True Crime thread

SlammedZero

Reaction score
A rape and murder of a 9 year-old girl in 1964 solved...

https://news.yahoo.com/police-solve-1964-rape-murder-131539148.html

I applaud the police who originally investigated the case carefully saving the evidence.

Great that a volunteer donated their time and expertise to helping solve the case and the police in allowing a civilian into their "world". Cooperation. It's tough to beat.

The DNA "donor" was 22 at the time and died when they were 38... Hard to believe he only killed 1 when he was doing this at such at early age.

Yeah, 1964. There have always been "monsters" among us.
Was reading about this. Decent looking person in the picture I saw. Who would have thought what lies beneath? I was talking with my wife about that. When you watch these shows, you sit there and try to picture what this "monster" looks like. It ends up that they look.................human.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Was reading about this. Decent looking person in the picture I saw. Who would have thought what lies beneath? I was talking with my wife about that. When you watch these shows, you sit there and try to picture what this "monster" looks like. It ends up that they look.................human.

Very true!

Look at Bundy.

Most of these folks look "normal" whatever that means.

If they only looked like one of the characters of "Wrong Turn".

What gets me is how could a 22 year-old find a 9 year-old sexually attractive?

yimyammer

Reaction score
Have the Dermond murders been talked about?

Its baffling they were targeted and for no apparent reason, they were both 85+ so if it wasn't kids rushing their inheritance (& that doesnt appear to be the case), there is no apparent motive. Seems like a random thrill kill like Israel Keyes (one of the scariest due to his random selection of victims). I thought he might have done it since he was known to dump bodies in lakes and kill randomly but he had already killed himself prior to their murders

Atlanta CNN —
By any standard, the killings are grisly.

With the discovery of the body of an 87-year-old Georgia woman whose disappearance came to light after her husband’s decapitated body was found in their waterfront home, authorities not only want to know who did it, but also why.

Shirley Dermond’s body was found in Lake Oconee, south of Athens, Putnam County Sheriff Howard Sills told reporters Friday.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We've had a few posts about the "Co-ed" killer from the early 70's Ed Kemper.

What's both interesting and sad at the same time is that there in Santa Clara County, CA, you had two serial killers, Ed Kemper and Herbert Mullin BOTH committing murders during the same time frame.

And on top of that you had John Linley Frazer who wiped out the Ohta family (and one guest) in the same area.

The kicker in all this?

All 3 had been seen and judged "OK" by those in the mental health community prior to them going off on their killing sprees (this was after Kemper killed his grandparents when he was 15-He was sent to a state mental hospital and judged to be "Not a threat to society" and let go free).

jnday

Reaction score
Agreed.

1 murder is too many.
As a father of a murdered daughter that had three children of her own, you are certainly right. One murder is too many. It is horrible to see a life ended much too early by accident or even natural causes. It is so much worse to see a life prematurely ended at the hands of a POS that has no value in a civilized society. I know my thoughts on the subject are clouded by my personal experiences, but there is a high percentage of murders that are committed by criminals that have never been anything more than cancers to our society. I have noticed that more and more murders are committed by lifetime criminals that starts with smaller crimes and the crimes committed becomes more severe until it escalates to murder. In many of these cold cases that are being solved, the murderers were well known to law enforcement for their other crimes during the time when the murders were committed. It brings up serious questions with the main question being “ what punishment for these lesser crimes would have prevented the escalation and the severity of the crimes by these lifelong criminals?”. One thing is for certain, our current system needs an overhaul.

jnday

Reaction score
It is a horrible story.

I had never heard of it until I came across a book on case.

You look at the numbers and violent crime was much worse during the 70's & 80's than it is now–It just seems worse now because of the constant news, media attention and social media.
The 70’s, 80’s and early 90’s are considered the golden age for serial killers. Most of serial killers that have become well known to the public was active during these years. Sadly, some of the killers have a cult-like following and they are viewed as being rock stars by their twisted admirers. The various media sources have contributed entirely too much towards making monsters into celebrities. The number of serial killers has declined since their “ golden age”, but knowing that there are 25+ active serial killers in the country is entirely too many.

jnday

Reaction score
The BTK killer cracks me up how he was caught.

