Twitter: Troy Vincent: Hip-Drop tackle will be addressed in the offseason/Tush push will stay

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
If they ban the hip drop tackle then you will see a hell of a lot of business decisions from DBs on defense. It's one of only two reliable ways for a small man to tackle a bigger man besides the Alligator Roll on the ankles.

Also, hip drops have been used forever in football. The injury thing is bogus because 1) it is rare, and 2) any type of tackle can result in an injury - so just put the flags on them, and watch football start to drop off in it's popularity.
This is literally what was said 15-20 years ago about the horse collar.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
btw to be fair to the defense I also think there needs to be better regulation on cut blocking.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Its the tackle that Tony Pollard got hurt on in the playoffs last year lol...the reason why he isn't at full strength right now lol. That being said, I had no issue with it then and have none now. To ban that tackle but keep the tush push is just dumb. They are about to make these refs job even harder.
The owners will decide on the tush push though.

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
Eagles player cites Eagles success as basis for league decision. C’mon guys they’re good at something! He and Runyan being so high up is fair and above board

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
No one is getting injured with the tush push. The emphasis is on safety.
That's why I'm on board with allowing it. I feel that it is a play that is going to lead to a serious injury because of the "scrum" nature of it. But so far it has not, so why ban it based on a possible outcome?

I think with the hip-drop, enforcement needs to be very limited in scope. If a defender drops his weight onto the legs of the offensive player, then and only then should it be a penalty. And that appears to be what they are considering. Against bigger players, it is necessary for defenders to sometimes drop their weight to bring them down or otherwise just be dragged down the field. The main danger with the hip-drop is when the weight of a player is suddenly dropped on the back of another player's legs.

Hardline

Reaction score
I hope every team in the league has the tush push formation next year
I would sign a power lifter that can squat 800 pounds in the offseason to take a direct snap in our tush push .

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
That's why I'm on board with allowing it. I feel that it is a play that is going to lead to a serious injury because of the "scrum" nature of it. But so far it has not, so why ban it based on a possible outcome?

I think with the hip-drop, enforcement needs to be very limited in scope. If a defender drops his weight onto the legs of the offensive player, then and only then should it be a penalty. And that appears to be what they are considering. Against bigger players, it is necessary for defenders to sometimes drop their weight to bring them down or otherwise just be dragged down the field. The main danger with the hip-drop is when the weight of a player is suddenly dropped on the back of another player's legs.
What leads to serious injuries are high speed collisions and certain type of tackles. In my opinion you’re less likely to get seriously injured in a scrum. They have a lot of scrums in rugby and those guys don’t even wear pads. All that’s involved in the tush push is blocking and pushing.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Eventually Kelce or the next center will really get hurt putting his head down to the ground to get lower and then they'll ban it.

Flamma

Reaction score
I don't believe the refs will be able to officiate this properly. They'll be throwing flags on every other tackle from behind.

ATXSRT

Reaction score
Just bring back old school football. You never heard of this crap years ago because defenders were able to make proper tackles. The reason these tackles even exist is because defenders can't hit up high anymore.

Reaction score
Leaves too much judgement in the hands of the refs. This will slow down the game even more than it already is.

I heard Richard Sharman talk about it. He hates the idea of banning the tackle. Sometimes there is no other way to get the guy down.

Try to coach it out. The reason this is happening is because coaching proper tackling is almost gone.

We don't need more rules that leave the refs with even more power

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hip Drop: should be banned. Players are getting hurt. In a time when the league is trying to reduce injuries.

Tush Push: shouldn't be banned. The easy answer is take that play out of the game like the Cowboys did Sunday running out to a 24-6 halftime lead.

Should be considered: Full time refs, find ways to speed up play reviews, reduce commercials (I know, won't happen).

Beaker42

Reaction score
Tackle that caused Tony Pollard injury...

You left out Dak’s broken twisted round foot, Romo’s back injury in preseason against the Seasquawks and Hurt’s one foot this way/one foot that way deals. Not sure if the OP has been living under a rock or is new to football.