Twitter: Troy Vincent: Hip-Drop tackle will be addressed in the offseason/Tush push will stay

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Banning the hip drop tackle will be interesting. I'm confused by the 'grip, rotate, and drop' definition though. Maybe I'm misunderstanding but I don't think that definition would cause a flag on the Tony Pollard play, which is what they're supposed to be worried about? That was strictly a grip and drop and more of a slide action the way I'm seeing it. I would actually think a wrap up and rotating technique would actually be the answer to this, having guys tackle through the player but rotating their weight around the ball carrier. That's sort of the approved technique the NFL is using for sacks from the edge now.

The tush push I really don't understand how you would even go about banning it. You'd basically have to eliminate any version of a QB sneak altogether.

goshann

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I personally think it’s about as easy as the horse collar to see and call
I don’t expect many issues

plymkr

Reaction score
I don't think anyone is actively intentionally trying to hurt guys with it though. Sometimes a hip drop tackle is the only way to get a guy down.
I agree. I don’t believe any NFL player would intentionally try and hurt someone. If they did they should be kicked out of the league cuz that’s taking money away from guys. I just think the mechanics of the hip drop can cause more injuries whether intentional or unintentional.

McCarthyMustGo

Reaction score
Just fine the players for this kind of tackle and move on. No yardage and no 1st down. Already too much offense in the NFL.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
I'm all for making the game as safe as reasonably possible, but it's going to be an impossible rule to implement consistently.

Flamma

Reaction score
In theory, this might be a good idea. But in practice, I think this will be a disaster. Similar to the in the grasp rule years ago.

Penalties like horse collar or facemask are easy to spot. They get some of them wrong too. This game has become a flag fest as it is. It's going to become unwatchable.

Cmac

Reaction score
Hip drop should be banned....it is the modified horse collar tackle with high chances for bad injuries. We've seen enough of it.....ask FSU Seminoles' opinion.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Another rule change involving a Dallas Cowboy. ;)

Meanwhile, as much as I hate the Eagles' success with the Brotherly Shove, I don't want to see it banned.

Don't like it: stop it!

MarcusRock

Reaction score
I personally think it’s about as easy as the horse collar to see and call
I don’t expect many issues
I agree. But any kind of rule change brings automatic whining and tales of forthcoming doom.

Mannix

Reaction score
There is probably a good reason that there has not been significant injuries....players are afraid to move forward when the front of their thighs and shins are being dived at and bent backward!!! It is TOTALLY asinine for this to remain given that they totally destroyed the ability to recover an onside kick....if this were Dallas, it 100% would have been outlawed!!! And Troy Vincent having been an Eagle should not have had ANY say in this...at the very least, it looks bad for him to be the one giving the statement.

817Gill

Reaction score
If they ban the hip drop tackle then you will see a hell of a lot of business decisions from DBs on defense. It's one of only two reliable ways for a small man to tackle a bigger man besides the Alligator Roll on the ankles.

Also, hip drops have been used forever in football. The injury thing is bogus because 1) it is rare, and 2) any type of tackle can result in an injury - so just put the flags on them, and watch football start to drop off in it's popularity.
There have been 5 injuries this year from hip drop tackles. That is not rare at all, and a much higher frequency than form tackling. It’s the same as a horse collar from a safety standpoint. There’s a much higher rate of injury on those tackles than on the ones where players use proper technique.

I find it hard to believe the league would arbitrarily rule out a tackling technique if injury from it was “rare”. There’s obviously data behind their reasoning, if there wasn’t any injury then this wouldn’t even be a discussion. Obviously there’s been a high rate of injury connected to this tackle.

817Gill

Reaction score
This is literally what was said 15-20 years ago about the horse collar.
Bingo, don’t get why folks are so obtuse to rule changes. People are so ticky tacky about change lol. The tackle is obviously much more dangerous than the proper tackling form.

This whole thing is a replay of the horse collar discussion.

windjc

Reaction score
I would ban the tush push because its practically a rugby play. We already have rugby. We don't need it in football. It slogs up the game. Its unattractive. And it doesn't really fit with the style of the league.