Tua failing physicals

Reid1boys

Reaction score
But you wanna guarantee a guy who can't pass physicals 8 million to back him up year 1? LOLOLOLOLOL
Jaylon Smith couldnt pass a physical before the draft either, could he? And Dak is the teams qb this year, make no mistake about that. If you draft this guy (Tua) it does 2 things.... if we eventually do sign Dak, you could easily trade Tua and get back the pick you used to draft him. If you dont sign dak, and Tua sat a year.... he is your starter the following season. Win, win. Having Tua may bring Dak to his senses.... because no matter how much he gets in a contract elsewhere, he will lose money in yearly income as his endorsements will dry up to almost nothing.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Your post said he was shredding poor defenses and not elite defenses, as represented by LSU and Auburn. That's simply not true. Furthermore, he was hurt last year. First his ankle, then his hip. If you're playing on a bad ankle, you're not going to be able to step into your throws.
Moreover, why would his interceptions being against good teams be a knock on him. That's like saying all of Dan Marino's interceptions were against elite corners like Deion Sanders, Rod Woodson, Aeneas Williams and Darrell Green. Okay. And? Marino probably threw picks against those guys but also threw touchdowns on them too.
No, Tua has elite passing skills. Durability? I'll give you that. But he torched Georgia, LSU, Oklahoma and Auburn as well as the Little Sister's of the Poor. ;)
I think Tua is a really good QB. I’m not saying he isn’t. I salute him as a guy who was excellent. But in context, he was on a college team loaded with dominant talent at every position. Not a knock on him but it’s a talent advantage he enjoyed in college that he won’t have in the NFL.

I am concerned about his not passing a physical so I do feel some of the rhetoric on here that he’s a lock to be dominant in the NFL is way premature. Is he a great college QB? For sure. Is he a lock to be great in the NFL? Not in my opinion.

Btw- my quote did not say he was shredding only poor defenses...here’s the literal quote:
“If he’s shredding the defenses of Louisiana-Lafayette or Colorado State, that is a completely different talent level than against Auburn or LSU.”

I was not saying he was ONLY shredding bad D’s. I was simply saying take note that a lot of his better days were against lesser talent. Just want to make sure that I’m accurately quoted. You’re free to disagree of course.

Last edited:

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not happening, next question.....

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
apparently based upon the Cowboys opinion also.... thus the reason his butt was tagged.
Ameatuer hour. The tag was simply to extend negotiations. I know you want it to mean something else.

Gaede

Reaction score
I don't believe any of the Tua rumours. He will go top five.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I think Tua is a really good QB. I’m not saying he isn’t. I salute him as a guy who was excellent. But in context, he was on a college team loaded with dominant talent at every position. Not a knock on him but it’s a talent advantage he enjoyed in college that he won’t have in the NFL.

But you can say that about any great college player. :huh:

Btw- my quote did not say he was shredding only poor defenses...here’s the literal quote:
“If he’s shredding the defenses of Louisiana-Lafayette or Colorado State, that is a completely different talent level than against Auburn or LSU.”

And I simply said that he shredded defenses the level of Auburn and LSU.

I was not saying he was ONLY shredding bad D’s. I was simply saying take note that a lot of his better days were against lesser talent. Just want to make sure that I’m accurately quoted. You’re free to disagree of course.

Well, when you're the best team or one of the better teams, everyone you play is going to be of lesser talent. But when he plays the better teams - which will be few when you're the best team - he has done well. Very well. With all due respect, your point is a distinction without a difference.
But we can agree to disagree.

luckyman76

Reaction score

I am concerned about his not passing a physical so I do feel some of the rhetoric on here that he’s a lock to be dominant in the NFL is way premature. Is he a great college QB? For sure. Is he a lock to be great in the NFL? Not in my opinion.