BTK "Hey cops, if I send you a disk, can you trace it back to me?"
Cops "Nope. Sorry we don't have the technology!"
BTK "Oh ok! Cool!"
BTK *send disk
Cops *dig deep into disk. Find name
Cops *start following BTK. Find way to get DNA
Cops *arrest BTK
BTK "but how?"

:lmao2:

I mean, I'm glad the idiot messed up, but just wow.
I honestly think he wanted to get caught. I think he craved the attention and in some ways wanted to be exposed. BTK was proud of his work and he wanted credit for the killings in some twisted way.

jnday

Reaction score
We've had a few posts about the "Co-ed" killer from the early 70's Ed Kemper.

What's both interesting and sad at the same time is that there in Santa Clara County, CA, you had two serial killers, Ed Kemper and Herbert Mullin BOTH committing murders during the same time frame.

And on top of that you had John Linley Frazer who wiped out the Ohta family (and one guest) in the same area.

The kicker in all this?

All 3 had been seen and judged "OK" by those in the mental health community prior to them going off on their killing sprees (this was after Kemper killed his grandparents when he was 15-He was sent to a state mental hospital and judged to be "Not a threat to society" and let go free).
Kemper is the one serial killer that I could see myself having a conversation with. The guy is very intelligent and he seems kind of likable until he mentions his murders. He had enough self-awareness about his murders to know that he needed to be stopped, which is kind of spooky. He is the only one of the well known serial killers to turn himself in. With his intelligence, he could have probably continued killing and evading law enforcement for years.

yimyammer

Reaction score
One thing is for certain, our current system needs an overhaul.

agreed and a few no brainers to me would be getting rid of the statute of limitations on rape and putting people away for life who have their sexuality tied to violence, those types are incapable of change imo and leaving them on the street is a danger to women (in the majority of cases but sometimes me) everywhere

its insane to me that a guy like the Golden State Killer could not be charged with any of the rapes he committed because of the SOL

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I honestly think he wanted to get caught. I think he craved the attention and in some ways wanted to be exposed. BTK was proud of his work and he wanted credit for the killings in some twisted way.
It's definitely not out of the realm of possibility. He sure made it easy. He made more mistakes in the 1 month leading up to his capture than he had in the like 30-ish years he was out there doing his crimes.

He did make some kind of snarky comment when they pulled him over. Something like "Tell my wife I won't be home for dinner for quiet some time. You guys know where I live."

I always think of his family and friends. Could you imagine being married to somebody and find out he is your area's most wanted serial killer? Or being his co-worker or member of your church? Blows my mind.

Off topic, But the guy who plays him (Kemper) on the Netflix show Mind Hunter, does a terrific job. LOL
Fantastic show!! Sad they aren't making anymore seasons.

jnday

Reaction score
It's definitely not out of the realm of possibility. He sure made it easy. He made more mistakes in the 1 month leading up to his capture than he had in the like 30-ish years he was out there doing his crimes.

He did make some kind of snarky comment when they pulled him over. Something like "Tell my wife I won't be home for dinner for quiet some time. You guys know where I live."

I always think of his family and friends. Could you imagine being married to somebody and find out he is your area's most wanted serial killer? Or being his co-worker or member of your church? Blows my mind.

