Video: Trystan Hill: Good Tape

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
The more damning fact was how much time Hill spent on the bench. I thought he looked OK when he played, but the fact that the coaches were playing street free agents over him showed that Hill either really pissed them off or he was putting in some really bad practice reps during the week. Probably both.

The fact that UCF sat him the exact same way Dallas did makes me think it's a Hill problem rather than a coaching problem. He sounds like a huge pain in the butt, but he also plays in a league where talent trumps all. Murder charges, child abuse, personality disorders, coke addiction, DV - coaches have overlooked every one of those for players who were talented enough. Hill's benching suggests to me that he's both extremely immature/lazy and not that talented either. Not devoid of talent, but if he was starter material, you can bet he'd be starting.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Hill was expected to be a contributor. Instead, he played in only 11% of the defensive snaps and was a healthy scratch most of the season.

In the NFL, it’s always difficult to tag a player as a “bust.” Right now, fans and analysts are leaning that way.

Strength was his problem though. Coaches misjudged that if they thought he was ready to contribute.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
this is exclusively a highlight film - it doesn't break down pluses vs minuses OF Hill, not that it's much tape on him due to Marinelli putting him on the shelf
for much of the year.
The only i'm seeing that stands out is what has been known from him per draft time, Trysten has really good movement skills and get off for someone
supposedly 305 lbs. i really dunno what his instincts and knack for the game is like, and the only way you stand a chance of improving and developing
is to play. And that was simply not an option with Marinelli.
That said, it's gonna take another year in the rotation in a full season to really see what Trysten offers.

Time will tell what Hill's work ethic, drive and maturity will be like under the new coaching regime and we have established, well reputed coaches
and i'm inclined to entrust both them and Hill himself than i am with Rod Marinelli.
True it's a highlight film, but it's still more than I expected. It at least shows the ability to make some plays that I frankly wasn't sure he could. Still a long way from whether he can do it consistently, but it at least provides a bit of hope.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Strength was his problem though. Coaches misjudged that if they thought he was ready to contribute.
I've heard nothing to suggest they thought he was ready to contribute. I didn't know strength would be the issue but I Definitely didn't hear about anyone thinking he'd be ready. Fans assumed that because he was our 1st pick in the draft......

Kaiser

Reaction score
Not being asked to play at 1T when he hadn't done so before will help.

Also, expecting 22 year olds to have any clue who Isiah Thomas is ... just plain dumb that coaches would be upset about that. Kids his age do that in classrooms all the time. Not a good look but not the disrespectful act that people want to make it out to be.

Exactly. Isiah Thomas retired six years before Hill was born.

"Trysten, tell me all about Honus Wagner....... "

Kaiser

Reaction score
The fact that UCF sat him the exact same way Dallas did makes me think it's a Hill problem rather than a coaching problem. He sounds like a huge pain in the butt, but he also plays in a league where talent trumps all. Murder charges, child abuse, personality disorders, coke addiction, DV - coaches have overlooked every one of those for players who were talented enough. Hill's benching suggests to me that he's both extremely immature/lazy and not that talented either. Not devoid of talent, but if he was starter material, you can bet he'd be starting.

But UCF didn't "bench" Hill. They had a stupid thing of trying to make an example of their best player and having him sit out the first few snaps as punishment for not working hard enough in practice. Hill was their best player by a wide margin and the previous coaching staff gave Dallas great reviews of Hill. I put that issue mostly on the coaching staff there.

In terms of what happened last year? Who knows, probably some of it is on Hill and some of it is on Marinelli. I will keep an open mind at this point, Hill was always a project and you can see he has the physical skills. The key thing at this point is they aren't counting on him to take any significant number of reps.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Even with the injury problems on the D-line, Hill only managed to get on the field for 121 snaps. Needless to say, they were pretty forgettable snaps as well. :thumbdown:

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Good luck to Trystan. This team needs him to start becoming what they want him to be.
I hope he shows tangible improvement this coming year.

Prossman

Reaction score
Im willing yo give the kid a off season to see what he can do. He was a rookie for petesake. And a second round pick not a first. Let see what a real coaching staff can do with this kid.

Beaker42

Reaction score

I suggest putting the clip on mute when you watch it because the dude narrating makes it nearly unlistenable. However, he was able to provide some good clips (some All-22) of Hill making some plays last year which was encouraging.

It’s not to say Hill is a finished product but he may continue to develop with this new coaching staff and evolve into a solid/valuable rotation guy.

Check it out.

Nope. Your title is an oxymoron.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Im willing yo give the kid a off season to see what he can do. He was a rookie for petesake. And a second round pick not a first. Let see what a real coaching staff can do with this kid.
Watch this draft’s second rounders. I’m betting none of them have a rookie season as abysmal as our Thrill Hill.

Prossman

Reaction score
Watch this draft’s second rounders. I’m betting none of them have a rookie season as abysmal as our Thrill Hill.
The odd thing for me was when i did see him play he was solid, not great by any means but he didnt embarrass himself. i wish hed have gotten more reps

Beaker42

Reaction score
The odd thing for me was when i did see him play he was solid, not great by any means but he didnt embarrass himself. i wish hed have gotten more reps
Hard to get reps when you’re a healthy scratch for 8 games. It defies the imagination that we wasted a 2nd on this kid when he’d have been there in the 4th. Thornhill was the pick and we ***** it up.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score

I suggest putting the clip on mute when you watch it because the dude narrating makes it nearly unlistenable. However, he was able to provide some good clips (some All-22) of Hill making some plays last year which was encouraging.

It’s not to say Hill is a finished product but he may continue to develop with this new coaching staff and evolve into a solid/valuable rotation guy.

Check it out.

Muting the video, really good idea. Thank you for suggesting it. Hill did look good but it was cherry-picked. We all know he was a bit of a disappointment in his rookie season. He'll get better.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I don't know who is TrystAN Hill, but TrystEN Hill is who actually plays for the Dallas Cowboys. ;):p:D

Wood

Reaction score
Has there been a reported attitude problem since he has been a Cowboy?

Cowboys went out of their way to make him inactive most of season. Garrett/Marinelli were both big on practicing well to earn playing time. If you put that together you can infer he was not practicing well. From what we heard about him in college he can get down on himself fast if things don't go well at start. People who followed him in college warned about how important it was for him to start strong or he would loose confidence/sulk if things were not going well. I think you have to give him atleast 1 year of that type of immaturity. If he exhibits same attributes in year two it will be his final year in Dallas.