Try this cooking thread

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Eggplant Fettuccine

Here's one of my favorite recipes. This is the vegetarian version, but, if you're a meat eater, don't worry. I explain at the end how you can modify it to include meat if you want. In my family we have some vegetarians and some meat eaters, so we have a bunch of recipes where we know both the veg version and the meat version. For the meat version, just make the vegetarian version and follow the extra few steps at the end. I'm also including a couple of photos at the end.
Eggplant Fettuccini

ingredients
□ 1 whole eggplant, diced
□ 4 tbs olive oil
□ 6 cloves garlic, crushed & minced
□ 1 med white onion, chopped
□ 3 cups fresh tomatoes, finely chopped
□ 2 fresh green peppers, chopped
□ 1 tsp. oregano
□ ½ cup unsweetened apple juice
□ 2 six oz cans tomato paste (recommended brand = Muir)
□ 1 tsp basil
□ 2 tsp tamari or soy sauce

□ 1 package of vegan Fettuccini noodles

Sprinkle the eggplant with sea salt and let it sit for about half and hour. Boil the Fettuccini with a dash of salt till it's ready, then take it out and strain it. Mix 2 tbs olive oil in with it. Sauté the garlic and onions in olive oil for about ten minutes. Add all the rest of the ingredients, except the Fettuccini noodles, and let them simmer for about an hour. Serve over the noodles. Notes: Still good after freezing. You might be tempted to leave out the apple juice. Don’t. If you do, it will lose pizzazz. I use six cloves of garlic because I like things really garlicky. The recipe will taste okay with only three cloves.

Meat version:
ingredients
□ chicken
□ white onion

Cook the vegetarian version as described above, but, also chop up chicken into little cubes. Chop up the onion, and then sauté it in a separate pan until the onions are translucent. Add the chicken cubes and sauté them for about 6 to 8 minutes, or until you see that it's done. Then, simply mix it all together with the veg version. If you have a mixed crowd of some vegetarians and some meat eaters, you could simply not combine the meat, and only combine them on each plate for a meat eater. Maybe mix it in a bowl first and then put it on the plate.

Could you do this with another kind of meat? Probably, but my family has only ever done it with chicken. However, ground beef or steak cubes would probably work just fine, also cooked in a separate pan and mixed in later. I don't think fish would work. I think it would conflict with the ingredients. The recipe is flexible. Adjust it to your personal preferences.

photos:

Most recent batch from November of 2023:
Eggplant-Fettucini-7final.jpg

Batch I made in 2011
Eggplan-Fettucine-2011.jpg

Creeper

Reaction score

I love artichokes if they are made correctly. I have a simpler recipe that calls only for onions, garlic, grated romano cheese and flavored bread crumbs. The trick is to get the flavor of the artichoke infused into the stuffing. I am not sure outside of Italians who eats artichokes but they are a real treat.

You can also fry them. Get the canned artichokes in water (not the marinated kind0 or frozen hearts if you can find them. Drain them (or thaw them then drain them), dry them, coat them in your favorite batter (beer batter works well, and fry them in olive oil. sprinkle some salt on them and you have a heavenly snack or side dish for dinner.

Creeper

Reaction score

Squirrel done right!

Um, no! I had a grey squirrel as a pet (so did Ben Franklin). They make great pets if you raise them from when they are born. They are fun, loving animals. They are illegal to own as pets in most states, which is unfortunate, but that is unfortunate. I am not killing one or cooking him for dinner.