This method of talent assessment has been used before and sadly it just does not correlate at QB and I am not so sure at other positions either. It's hindsight without consistency. It essentially confines you to judging a player's success off of a couple of games and it just fails miserably. You could make this argument about Mahomes, Manziel, Kyler Murray, Jalen Hurts, Tua, and almost any QB and it just doesn't hold up. Hell, it applied to Dak too. What seems to hold up is having some undeniable core traits that include mental toughness, leadership, work ethic, and adaptability/knowledge of the game that seem to hold up better than others along with the situation the player enters. People go for a lot of physical metrics about height and arm strength but that rarely seems to be the issue. Look at Brady. The mental traits far exceed any of the physical traits in importance. Looking at Dak and his lower TOs I would not have predicted that coming into the NFL. Tua is very special. You put Burrow on the Bengals and I am not so sure he is better than Dalton in the end and may be a bust. Tua will not be a bust. Lately, the openness of teams to adapt to the QB has enabled more of these QBs to make a successful transition to the NFL so maybe that holds true for Burrow and Tua. Burrow was playing pitch and catch for 60TDs and we have seen this type of dominance before with Leinart where the WRs have 10 yards of separation on every play and you can make this same argument against Tua and Hurts for the talent that they had as well. None of them will have that same ease of success in the NFL. You have to go back to core traits and how they manifest as the players progress.

erod

Reaction score
Andy Dalton lol

Still isnt as bad as when @erod said Ryan Fitzpatrick was better lol
One day you'll realize that Dak is in that same category.

I've watched Fitzpatrick play well against good defenses many times. Dak.....almost never.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
This method of talent assessment has been used before and sadly it just does not correlate at QB and I am not so sure at other positions either. It's hindsight without consistency. It essentially confines you to judging a player's success off of a couple of games and it just fails miserably. You could make this argument about Mahomes, Manziel, Kyler Murray, Jalen Hurts, Tua, and almost any QB and it just doesn't hold up. Hell, it applied to Dak too. What seems to hold up is having some undeniable core traits that include mental toughness, leadership, work ethic, and adaptability/knowledge of the game that seem to hold up better than others along with the situation the player enters. People go for a lot of physical metrics about height and arm strength but that rarely seems to be the issue. Look at Brady. The mental traits far exceed any of the physical traits in importance. Looking at Dak and his lower TOs I would not have predicted that coming into the NFL. Tua is very special. You put Burrow on the Bengals and I am not so sure he is better than Dalton in the end and may be a bust. Tua will not be a bust. Lately, the openness of teams to adapt to the QB has enabled more of these QBs to make a successful transition to the NFL so maybe that holds true for Burrow and Tua. Burrow was playing pitch and catch for 60TDs and we have seen this type of dominance before with Leinart where the WRs have 10 yards of separation on every play and you can make this same argument against Tua and Hurts for the talent that they had as well. None of them will have that same ease of success in the NFL. You have to go back to core traits and how they manifest as the players progress.
I have no doubt Tua is special and won't be a bust. But the injuries do concern me. He needs a team who will protect him. He doesn't need a situation like the Archie Manning with the Saints, Jim Plunkett with the Patriots, and David Carr and DeShaun Watson with the Texans. They were so battered and bruised behind terrible offensive lines they were never able to live up to their great potential. Of course, Plunkett got a chance at redemption with the Raiders, and the jury is still out on Watson. But you get the point.
That's why I want the Cowboys to take Tua if he falls. If this team continues its philosophy of building the offensive line, and with the weapons we now have, Tua would DEFINITELY thrive in Dallas. But, alas, it looks like this is but a pipe dream. Sigh.

Swagger

Reaction score
Landing spot is a huge factor.

We still don't really know about Sam Darnold. He landed at possibly the worst offensive place for a rookie over the past two seasons. I think Kyler Murray will be so much better this season as the Cards will address their O Line and brought in a top 5 WR.

I personally think Prescott would be looking for a team right now had he been drafted by a team like the Jets or Dolphins. That's just my opinion. Some do not appreciate the offense he has being playing in. I can't think of any other rookie QB in recent years playing behind possibly two Hall of Fame offensive linenan over their first four seasons and another All Pro o-lineman for three of those seasons. Any way I digress...

My big concern with Tua is his injury history. Your heart would be in your mouth anytime he takes a hit. I personally think he will have a scratchy NFL career due to his health.

