CFZ Trying to decode/translate what JJ means by all in

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Listening to a Jerry Jones presser requires the ability to try and make sense out of a word salad that frankly doesn’t usually make much sense. I couldn’t count how many times I’ve listened to him speak and thought, “What is he saying?” I find it quite humorous how often the man says, “Let me be clear“, followed by sentences that are anything but clear.

So in the aftermath of Jerry’s most recent run on sentence extravaganza this week, all most of us could translate from that Jones goulash was that Jerry is now proclaiming that in the upcoming 2024 season, he’s “All in”. (Making me and many others wonder, “I thought we were all in this past season”)

Here are some possible decoded Jones translations to what that “all in” statement actually means:
  • Scenario 1: In this scenario “all in“ simply means that Jerry is planning to make new contractual arrangements with the players he believes are the centerpieces of talent here. A new contract for Cedee Lamb, Micah Parsons, and (to the dismay and anger for many here) an extension for Dak Prescott. He already has several other big names already nailed down like Zack Martin and DeMarcus Lawrence. He would sprinkle in some new draft picks, and a couple of mid-level FAs. The scary thing to me about this scenario is JJs long standing habit of “running it back” with teams of players that haven’t really done much of anything in the playoffs. Is the next year bound to somehow be the magic number?

• Scenario 2: The LA Rams and Tampa Bay models from 2020 and 2021. The Bucs behind their aggressive GM Jason Licht in 2020 threw an all in roster around Tom Brady, traded for some big name players like Leonard Fournette, and pushed a lot of cap chips to the center of the table on FAs, especially on defense. They won the SB. In 2021, Rams GM Les Snead got uber aggressive trading QB Jared Goff and some draft picks to Detroit in exchange for Matt Stafford. They also traded for star LB Von Miller with Denver, traded for CB Jalen Ramsey, and were also aggressive in FA, signing guys like S Eric Weddle and WR Odell Beckham. They won the SB in 2021. In this scenario, it’s a philosophy of “Who cares about tomorrow, we’re going for it today.” To do something like this, it would also probably require trading Dak for picks (which I would be for)

• Scenario 3: I would call this the aggressive young roster “all in”. Trade Dak, get some picks, roll with Trey Lance, draft a QB in round 1 and use the other extra picks to bring a large infusion of young talent along with some sprinkled in medium level FAs. If they could draft a good RB in round 2-4 that could play immediately, add some OL talent that could bring back a running game, young talent at LB, they could possibly have a year similar to what the packers and lions had this year where they got better as the year went on and actually have a bright future.
I‘m sure there are other scenarios for “all in”. These just seemed the easiest to conceive. Of all these options I listed, I prefer the 2nd or 3rd scenarios. If I were to guess which one we will actually see, it will probably be the first scenario which is basically what Jerry always does. He believes in his own talent too much.

What do you think “all in“ in 2024 means?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
giphy.gif

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Mmmm... the grinning skull in front of the cameras.
The heir knowing what he has to do.
The directionless directions.
We're going to need a lot of luck to get further than we have.
God Save The Cowboys Fans

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mmmm... the grinning skull in front of the cameras.
The heir knowing what he has to do.
The directionless directions.
We're going to need a lot of luck to get further than we have.
God Save The Cowboys Fans
We Cowboys fans will probably need Lady Luck to have sweet mercy on our souls to have playoff glory next year. Lord knows it can’t be by design.

leeblair

Reaction score
It's all just marketing hype and another sales pitch, with scenario 1 being the most likely outcome.
Jerry knows the fans are upset, and "all in" has been a phrase that fans clamor to, and he is trying to use it to get fans to forget the failures of the past.
He may add a piece here or there, but he has NO intention of making a change at quarterback- meaning no matter what he does elsewhere, nothing changes.
He's still trying to sell gullible fans on Dak Prescott as the answer, and using the "all in" phrase to try and get them to give him another chance.
Nothing changes.

Reaction score
Listening to a Jerry Jones presser requires the ability to try and make sense out of a word salad that frankly doesn’t usually make much sense. I couldn’t count how many times I’ve listened to him speak and thought, “What is he saying?” I find it quite humorous how often the man says, “Let me be clear“, followed by sentences that are anything but clear.

So in the aftermath of Jerry’s most recent run on sentence extravaganza this week, all most of us could translate from that Jones goulash was that Jerry is now proclaiming that in the upcoming 2024 season, he’s “All in”. (Making me and many others wonder, “I thought we were all in this past season”)

Here are some possible decoded Jones translations to what that “all in” statement actually means:
  • Scenario 1: In this scenario “all in“ simply means that Jerry is planning to make new contractual arrangements with the players he believes are the centerpieces of talent here. A new contract for Cedee Lamb, Micah Parsons, and (to the dismay and anger for many here) an extension for Dak Prescott. He already has several other big names already nailed down like Zack Martin and DeMarcus Lawrence. He would sprinkle in some new draft picks, and a couple of mid-level FAs. The scary thing to me about this scenario is JJs long standing habit of “running it back” with teams of players that haven’t really done much of anything in the playoffs. Is the next year bound to somehow be the magic number?

