TS: Darren Woodson Warns Players About Mike Zimmer

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
Tough couch with a bunch of cup cake players that were too tired to take on the Packers. This is going to end well.

J_Allen

Reaction score
Yeah but what happens when everyone gets tired and decides to lay down again?

JustChip

Reaction score
Yeah, right. IF Zimmer is tough, the players will just run to Poppa Jerry.
I think “run to Jerry” ended with Deion leaving the building. The problem since and remains is Jerry being on the practice field and in the locker room. He hears player to player conversations which he wouldn’t if he wasn’t so infused.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
cause all that brought us unbridled success his last time here.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Tough couch with a bunch of cup cake players that were too tired to take on the Packers. This is going to end well.
It actually could end well. Look what Bill Parcells did in 2003 to an entire team of lazy, less talented players that spent three years in Dave Campo's country club.

Parcells kept Zimmer as his DC which tells me all I need to know about Zimmer's style.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
cause all that brought us unbridled success his last time here.
Aside from 2000 and 2004 Zimmer's defenses here were all very good. And his success continued in Cincinnati and Minnesota as well.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Aside from 2000 and 2004 Zimmer's defenses here were all very good. And his success continued in Cincinnati and Minnesota as well.
overall, we didn't get there. zimmer wasn't the answer last time and i just don't believe he will be the answer this time.

i'd much rather see a roll to something new and younger coaches. not people jones already knows.

not my call. his toy, he'll play with it as he likes.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
If our players, including Parsons, cannot take hard coaching and even dream that they know more about defense than a guy who’s been in it his whole life, then they need to go. I don’t care how talented a player is, if he can’t take criticism and hard coaching, you cannot win with him. As crazy as Charles Haley was, he liked being coached hard and responded 100% to Jimmy’s halftime toilet metaphor about the flushing being his career.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
overall, we didn't get there. zimmer wasn't the answer last time and i just don't believe he will be the answer this time.

i'd much rather see a roll to something new and younger coaches. not people jones already knows.

not my call. his toy, he'll play with it as he likes.
With McCarthy on the hot seat there is no way the Cowboys were going to roll with an unknown DC. That's why they were content to bring Quinn back if the Commanders didn't hire him.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score

---

Woodson wants them to know that Zimmer is not a "cuddly" coach. He's going to be tough every step of the way.

“He doesn’t have any ‘back up’ in him,” Woodson told ESPN's Todd Archer. “He’s going to set his feet. He will fight your *** tooth and nail, a lot like Bill Parcells. You’re going to do it his way. He might not be your best friend. It’s not going to be cuddly and kumbaya. That’s not happening. He’s going to test your mettle.”

ESPN analyst Marcus Spears on Zimmer: "He's a great man and he's a phenomenal football coach," Spears said. "Tough but fair and he cares about his guys. It was great to play for Zim even when he cursed me out."

---
Don’t make #11 get his binky and go back to his boy DQ. :muttley:

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
If our players, including Parsons, cannot take hard coaching and even dream that they know more about defense than a guy who’s been in it his whole life, then they need to go. I don’t care how talented a player is, if he can’t take criticism and hard coaching, you cannot win with him. As crazy as Charles Haley was, he liked being coached hard and responded 100% to Jimmy’s halftime toilet metaphor about the flushing being his career.
Hate to be the annoying know-it-all replier, but that’s wrong. Haley loved Switzer and other player’s coaches like Bill Walsh. But that’s because he was already chiseled right. You’re right though that he still responded well to the Jimster. That could have gone south so many times, but Jimmy knew how to take them to the edge and then step back. I think a better example is maybe Leon Lett? But that’s also extreme. Big papa bear type who didn’t fail drug tests when scared of Jimmy’s wrath.

Might have been better to have Zimm here 3 years ago when all these guys were snot-nosed rookies who didn’t know better much like many of Jimmy‘s Stars or the Romo/MB3/3-4 Gang who grew up with Parcells and Zimm. I think Zimm’s style is what they need in Hollywood Dallas. Not that DQ was bad at controlling the hype, but Zimm like Payton, saw first-hand a HOF Coach come storming in, kick @#$ and throw that privileged culture on its butt. He knows what to do…. Hopefully the players respond quickly and well. Could use some culture change.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
With McCarthy on the hot seat there is no way the Cowboys were going to roll with an unknown DC. That's why they were content to bring Quinn back if the Commanders didn't hire him.
well from what i've seen so far, they've always gone with the "known" - even mccarthy was a super bowl winner in GB. him on the hot seat really won't change anything regardless of who the DC is.

if jones really cared about said "hot seat" then jones would let mccarthy get who HE wanted in a prove it or you're gone scenario.

him picking zimmer is just jones 101. gamble enough to not have to gamble.

Last edited:

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

---

Woodson wants them to know that Zimmer is not a "cuddly" coach. He's going to be tough every step of the way.

“He doesn’t have any ‘back up’ in him,” Woodson told ESPN's Todd Archer. “He’s going to set his feet. He will fight your *** tooth and nail, a lot like Bill Parcells. You’re going to do it his way. He might not be your best friend. It’s not going to be cuddly and kumbaya. That’s not happening. He’s going to test your mettle.”

ESPN analyst Marcus Spears on Zimmer: "He's a great man and he's a phenomenal football coach," Spears said. "Tough but fair and he cares about his guys. It was great to play for Zim even when he cursed me out."
This will be interesting. :popcorn:

edited

Last edited:

NDGAEDE

Reaction score
I want to believe Zimmer could get this lot motivated and organized. But let's be realistic. We will have a few new starters, an entirely new scheme and almost entirely new defensive staff. It will take time to implement the system. I think we will struggle a bit to start, and it may be too long a learning curve, considering we have a tough schedule and the entire team is on a one year deal. There is a lot on the line and we cannot afford a slow start.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
Correctamundo.
the-fonz.gif

HabsCowboysOwn

Reaction score
Can't wait to see how well this hard-nosed no bs approach works on our collection of soft privileged gen z players led by Mr. Podcast, those usually don't respond too well to criticism and accountability.

Best case scenario he manages to get the most out of them, worse case scenario the clown show continues to grow and it makes for some quality entertainment.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Zimmer is gonna yell at everyone then Sam Williams won’t be an idiot and Kelvin Joseph won’t be out of the league. Maybe Nashon Wright will get on the field.

Count me in.