Swagger

Reaction score
So it's like yes Prescott was drafted in the 4th round and his base salary was chicken feed in comparison to other first rounders...flip side of the coin is that playing in such a favourable offense has facilitated his next contract that will likely guarantee him over $100 million and set him up for life.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have no doubt Tua is special and won't be a bust. But the injuries do concern me. He needs a team who will protect him. He doesn't need a situation like the Archie Manning with the Saints, Jim Plunkett with the Patriots, and David Carr and DeShaun Watson with the Texans. They were so battered and bruised behind terrible offensive lines they were never able to live up to their great potential. Of course, Plunkett got a chance at redemption with the Raiders, and the jury is still out on Watson. But you get the point.
That's why I want the Cowboys to take Tua if he falls. If this team continues its philosophy of building the offensive line, and with the weapons we now have, Tua would DEFINITELY thrive in Dallas. But, alas, it looks like this is but a pipe dream. Sigh.

Tyke I wouldn’t mind taking him as a mid day two pick- rounds 3-4, but I just don’t think he’ll fall that far unless his failed physicals continue.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Your post said he was shredding poor defenses and not elite defenses, as represented by LSU and Auburn. That's simply not true. Furthermore, he was hurt last year. First his ankle, then his hip. If you're playing on a bad ankle, you're not going to be able to step into your throws.
Moreover, why would his interceptions being against good teams be a knock on him. That's like saying all of Dan Marino's interceptions were against elite corners like Deion Sanders, Rod Woodson, Aeneas Williams and Darrell Green. Okay. And? Marino probably threw picks against those guys but also threw touchdowns on them too.
No, Tua has elite passing skills. Durability? I'll give you that. But he torched Georgia, LSU, Oklahoma and Auburn as well as the Little Sister's of the Poor. ;)
Tua played with an NFL caliber OL and a bevy of NFL WRs.
Until we see an Alabama QB succeed that knock is going to stick.
A healthy Tua would be a risky pick.

But the real issue is his health and that means he will be off many teams boards.

I suspect he goes round 2 when a team can have him under contract for a year longer and he costs very little while he sits and heals and develops.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Tua played with an NFL caliber OL and a bevy of NFL WRs.
But these receivers weren't getting the ball nearly as much as when Tua took over. No one knew the Alabama receivers outside the main one, whether Julio Jones, Amari Cooper or Calvin Ridley. Tua steps in and now Jerry Jeudy, Henry Ruggs, Javonta Smith and Jaylen Waddle are being toted as 1st round prospects. It's not simply having top talent, but how you use them. And everyone who has paid attention to the Alabama team recognizes that the passing game elevated itself several notches once Tua took the starting position.

Until we see an Alabama QB succeed that knock is going to stick.
Ken Stabler succeeded. Joe Namath succeeded. Richard Todd succeeded. It's a silly, and unfounded, correlation.

A healthy Tua would be a risky pick.
That's not what the experts say. But I'll concede you speak your opinion.

But the real issue is his health and that means he will be off many teams boards.
I agree with the health aspect. I don't know if we'll ever know which teams have him on their boards and which don't. Well, we'll know the team that chooses him had him on its board. But other than that team …

I suspect he goes round 2 when a team can have him under contract for a year longer and he costs very little while he sits and heals and develops.
I GUARANTEE you he will not last until the second round. And maybe I'm mistaken, but don't first-rounders get the longer rookie contracts?:huh:

luckyman76

Reaction score

I don't think Tua falls. I think the Dolphins will fail to trade up and take either him or Herbert at 5 and Chargers will take the other at 6. An acceptable scenario for me is I wanted to have the Dolphins fail to trade with Cincy and then get desperate with us and trade us their 3 1sts and 2nd for Dak. (I am sure it's not possible but I would at least like to hear from a credible source that we gauged Dak's trade value and are SURE it is as low as people say here. I don't buy it and I think that trading has never been an option.) Take Tua at 5 and then let the slaughter begin on picks on D. Sign Cam to very reasonable contract with outs. I think teams are worried about Cam's shoulder and not his foot but he has been throwing. If you look at Tua's injuries you have a couple bad high ankle sprains, a wrist, and the hip. Really, the hip is the serious injury and I believe he is recovered from that and all reports are that he looks great throwing. I think he knows and we know this would be the best situation for him. If he was magically at 17 we would take him. If Lamb or Jeudy is there and he is not we are taking them. I have a feeling none of those players fall to us and we will be lucky to get Henderson who also may not fall that far.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I don't think Tua falls. I think the Dolphins will fail to trade up and take either him or Herbert at 5 and Chargers will take the other at 6. An acceptable scenario for me is I wanted to have the Dolphins fail to trade with Cincy and then get desperate with us and trade us their 3 1sts and 2nd for Dak. (I am sure it's not possible but I would at least like to hear from a credible source that we gauged Dak's trade value and are SURE it is as low as people say here. I don't buy it and I think that trading has never been an option.) Take Tua at 5 and then let the slaughter begin on picks on D. Sign Cam to very reasonable contract with outs. I think teams are worried about Cam's shoulder and not his foot but he has been throwing. If you look at Tua's injuries you have a couple bad high ankle sprains, a wrist, and the hip. Really, the hip is the serious injury and I believe he is recovered from that and all reports are that he looks great throwing. I think he knows and we know this would be the best situation for him. If he was magically at 17 we would take him. If Lamb or Jeudy is there and he is not we are taking them. I have a feeling none of those players fall to us and we will be lucky to get Henderson who also may not fall that far.

I doubt Dak's trade value is that high. I think if a team didn't have to give up a high draft pick for him, he'd get signed somewhere. But he's not commanding a 1st round pick, let alone two. He's simply not seen in that light. Think Alex Smith and Kirk Cousins with more wiggle.
If Tua drops to No. 17, my prediction is we're going to take him. The one thing a new coach is HIS quarterback, unless a franchise quarterback is already waiting for him. See what Andy Reid did with the Eagles (McNabb) and the Chiefs (Mahomes). See what Belichick did with the Patriots (Brady). Coaches want THEIR quarterback.
I personally think the hesitancy on the Joneses' part is from McCarthy. I think they talked about Dak during McCarthy's interview at Jerry's home. I think McCarthy gave an honest assessment of Dak. So, this year is an evaluation year for Dak. But if the right quarterback is available at #17, I think the Cowboys, for McCarthy's sake, will take him. Then, if Dak falters, Tua is ready to take over next year. If Dak succeeds (and I think success means playoff success and, at least, an NFC Championship appearance), then a healthy Tua becomes trade bait. But if Dak doesn't make huge strides, I don't think he's going to be here very long because McCarthy anxiously wants to win another Super Bowl and provide himself as a legendary coach. He's not going to do that without the right quarterback. History has proven that (See Nolls-Bradshaw, Landry-Staubach, Reeves-Elway, Shanahan-Elway, Belichick-Brady, Grant-Tarkenton, Shula-Griese, Walsh-Montana, Lombardi-Starr, Johnson-Aikman).

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Ameatuer hour. The tag was simply to extend negotiations. I know you want it to mean something else.
it doesnt mean anything but what it is. He was tagged. You should be able to spell AMATEUR before you start talking about it. Name me a top 5 QB that has been tagged in the past 10 years? Or lets see.. Brees ever been tagged? Brady? Peyton Manning? ........nope, because those teams had no doubts about their QB and how much he would/should be paid.
The tag speaks volumes... you just arent too good at reading between the lines.

Last edited:

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
it doesnt mean anything but what it is. He was tagged. You should be able to spell AMATEUR before you start talking about it. Name me a top 5 QB that has been tagged in the past 10 years? Or lets see.. Brees ever been tagged? Brady? Peyton Manning? ........nope, because those teams had no doubts about their QB and how much he would/should be paid.
The tag speaks volumes... you just arent too good at reading between the lines.
Typo, my bad. My opinion on why he was tagged is much more logical than you Magic 8-Ball theory, but that's your opinion. I couldn't care less what a blowhard thinks.
I guess we'll see.