• Scenario 2: The LA Rams and Tampa Bay models from 2020 and 2021. The Bucs behind their aggressive GM Jason Licht in 2020 threw an all in roster around Tom Brady, traded for some big name players like Leonard Fournette, and pushed a lot of cap chips to the center of the table on FAs, especially on defense. They won the SB. In 2021, Rams GM Les Snead got uber aggressive trading QB Jared Goff and some draft picks to Detroit in exchange for Matt Stafford. They also traded for star LB Vin Miller with Denver, traded for CB Jalen Ramsey, and were also aggressive in FA, signing guys like S Eric Weddle and WR Odell Beckham. They won the SB in 2021. In this scenario, it’s a philosophy of “Who cares about tomorrow, we’re going for it today.” To do something like this, it would also probably require trading Dak for picks (which I would be for)

• Scenario 3: I would call this the aggressive young roster “all in”. Trade Dak, get some picks, roll with Trey Lance, draft a QB in round 1 and use the other extra picks to bring a large infusion of young talent along with some sprinkled in medium level FAs. If they could draft a good RB in round 2-4 that could play immediately, add some OL talent that could bring back a running game, young talent at LB, they could possibly have a year similar to what the packers and lions had this year where they got better as the year went on and actually have a bright future.
I‘m sure there are other scenarios for “all in”. These just seemed the easiest to conceive. Of all these options I listed, I prefer the 2nd or 3rd scenarios. If I were to guess which one we will actually see, it will probably be the first scenario which is basically what Jerry always does. He believes in his own talent too much.

Means he is going to be in his seat at the stayjum. Him and Jethro.

JohnQ

Reaction score
I believe the entire discussion, including the "All In" aspect, revolved around Dak's contract negotiation. To me, Jerry was kind of taking the questions he was being asked and flipping them to be about what he actually wanted to talk about. While the inquiry was about going all in, Jerry redirected the focus to Dak's contract. It's crucial to note that Jerry wasn't referring to going all in as a team but rather going all in on specific players.

The distinctive aspect of this "all in" approach is that they intend to invest in different players than in the past, seemingly influenced by the 49ers. Jerry highlighted the 49ers' strategy of going all in on non-QBs while having multiple quarterbacks over the years, a tactic that has led them to the Super Bowl. He even mentioned studying their approach. When discussing a holistic approach, he essentially meant the same exact thing not putting all their resources into the quarterback position but spreading it across other players.

In response to questions about Coach Mike, Jerry shifted the focus to Mike's role in enhancing Dak's performance in the past year and aiding his future improvement. Jerry made it clear he thought Dak needed to improve specifically and not just the scheme. Therefore, the underlying message throughout was a communication to Dak and his contract. Jerry also hinted at ongoing contract negotiations, suggesting that despite working on getting this issue resolved for over two years, he couldn't do it alone, implying a lack of cooperation from Dak and his representatives.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Listening to a Jerry Jones presser requires the ability to try and make sense out of a word salad that frankly doesn’t usually make much sense. I couldn’t count how many times I’ve listened to him speak and thought, “What is he saying?” I find it quite humorous how often the man says, “Let me be clear“, followed by sentences that are anything that but clear.

• Scenario 2: The LA Rams and Tampa Bay models from 2020 and 2021. The Bucs behind their aggressive GM Jason Licht in 2020 threw an all in roster around Tom Brady, traded for some big name players like Leonard Fournette, and pushed a lot of cap chips to the center of the table on FAs, especially on defense. They won the SB. In 2021, Rams GM Les Snead got uber aggressive trading QB Jared Goff and some draft picks to Detroit in exchange for Matt Stafford. They also traded for star LB Vin Miller with Denver, traded for CB Jalen Ramsey, and were also aggressive in FA, signing guys like S Eric Weddle and WR Odell Beckham. They won the SB in 2021. In this scenario, it’s a philosophy of “Who cares about tomorrow, we’re going for it today.” To do something like this, it would also probably require trading Dak for picks (which I would be for)

IMO, you're way overthinking this. For JJ, "all in" translates to, "Let's do mostly the same old crap with some cosmetic changes, but we'll be even more determined, which will result in a championship." That hasn't worked for some 28 years, but somehow this time it will, I'm certain. /S

dupree89

Reaction score
It's all just marketing hype and another sales pitch, with scenario 1 being the most likely outcome.
Jerry knows the fans are upset, and "all in" has been a phrase that fans clamor to, and he is trying to use it to get fans to forget the failures of the past.
He may add a piece here or there, but he has NO intention of making a change at quarterback- meaning no matter what he does elsewhere, nothing changes.
He's still trying to sell gullible fans on Dak Prescott as the answer, and using the "all in" phrase to try and get them to give him another chance.
Nothing changes.
this is the post of the off season so far

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

I will believe " All In" when I see it.

Ozymandias

Reaction score
1 tier two FA
3 veteran minimum FAs
1 trade (low comp pick for aging vet, on minimum contract of course duhhh)
draft consisting of 1st rd: WR (Wak NEVER has enough weapons), 2nd rd: TE (because, it's a SECOND ROUND TE), 3rd rd: S 4th rd: LB 5th rd: RB 6th rd: DT
7th rd: traded on last day to SF for their 7th rd
Joe Whitt or the French coach as DC

We ALL IN and ready for the 2024 season

Right?:muttley: