TS: Darren Woodson Warns Players About Mike Zimmer

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
He would know better than any of us.
There wasn’t any good tape of Mazi this season, but if he’s asked about him he’s not going to say anything negative. He’ll say what he’s suppose to say, that he hasn’t looked at the film or that he’s a young player with a lot of room to grow. It’s all going to be positive.

droopdog7

Reaction score
First, anyone that didn't already know this about Zim hasn't been around very long or hasn't paid attention (or both). He's in your face; period.

Personally, I do think we could use that right now. But fans are biased toward this kind of guy in general. IMO, you need structure and a plan. Sure, you need to have respect of the players but whether you are a players coach or like Zim is just fluff. Most important thing is whether he knows what he is doing with these players.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

---

Woodson wants them to know that Zimmer is not a "cuddly" coach. He's going to be tough every step of the way.

“He doesn’t have any ‘back up’ in him,” Woodson told ESPN's Todd Archer. “He’s going to set his feet. He will fight your *** tooth and nail, a lot like Bill Parcells. You’re going to do it his way. He might not be your best friend. It’s not going to be cuddly and kumbaya. That’s not happening. He’s going to test your mettle.”

ESPN analyst Marcus Spears on Zimmer: "He's a great man and he's a phenomenal football coach," Spears said. "Tough but fair and he cares about his guys. It was great to play for Zim even when he cursed me out."

---
Despite the negative spin by the clickbait press, this looks like an *endorsement* of Zimmer by Woodson, which I take as a very good sign.
Woodson has been a smart class act on and off the field forever. If he likes Zimmer, I'm happy with the choice.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Despite the negative spin by the clickbait press, this looks like an *endorsement* of Zimmer by Woodson, which I take as a very good sign.
Woodson has been a smart class act on and off the field forever. If he likes Zimmer, I'm happy with the choice.
I didn't take it to have any spin. It was just Woodson and Spears sharing their personal experience with Zimmer and his coaching style and both of them seem to respect him quite a bit.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I didn't take it to have any spin. It was just Woodson and Spears sharing their personal experience with Zimmer and his coaching style and both of them seem to respect him quite a bit.
"warn"
Generally a negative connotation while he actual quotes were positive.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Zimmer will be just what this team needs to eliminate the "country club" atmosphere that's prevailed for too long now. We need more like him. Being a buddy to players isn't his way to develop the toughness they need to get discipline. The penalty flags should decrease in number.

Last edited:

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mike Zimmer’s popularity and acceptance by players and especially by fans will be determined by wins as opposed to losses. Winning covers a multitude of sins. Losing makes everyone unwilling to put up with whatever the coach is selling.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
We can be warned all we want, we need proof we need to see it in practice, we need to see it when a player gets mad at this old school coach wanting things their way, and how players respond. Are they all going to be accountable and receptive to him??!
Darren Woodson just told you how it’s going to be. Did you ever play for Zimmer?