Fantastic show!! Sad they aren't making anymore seasons.
I think BTK was giddy with anticipation when he was finally arrested. I have watched several videos of him confessing to law enforcement officers and he acted like a child that wanted to tell a secret that he has been keeping to himself. His excitement was very obvious, especially during the first few interviews. The anticipation of finally describing each murder and every little detail about his attacks caused him to become sexually excited . Seeing him take so much pleasure from the mere mention of each murder and the sickening details made me uncomfortable as hell. It was absolutely insane to watch Dennis Rader go from being a highly respected church leader to being an evil monster within a few seconds of an interview.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I think BTK was giddy with anticipation when he was finally arrested. I have watched several videos of him confessing to law enforcement officers and he acted like a child that wanted to tell a secret that he has been keeping to himself. His excitement was very obvious, especially during the first few interviews. The anticipation of finally describing each murder and every little detail about his attacks caused him to become sexually excited . Seeing him take so much pleasure from the mere mention of each murder and the sickening details made me uncomfortable as hell. It was absolutely insane to watch Dennis Rader go from being a highly respected church leader to being an evil monster within a few seconds of an interview.

*typo in my original statement. Meant to type "Tell my wife I won't be home for dinner for quite some time." Not quiet.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Agreed. One of the officers that watched the interview while it was happening made similar remarks. I know we aren't supposed to discuss politics on this forum, but I'm just going to throw this down quick: They should have just taken him "behind the woodshed". Not that killing anybody is acceptable, but he involved children. I have zero tolerance for that.

And I will leave it at that.

jnday

Reaction score
*typo in my original statement. Meant to type "Tell my wife I won't be home for dinner for quite some time." Not quiet.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Agreed. One of the officers that watched the interview while it was happening made similar remarks. I know we aren't supposed to discuss politics on this forum, but I'm just going to throw this down quick: They should have just taken him "behind the woodshed". Not that killing anybody is acceptable, but he involved children. I have zero tolerance for that.

And I will leave it at that.
I don’t think your view has much to do with politics. Your view on this monster has more to do with you being a decent human being that recognizes evil and wants to eliminate the threat from society. Any crime that involves the abuse of a child shows the very worst of humanity. I have zero tolerance for crimes committed against children and I would have no problem being the executioner that carries out the punishment for those type of criminals.

DBOY3141

Reaction score
I don’t think your view has much to do with politics. Your view on this monster has more to do with you being a decent human being that recognizes evil and wants to eliminate the threat from society. Any crime that involves the abuse of a child shows the very worst of humanity. I have zero tolerance for crimes committed against children and I would have no problem being the executioner that carries out the punishment for those type of criminals.
totally agree. you'll have to wait in line behind me and wait for my trigger finger to get tired.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Kemper is the one serial killer that I could see myself having a conversation with. The guy is very intelligent and he seems kind of likable until he mentions his murders. He had enough self-awareness about his murders to know that he needed to be stopped, which is kind of spooky. He is the only one of the well known serial killers to turn himself in. With his intelligence, he could have probably continued killing and evading law enforcement for years.

For such an intelligent guy... And he is.

His crimes were just so heinous... I mean he was beyond what Ted Bundy did and well beyond Gary Ridgeway.

Arguably he may have even been a tick worse than Jeffrey Dahmer.

It goes to show you that intelligence is only part of it– His emotional makeup was on the flipside of the intelligence level. Very intelligent but emotionally he was a monster.

Yep, he could have been killing for a long-time. I've been reading the book, "Ed Kemper–Conversations With A Killer" and the police response to what was going on was abysmal. Just abysmal.

But that was what police work was nationally during the 70's when it came to serial killers. The police were completely out-of-the-loop. They resorted to the old standby, "Your kid probably ran away".

Serial killers were playing "chess" while the various police departments were playing "checkers".

Passepartout

Reaction score
Oh that Ted Bundy could had been a lawyer or a politician had he not let the demons get to him. And that he was very smart and sadly and tragically handsome and that is what got those poor girls and ladies killed by him. Glad he is gone!

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oh that Ted Bundy could had been a lawyer or a politician had he not let the demons get to him. And that he was very smart and sadly and tragically handsome and that is what got those poor girls and ladies killed by him. Glad he is gone!

Ted was messed up early on... Very early on. Started like many serial killers do by abusing animals.

And like virtually all serial killers I've read about, he was very good at "hiding" his evil side his entire life– Up until the time he was strapped into the electric chair. And like most serial killers he never really came clean on his issues.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan