip-Drop tackle will be addressed in the offseason/Tush push will stay

rags747

Reaction score
I don’t even know what a hip drop tackle is, anyone care to post up an example?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I don’t even know what a hip drop tackle is, anyone care to post up an example?
Its the tackle that Tony Pollard got hurt on in the playoffs last year lol...the reason why he isn't at full strength right now lol. That being said, I had no issue with it then and have none now. To ban that tackle but keep the tush push is just dumb. They are about to make these refs job even harder.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They can make that alignment of the tush push illegal or modify if so they can’t all be that close together.

However just a matter of time for a DC to com up with a defensive front to stop it at times.

Just be better than them and stop them. Can’t say do not let them get into a short yardage situation, but that is not always possible.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I’m much happier with the hip drop tackle being banned. Tush push will fade away when the eagles get stopped doing it. Hip drop tackles are causing bad injuries.
Same. I have no problem with the tush push. It's not inherently more dangerous than most football plays.

The hip drop needs to go. The horse collar is dangerous not because you are yanked from behind but because you are torquing the player's body in a dangerous manner. I know people are going to be concerned about ref interpretation and there will 100% be issues with it but it's a dangerous way to tackle and (in so far as legs can be compared to a BRAIN) the most dangerous legal play right now.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I don't think anyone is actively intentionally trying to hurt guys with it though. Sometimes a hip drop tackle is the only way to get a guy down.
I agree on intention. "Only way to get them down" means, IMO, you lost the rep.

EDIT: And don't get me wrong - I feel like the league way over-legislates defense in a lot of ways. But hip drop is just bad form and dangerous to the other player.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I agree on intention. "Only way to get them down" means, IMO, you lost the rep.
What I mean is its like the tackle Bell gave Goedert a few weeks back that got him hurt. It was the only way he could tackle him. I Just don't like us telling players to let up because you can't tackle a certain way. I mean yeah clearly the horse collar and tackling by the facemask is insane. That I agree with. But a hip drop tackle is just a tackle.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
If they ban the hip drop tackle then you will see a hell of a lot of business decisions from DBs on defense. It's one of only two reliable ways for a small man to tackle a bigger man besides the Alligator Roll on the ankles.

Also, hip drops have been used forever in football. The injury thing is bogus because 1) it is rare, and 2) any type of tackle can result in an injury - so just put the flags on them, and watch football start to drop off in it's popularity.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
What I mean is its like the tackle Bell gave Goedert a few weeks back that got him hurt. It was the only way he could tackle him. I Just don't like us telling players to let up because you can't tackle a certain way. I mean yeah clearly the horse collar and tackling by the facemask is insane. That I agree with. But a hip drop tackle is just a tackle.
If it was the only way he could tackle him, then again, he lost the rep. I disagree too - he could have shoved him out of bounds. Bell not only hip dropped him (basically created dead weight on him) but I feel like bell also kicked his feet out from him.

It's dangerous for the offensive player to run at that speed to have someone come behind or beside you and drag you down by just putting dead weight on you. Torques the body in horrible ways. If you cannot wrap someone up or at least trip them up, I feel you lost the rep.